Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:03 pm

Author Topic: Seized rear brake callipers  (Read 930 times)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Seized rear brake callipers
« on: 20 May 2014, 03:39:54 pm »
Finally caught the Fazer 600 sticky rear brake lurgy. Popped in to garage for new brake pads on back and they had a right job getting pistons apart to accommodate new pads. 

They don't seem massively bad, can't hear them scraping when I push bike about and they do give me some stopping power.  MOT is due in July, how bad do they have to be to fail it?

Garage quoted between £60-75 labour + dust seals etc, to clean them thoroughly and sort them out. Worth doing, or I should be looking out for a FZS1000 or XJS1300 calliper to slap on?

And I should add, although a bit handy on the mech side, I've never touched brakes before, so not really confident working on them yet.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2014, 03:45:53 pm by Arfa »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Re: Seized rear brake callipers
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 04:20:02 pm »
I only had to clean one piston, popped it out cleaned it up and popped it back in seals didn't need changing. Then obviously bleed the system,  half hour job.
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
Re: Seized rear brake callipers
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 05:59:04 pm »
They seize for a past time. You will need to get it done, even if it passes the MOT it will only get worse as time goes on and cost more to fix. In the end the pistons don't retract properly and that doesn't do your disk any favors or your MPG's