Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:32 am

Author Topic: Starting to miss the old thou - fiddling has commenced  (Read 1318 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Starting to miss the old thou - fiddling has commenced
« on: 04 July 2020, 09:52:19 pm »
 I guess I’m starting to miss my Fazer.  She’s sorn and was lying abandoned at the side of the garage while I tried to make up my mind what to do about her.  So, travel restriction has been lifted this weekend in Scotland, but guess what – it’s pissing down.  So, I started fiddling.

There’s no hurry here.  Just do one thing at a time, and as I please or not.  Of course, I worry I might start breaking things.   If I do, or I get bored, I can always off-load her – presumably.  Also there is still space for another a bike – I keep searching e-bay…………..hmmm.

Having bought the FZS1000 zero miles pre-reg in 2004, the one thing I regret is not popping the downpipes off a dozen years ago or so!   Looking at them now I’m thinking – just leave em.  I’m guessing some of them will just snap if I try.

So, radiator is off, for a clean up and a lick of paint.  Wondering if I should treat the bike to a new set of hoses.  I’ve seen the Samco stuff – but umm, 175 quid a set!  Is there anything else out there?

And, has anybody managed to change the wee short hose behind the downpipes – that is without first removing the downpipes?  Can it be done.  I take it all the other hoses are straightforward?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Starting to miss the old thou - fiddling has commenced
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2020, 09:53:28 pm »
Here's what the downpipes look like.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2020, 10:04:41 pm »
I’ve seen a lot worse. A good soaking for a few days with Plus Gas, and providing you’ve got  a decent six sided socket, give it a go.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2020, 10:14:29 pm »
 Cheers Robbo.  I guess they could be a lot worse, certainly the nuts are good enough for a socket to grip.  But……..

Anybody swapped that wee hose out without taking them off?    Anything else behind them that I need concern myself with. 

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2020, 10:19:26 am »
be worth doing mate. im guessing mine will look the same

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2020, 06:13:49 pm »

be worth doing mate. im guessing mine will look the same
I’d love to get behind there and clean everything up.  And change that hose – I take your Fazer is all original hoses too?

Anyway, lots of other things to do.  But maybe I might come back to those downpipes.  Another option would be to get a quote from a decent bike mechanic – as I’m thinking mine probably aren’t that much of a challenge to an experienced mechanic.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2020, 05:57:11 pm »
im deffo doing my studs this winter. ie changing them for stainless. Is plus gas still the best penetrant fellers? VNA any idea what dinged your downpipe mate?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2020, 06:18:02 pm »
Plus Gas was what I used last year on my Speed Triple. Got them all out, and they'd been in there 25 years.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2020, 06:40:46 pm »
good enough Robbo ta mate plus gas it is

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2020, 09:18:47 pm »

VNA any idea what dinged your downpipe mate?
No idea to be honest.  I just noticed the ding one day.  I can only presume some a car kicked up a decent sized stone – glad it hit the downpipe and not the oil filter.

Anyway looking at my studs, there may be some hope there.  From left to right no.1 and no.4 look OK-ish,  no. 2 is the worst.  The stud towards the centre doesn’t look good – it’s right in line with the front wheel and I don’t mind the rain that much.  It’s full of crap in there, so I need to have a good clean and have a closer look.  No.3, the one nearest the centre sits higher and has been protected a little by the radiator.

Anyway other jobs to do first.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2020, 09:19:35 pm »
Plus Gas was what I used last year on my Speed Triple. Got them all out, and they'd been in there 25 years.
That sounds good.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2020, 10:40:54 am »
theres some sort of tool i saw in a big engineering workshop that works kinda like me ultrasonic tank...attaches to a bolt or stud, then puts high frequency waves sort of like tiny vibrations through it for twelve hours or so, which frazzles the rust bond between the threads. Wind straight out clean. be great if they brought out a small, inexpensive version of that.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2020, 01:12:20 pm »
theres some sort of tool i saw in a big engineering workshop that works kinda like me ultrasonic tank...attaches to a bolt or stud, then puts high frequency waves sort of like tiny vibrations through it for twelve hours or so, which frazzles the rust bond between the threads. Wind straight out clean. be great if they brought out a small, inexpensive version of that.

Think the wife might have something like that in her beside drawer 🤔 might be worth trying 😂

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 July 2020, 01:26:48 pm »
If they won't budge, don't force it.  Try doing it up very slightly, no joy heat is your friend, either gas or I use induction coil heater when I can't get torch in or I don't want heat damage to surrounding area.   
Later