Date: 19-04-24  Time: 10:59 am

Author Topic: Ivan's jet kit's  (Read 942 times)

happycallis

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ivan's jet kit's
« on: 17 July 2019, 08:34:33 am »
Morning all, I've searched this but still not sure.

I'm after an Ivan's jet kit but not 100% sure which one to go for. I have a pipercross filter and an akrapovic can fitted already but not sure which kit to go for.

What's people's personal preference to the kits?

Cheers

Mat

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Ivan's jet kit's
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2019, 10:42:09 am »
First question, are you 100% certain it hasn't been 'Ivanised' already?  The Pipercross filter and Akra can sound like the sort of mods that would accompany a Full Monty installation using Ivan's MB jet kit.  MB is short for 'modified (air)box'.

If it is stock, which kit you choose depends on whether you're OK with modifying the airbox lid and the intake stubs along with the actual jet kit installation.  The latter is the same whichever kit you choose but the extra work required to do the airbox and stubs might put some folk off. 

Personally, with the Pipercross filter and Akra can, I would go with the MB kit and the additional mods which are what is known as the Full Monty. :)

happycallis

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2019, 11:10:28 am »
I have put the akra and the pipercross in so 100% sure that is not need done. If I do the full monty I might just buy some second hand carbs and intake stubs so I can do it at my leisure. I know the stubs need to be done while I have access to the head to make sure they are the correct size it's more so I can choose the best condition ones.

How easy is the air box to mod? As I can only take the bike off the road for a max of a day at a time.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2019, 11:48:06 am by happycallis »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2019, 10:30:12 pm »
The airbox lid takes me 10 minutes but I've done a few ... ;)  Allow an hour and that should be fine.

The intake stubs will take you a couple of hours, I suspect.  You should also be aware that the socket heads holding the stubs to the head can be corroded in place.  It is essential that you use a quality socket head driver and not a basic Allen key to remove them.  You can do most of the porting work on the stubs without needing to compare them with the intakes on the head, so you could have those pretty much done and just finish them off when you have access to the head.

Although in theory you should be able to do all the mods within 6 or 7 hours as a first-timer, it's not ideal to put yourself under time pressure to complete everything in one day.  Better to have a day in hand to cope with the unexpected, particularly as these bikes are well over a decade old now. :)