Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:30 am

Author Topic: slime sealant?  (Read 1482 times)

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
slime sealant?
« on: 27 February 2018, 06:37:21 pm »
has anyone used this.
do tyre changers moan about this stuff?
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
Re: slime sealant?
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2018, 07:40:55 pm »
Never had a tyre fitter complain but have always told them what was in there

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2018, 04:04:00 am »
I've used it a few times when i've had either a slow leak or a nail/screw in a tyre that's past its prime but still has a lot of life left in it, and in fairness it's served me very well a couple of times by not deflating when i've had the misfortune of picking up another nail/screw and been able to ride to a tyre shop with a still fully inflated tyre.

Pro's:
Will get you out of shit when you least expect it
Cheap enough to buy then get the most out of a partly worn tyre with life left in it
Seals slow leaks, within the tread pattern
Easy to put in tyre (better with a proper compressed air generator though, rather than foot pump, although both will work okay)

Con's:
Tyre fitters don't particularly like it, but so what? They don't mind selling you the stuff, so it's not really your problem and it's there to do a job. Tyre fitters are not your best mates, so don't worry about it and just let them get on with their job.
Tyre fitters WILL NOT repair a tyre with this stuff in. And after the last time when i took my tyre to be changed and saw green shit all up his walls when he took the valve out then i can totally understand why. It's called Slime for a reason, so to clean an area to glue a patch on would be difficult, hence the reason if i had a puncture in a newish tyre i'd get it plugged and not use this stuff.
It's really designed as a temporary fix, but as i said it is good to plug a slow leak then just ignore it.
Problem is i found it goes off after a couple of years and turns into more liquid than slime. So last time, not only did it not plug the hole that a nail caused, forcing me to plug it temporarily myself, but because it was much more fluid over time it really knocked the balance out of the rear tyre to the point of almost making the rear end wobble. I thought my rear shock was on its way out going around corners.

So in summary, if you want a quick fix whilst saving up for a few months for a new tyre, or if you're going somewhere where a puncture could become a very big problem then i would highly recommend it.
But a few months is all it's worth using for.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2018, 07:29:59 am »
This was after it'd covered his wall, and i'd mopped up the excess so i could take the tyre away to dispose of it.
You can understand why a puncture repair would be a nuisance.
What's left though was some newer Slime i'd put in it, as it had also previously sprayed out of a puncture hole very watery a few days earlier.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 07:40:41 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2018, 03:44:45 pm »
ok thanks for the reply.
I do have tyre plugs repair kit so I'll stick with that.
tyres only done 4,000 easy miles.plenty of tread on both.
probably next year before they or rear will need replacing.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2018, 07:08:36 pm »
I suggest Puncturesafe aka Ultraseal.

It's water based and can be washed straight down the drain. It also spreads evenly over the inside of the tyre so there's no balance problems.

It's still worth checking for damage or intrusions, though, and if there is one, you should get the tyre professionally checked because, even though it stops the tyre deflating (or, if the hole is bigger than 5mm) catastrophically deflating, there may be damage to the inside of the carcass that isn't visible.