Date: 27-04-24  Time: 05:51 am

Author Topic: Bathroom insulation  (Read 949 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Bathroom insulation
« on: 16 April 2019, 12:15:46 am »
Paging the Foccer font of all knowledge...!

A bit of a long explanation to start with...

My 3 bed house (built around 1900) didn't have a bathroom when it was constructed.

There was a "back door" between the (central) stairs and the kitchen, leading to an alleyway down the side of the house, but then someone built a utility room (with a new back door) on the back of the house with the wall extending the whole width of the property, including blocking the alleyway.

They then put a wall halfway down the alleyway and a sloping roof down from there to the new back wall of the house (ie the one that goes across from the utility room)

So I have a bathroom which is (internally) about 10' x 4' and the ceiling goes from 7'2" at one end to 5'6" at the other end.

Some tiles fell off the wall by the bath yesterday, so I've decided that I'm going to get rid of the bath, put in a shower cubicle and get it insulated properly, because the walls at either end and along the alleyway wall are all single-skinned with just a layer of fibreboard between them and the tiles, which means it's an absolute fridge in the winter!

The only good thing is that the sloping roof is insulated, because, when we've had snow and the heating has been on in the bathroom, the snow on the roof has not melted.

What I want to do is to get some foam blocks or panels to insulate the outer walls (the inside wall doesn't need it), but I don't know whether this is something I could do myself or whether I'd need to get it done professionally.

Also I'd need to finish the inside surfaces somehow. Can I just paint over them or would there be more to it?

Attached are some pics: Bathroom-1 shows the door in (I bodged a temporary fix where the tiles came off with some clingfilm and gaffer tape!)
Bathroom-2 shows the left wall (as you go in). I want to get rid of the bath, put in a shower cubicle and insulate the left wall and the long wall section behind the bath where the tiles fell off.

Ideally (I think there's enough room under the floorboards and joists) I'd like to get the shower pan sunk into the floor as my girlfriend is 6'1" and can't get under the shower properly at the moment.

Bathroom-3 shows the basin which is on a boxed-out section (I think there is probably a brick pillar behind that) and the loo and right wall.

Given the lack of space around the loo, it may need thinner insulation otherwise there's nowhere to go ;) but given there's sod-all insulation at the moment, anything would be a benefit!

Has anyone used this sort of insulation and could comment?

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Bathroom insulation
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2019, 06:07:43 am »
Insulated plasterboard is available https://www.building-supplies-online.co.uk/insulated-plasterboard-gyproc-thermaline-basic-various-sizes.html?utm_source=google_shopping&447=2676&aid=27473&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIluuJiuvT4QIVYb7tCh3_nAI4EAQYAiABEgKjpPD_BwE

As long as it’s secured to the existing wall properly I assume it can be tiled over, never tried though!

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2019, 06:11:38 am »
You can get low profile shower trays which should be ok in terms of water volume if you retain the electric shower. The waste can go under the floor boards assuming you have a sufficient drop to get it into the stack pipe, or even out of the wall into a drain as it will be combined rain / waste on an older property.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2019, 07:26:29 am »

Graham

I have been fitting bathrooms for a living for around 18 years now. I live just outside Portsmouth. If it's helpful I can pop round and advise...

You have various options when it comes to insulation, as with everything they all have their ups and downs....
is it clean enough?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2019, 11:41:35 am »
Fantastic generous offer there from bludclot - and an expert. If you have the money demolish the whole lot and rebuild to proper spec - you would no doubt even need new foundations.

Second option is to start from scratch with the whole room - rip everything out and re do the layout with the loo at the low end. Personally I do not like shower tray waste pipes under the floorboards and so raise the tray. I can then use a  mira flight shower waste trap which has a section on the bottom that you can unscrew and clean out, by fitting a removable plinth I can get to it. The local council houses have recently just all been cladded with outside insulation that looks like it has added about 3 inch to the outside it has then been pebble dashed.Fitting an extractor fan is also a good idea.

« Last Edit: 16 April 2019, 11:43:51 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2019, 06:11:23 pm »
I have been fitting bathrooms for a living for around 18 years now. I live just outside Portsmouth. If it's helpful I can pop round and advise...

You have various options when it comes to insulation, as with everything they all have their ups and downs....

That would be fantastic! Thanks so much :thumbup

I'll drop you a PM...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2019, 06:14:27 pm »
If you have the money demolish the whole lot and rebuild to proper spec

I wish I could, but that would be too expensive :(

I do not like shower tray waste pipes under the floorboards and so raise the tray.

That's not really an option for my GF.

The local council houses have recently just all been cladded with outside insulation that looks like it has added about 3 inch to the outside

That would only work for the end walls. The other side of the 10' wall is next-door's alleyway and they might object to me taking up their space...!