Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:42 am

Author Topic: Quickshifter  (Read 3729 times)

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Quickshifter
« on: 27 November 2018, 05:43:01 pm »
has anyone installed a quickshifter on their gen1 thou.
Have been looking at healtechs version, looks ok.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
Re: Quickshifter
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2018, 06:00:34 pm »
I've got the h&m one on mine , works well , easy to install and set up, connects to the coil and cuts them when you move the lever up, has 3 sensitivity modes.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

mw2018

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - fzr600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2018, 08:45:26 pm »
never ridden a bike with a quickshifter on - how do you use it? tap the gearlever or what? how about downshifts? can it do that or not?

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2018, 03:23:44 pm »
A quickshifter gives you the ability to change gear without backing off of the throttle, it momentarily cuts the ignition at the coils which unloads the engine and allows you to change gear, up the box not down.
Full power shifts so to speak.

mw2018

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - fzr600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2018, 10:01:18 pm »
oh, ok. how do you operate it then? via the gearlever somehow?

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2018, 10:52:20 am »
There is a micro pressure sensor in line with the shift rod, as soon as you apply pressure to the lever the sensor signals the electronics box and kills the ignition for a predetermined amount of time, usually between 0.05 and 0.2 second.
This kind can be had for about 250 gbp.
The down side is that the injectors are still firing and with modern pistons having thin crowns you could conceivably shorten the life of your pistons through detonation because you have more than one measure of fuel in the cylinder when it starts firing again.
To prevent this there is another kind that also connects to the injectors but they are way more expensive and complicated to set up.
Edit
Just to put some numbers to this. At 8000 rpm the injectors and plugs are firing at 33 times every second.
So if you cut the ignition for 0.1 second you are still getting 3 times more fuel in the cylinder than you should have.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 11:02:41 am by celticbiker »
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2018, 01:35:13 pm »
quickshifters cut the ignition to each coil via their own pattern but that momentary ignition cut doesn’t mean that the cylinder will have more fuel in it the next time it fires, the unburnt fuel will exit out of the exhaust valves in the normal way.

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2020, 01:49:00 pm »
I've got the h&m one on mine , works well , easy to install and set up, connects to the coil and cuts them when you move the lever up, has 3 sensitivity modes.
Any other installed this? Does it work both ways? Just want to know if it's wise to spend over 300 pounds on this or not

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2020, 07:07:33 pm »
  For track days and racing I can understand having a quick shifter, but on the road I fail to see any good reason for one.  :rolleyes

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2020, 07:32:55 pm »
There can't be one surely? quickshifters,antiwheelie,seamless boxes,etc,etc,fuckin'etc.load of bollocks on the road. :groan
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2020, 07:43:20 pm »
Having driven my new Audi q3 with S tronic seamless gear change I've been wondering why the hell haven't we got this on bikes yet.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2020, 09:52:55 pm »
Any other installed this? Does it work both ways? Just want to know if it's wise to spend over 300 pounds on this or not

I personally couldn't see the point of spending £300 on something that saves about 0.5 seconds of acceleration.
If your good a clutchless upshifts then you only come off the throttle for a fraction of a second anyway and you can do that for free so this really is a waste of money in my opinion

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2020, 06:15:47 pm »
Thank you guys for the feedback, will be passing on this then. Spending money on something else :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2020, 07:14:41 pm »
A very wise decision  :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2020, 06:35:47 pm »
 Anyway, last year I test rode an MT10, a CB1000R and a R1250R.  Both the MT10 and R1250R had quick shifters.

First up was the MT10, I did actually ask if they could switch the quick shifter off as I was worried it would get in the way on the test ride.  No it can’t, and yes it did.  It’s hard to change the habit of a lifetime. I change up without the clutch all the time, I just snap the throttle closed then open, at the same time as prodding the gear lever.  It’s like an automatic reflex.  The MT10 did not like this behaviour one bit, I had to work hard against my instinctive reflex, but towards the end of the test ride I was starting to get the hang of it.  However, I felt that the quick shifter was a bit crude, but maybe that was just me not being used to it.

Next up was the CB1000R.  No quickshifter, so no problems.

Then the R1250R.  I asked again if the quick shifter could be switched off.  Nope sorry.  They told me just to use the clutch like normal if I didn’t want to quick shift.  They didn’t understand when I told them that that’s not normal to me.  Anyway, my brain had actually managed to get the hang of it after the MT10.  But I just found the thing crude and somewhat mechanically unsympathetic – it’s rough.  So, I ended up rolling off the throttle a fraction to compensate – so what’s the point?  Oh, the R1250R had an auto-blipper too, I just about remembered this towards the end of my 2hr test ride.  Maybe it wasn’t set up right, but I only tried it twice, rough as foc – nasty.

As far as I am concerned quick shifters are for racers.  Clutchless shifting without one is easy, anybody can do it.  Leaning to brake and blip the throttle whilst going down the box ain’t that hard either.  Learning these simple skills adds pleasure to riding a bike.

So quick shifter – it’s a no thanks from me. 

ven

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2020, 03:48:43 pm »
never ever used one, had a blast on my mates tracer 900gt and it was excellent

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2020, 11:57:22 pm »

As far as I am concerned quick shifters are for racers.  Clutchless shifting without one is easy, anybody can do it.  Leaning to brake and blip the throttle whilst going down the box ain’t that hard either.  Learning these simple skills adds pleasure to riding a bike.

:agree Same here VNA cannot see any good reason for having them and/or not being able to switch them off on road bikes.
Wonder if you just replaced the shift shaft and left the quickshifter connected and tied up under the seat what effect would it have?

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2020, 06:51:29 pm »
  For track days and racing I can understand having a quick shifter, but on the road I fail to see any good reason for one.  :rolleyes

It´s ONLY for the noise and spitting of fire.....sound and fire are dear to me! :) (and i got launchcontrol on it as well wich is fun AF)

tommyteeman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Husqvarna 701 sm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 June 2020, 09:55:08 pm »
 :thumbup :thumbup  to quickshifters, I think they are great. Haven’t got one one on my thou, but will probably fit one at some point. If you like to pin the throttle and snick up through the gears get one.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2020, 04:18:19 pm »
thank you for all of your replies and I appreciate the comments of those who don’t see the need to have one.
I’ve been riding since I was 17 and quickly discovered the art of clutchless upshifts on yamaha LCs, however, just because I can upshift, it still doesn’t negate the desire to have a quickshifter, We all like a little customisation don’t we. :)

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2020, 07:07:51 pm »
I did pull the trigger and installed one from Healtech

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 June 2020, 02:44:03 pm »
What do you think of it and was it an easy install.

essiec

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 June 2020, 10:27:44 am »
Didn't have one on my KTM 1190 Adventure but did on my 790 Adventure and can say it was fantastic. Definitely an improvement with a pillion as there's no rocking when you have to roll the throttle with no QS - just keep the throttle wide open and change up, smooth as silk.
What it doesn't like is changing up on part throttle, as it does clunk into gear. Best to only use it changing up from 2nd and above. 1st to 2nd is clunky anyway.
If you're on part throttle just change as normal.

But going up motorway slip roads at full throttle through the gears is addictive.....

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 June 2020, 12:02:40 pm »
Didn't have one on my KTM 1190 Adventure but did on my 790 Adventure and can say it was fantastic. Definitely an improvement with a pillion as there's no rocking when you have to roll the throttle with no QS - just keep the throttle wide open and change up, smooth as silk.
What it doesn't like is changing up on part throttle, as it does clunk into gear. Best to only use it changing up from 2nd and above. 1st to 2nd is clunky anyway.
If you're on part throttle just change as normal.

But going up motorway slip roads at full throttle through the gears is addictive.....
Mine actually adapts the timing of changes depending on where you are gearwise and revrange, so very smooth all over.

//M

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 June 2020, 05:33:01 pm »
Anyway, last year I test rode an MT10, a CB1000R and a R1250R.  Both the MT10 and R1250R had quick shifters.

First up was the MT10, I did actually ask if they could switch the quick shifter off as I was worried it would get in the way on the test ride.  No it can’t, and yes it did.  It’s hard to change the habit of a lifetime. I change up without the clutch all the time, I just snap the throttle closed then open, at the same time as prodding the gear lever.  It’s like an automatic reflex.  The MT10 did not like this behaviour one bit, I had to work hard against my instinctive reflex, but towards the end of the test ride I was starting to get the hang of it.  However, I felt that the quick shifter was a bit crude, but maybe that was just me not being used to it.

Next up was the CB1000R.  No quickshifter, so no problems.

Then the R1250R.  I asked again if the quick shifter could be switched off.  Nope sorry.  They told me just to use the clutch like normal if I didn’t want to quick shift.  They didn’t understand when I told them that that’s not normal to me.  Anyway, my brain had actually managed to get the hang of it after the MT10.  But I just found the thing crude and somewhat mechanically unsympathetic – it’s rough.  So, I ended up rolling off the throttle a fraction to compensate – so what’s the point?  Oh, the R1250R had an auto-blipper too, I just about remembered this towards the end of my 2hr test ride.  Maybe it wasn’t set up right, but I only tried it twice, rough as foc – nasty.

Don't you think however smooth and used to it you are changing without the clutch puts wear on some parts of the box? I would have thought just fanning the lever and dropping the revs a gnats' would be a far kinder way of going up the box,then again if you've had no problems doing it fair enough,I personally do it if I'm going for it through the gears but not as a constant thing,only my opinion . ;)
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.