Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:33 pm

Author Topic: Insurance Auto Renewal  (Read 1490 times)

fazerfan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Insurance Auto Renewal
« on: 28 July 2019, 08:30:31 pm »
A word of caution on auto-renewal.

A week before mine was due for my Multi Bike Insurance (product name) with Carole Nash in June this year, I contacted them and added my car (new last year so years free insurance with Toyota was expiring).

This moved me to their Six Wheel Insurance and I paid immediately by Debit Card the requirement amount. I asked what I should do re the bike element that was due shortly and was clearly told not to pay that then as it would indeed still be 'auto-renewed'.

Now I know we are advised to check it has been taken from your bank on the renewal date (so need to tell me) but auto-renewal was introduced by the Government to avoid accidental non-renewal by motorists, but, as you've gathered from the title, it wasn't.

I found out 3 weeks after the due renewal date so had 4 machines with no cover for that period.

I immediately rang Carole Nash and they apologised and took the Debit Card payment - without me even having to provide the 3 digit code!  So the fault wasn't at my end.

The upshot, so far, is they still say I had no cover, BUT would pay any court fines. So who would be potentially disqualified I asked?

I had the evening before checked on the Motor Insurers Database (MID) and discovered the non insured aspect (which led to a somewhat sleepless night in itself) yet I also noticed that one machine was now recorded as a completely different Made and Model.  Carole Nash had it correct before and I have the documents to show this.

Both these aspects are the subject of a Complaint to Carole Nash as I raised the second one when I renewed the bike cover and again when I rang couple of days later as it still was and, at the time of writing this four days after they received it, it still is even though they are all now shown as Insured.

The moral of the story.  Either don't trust Carole Nash's statement of 'we will auto renew 5 days before' and 'you have nothing to worry about' and ring on the day. Or, don't use Carole Nash.

Any one else come across this problem that could leave us stranded by the roadside, bike seized, fined or even disqualified - if used more than once before YOU realise.  And all because Carole Nash hasn't any check or back up system.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance Auto Renewal
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2019, 11:23:49 am »
Handy to know, as i got insured with them 2 months ago, although if i remember correctly i did ask them not to auto renew as i'm not really a fan of it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazerfan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2019, 11:39:43 am »
A point I didn't mention is that whilst, to me at least, I have the one Six Wheel Insurance' product and having taken what is effectively the 1st instalment they then failed to take the 2nd.

The irony being that had I elected to take their monthly instalment plan (typically 10 or 12 months) I would have been in credit and with continuous cover even had they not taken a Direct Debit payment.

I'll post the outcome.

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2019, 05:52:27 pm »
I stayed with CN far too long due to my own laziness. Every year for the last few years they've got something wrong that I had to phone and get corrected. This year I rang them to tell them I'm changing to Bennetts, I got a reminder about auto renew 2 days later so I had to ring again. My old policy ends in 2 days and the new one starts. I'm still expecting them to take my money despite being told twice, I'll let you know.

Cheers

John
The devil made me do it!

Don71uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2019, 07:51:15 pm »

Phone your credit card company and tell them you have lost your card, they will then cancel the card, then CN won’t be able to take the payment, your cc company will issue you a new card with a new number.

(Or whatever card details CN have)

Don.

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2019, 09:55:26 pm »
Good idea but we're on a biking holiday in Ireland at the mpoment, I need my cards  :lol

Cheers

John
The devil made me do it!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2019, 06:42:20 am »
I've read a few times now that the best time to insure a vehicle is 21 days before the renewal date.
Some of the more vocal insurers have openly admitted that previous statistics have clearly shown that riskier road users tend to leave their insurance to the last minute, and insurers have totally picked up on this bit of info, no doubt adding to the fact that they realize you are now also desperate for cover anyway, so prices will generally rise the nearer it gets to the renewal date.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2019, 07:32:09 pm »
Re my above post, in fairness I haven't heard a thing from CN.

Cheers

John
The devil made me do it!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2019, 12:07:30 pm »
I think the saying "Caveat Emptor"(Let the buyer beware) especially applies with insurance companies. If you read all the small print in their policies it becomes clear that they will wriggle out of their obligations if you fail to tell them of the slightest change to your original declaration,on which they base their quotation for cover. I was with Carole Nash(Cash?) for far too long until I realised that the motorist/rider is viewed as a Cash(Nash?) Cow to be milked to the utmost.
Moral of this tale. Renew Early as mentioned, Do not remain loyal to one company-they will penalise you for doing so-shop around for the best deal(not always the same as lowest price).
Finally do not let them auto renew or,if this happens, make a note to cancel in good time before end of cover period.
I have a friend who either through laziness or fear of modern technology always pays more than necessary and guess who all his bikes are covered with!