Date: 19-04-24  Time: 21:46 pm

Author Topic: Hiss after/on gear change gen 1 fzs1000  (Read 755 times)

Nickfrn89

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Kawasaki z750
    • View Profile
Hiss after/on gear change gen 1 fzs1000
« on: 30 July 2020, 06:26:16 pm »
I went out with the mrs on it yesterday to york, getting weird hisses on gear changes. Its like a squeak which i have recorded and will post a link so you can see what i mean. So I am not overly mechanical, i can manage a service myself but this might be beyond me. It has an exup valve so i thought it might be that so i got some copper slip and will service that saturday. My worry is its clutch related in which case ill have to put it into a garage to sort and goodbye saved money this month. If anyone could shed some light I would very much appreciate it.

https://youtu.be/yxzyX183mf0 You can hear the hiss/ squeak at 7 seconds and 30 seconds, sorry about poor quality i taped my phone to my tank and did a few laps of the culdisack.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Hiss after/on gear change gen 1 fzs1000
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2020, 06:41:32 pm »
Sounds like a very dry worn chain/sprockets, possibly over tight.

Later

Nickfrn89

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Kawasaki z750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2020, 06:55:52 pm »
Hmm chain and sprocket are fairly new and i checked the tension and cleaned and lubed it 2 weeks ago. Are you referring to the hiss or just in general?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2020, 07:21:48 pm »
Mate its almost impossible to diagnose spurious noises, via UTube, what I heard was what I've stated.  If the chain/sprockets are new, correctly fitted and adjusted it would rule them out.  Is the wheel correctly aligned?

I have to say I can't hear anything like a hiss, just chain noise and gear selector.  Has this noise you're hear just started or did it start after the new chain was fitted, or has there been any other work carried before this noise started?
Later

Nickfrn89

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Kawasaki z750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2020, 07:25:35 pm »
Yep sorry fella i didn’t mean owt by it. Just started on its own, been running fine all season. Ill just bite the bullet and book it in, cheers anyway.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2020, 10:38:48 pm »
Check the wheel alignment and make sure the rear caliper isn't binding, very easy to check ride it don't use the rear brake after a few miles check the discs temperature.  Caution don't touch it, often you can feel the heat by hovering you hand next to it, or spit on it, sizzles or evaporates very quickly the caliper is binding. 

If you've got a hugger check it's not fouling the tyre, it's also possible the bearing in the rear clutch hub, sprocket carrier to you and me is on its way out, or perhaps one of the wheel bearings.

Lets us know how you get on mate, good luck. 

Later