Date: 16-04-24  Time: 16:12 pm

Author Topic: water proofs??  (Read 3989 times)

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
water proofs??
« on: 02 July 2016, 05:01:06 pm »
so I'm getting a bit p*ssed off with these dealers selling so called waterproof jackets/pants when clearly they are not.
I've had 2 jackets and wife has one both suppose to be waterproof but got caught twice in heavy down pours and we were both soaked.
what gear do you guys have that are waterproof under £130?
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
Re: water proofs??
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2016, 05:08:30 pm »
I have Alpinestars and they were certainly tested on our tour of the Alps and didn't leak once despite some of the torrential downpours we got caught in.
They are more than £130 though but worth every penny. The waterproof and thermal liners can be removed seperately so you can insert whichever liner you like or neither.
Alpinestars Bogota Drystar trousers I bought from here.

https://www.motocard.com/en/pants-2/alpinestars-bogota_drystar_black_dark_gray_102.aspx?ctry=uk&currency=&utm_campaign=comparadores&utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparadores_en&utm_term=pants_alpinestars_m-0660591&size=3XL&gclid=CIH9keeT1c0CFSQW0wodXzYNdA

And the Alpinestars Megaton Drystar Jacket I got from here.

http://www.fc-moto.de/Alpinestars-Megaton-Drystar-Waterproof-Jacket

« Last Edit: 02 July 2016, 05:11:15 pm by Grayo »
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2016, 05:12:37 pm »
 :D
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2016, 06:16:26 pm »
so I'm getting a bit p*ssed off with these dealers selling so called waterproof jackets/pants when clearly they are not.
I've had 2 jackets and wife has one both suppose to be waterproof but got caught twice in heavy down pours and we were both soaked.
what gear do you guys have that are waterproof under £130?

£130 for jacket and trousers combined, or £130 each?

From personal experience I've always found cheap waterproofs leak unfortunately (although there's always the option of a one piece oversuit!). Generally speaking if you pay more you'll start getting items with a proper goretex lining which tend to be significaintly better!

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2016, 06:48:58 pm »
jacket only for now.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2016, 07:11:35 pm »
Depends what you are wanting really.  I have found that with commuting every day all waterproofs eventually loose their water proof...ness.  I have shelled out for expensive stuff but even that will leak after a few months of winter riding.  Also I find that the salty/dirty/gritty water spray off the motorway kills the jackets and makes them look rather used in no time so expensive gear, for me, isn't really worth it.

I now use over jacket and trousers.  I found the one piece suits (I had 2 before switching to two piece) to be a bit unwieldy especially when arriving at work, hanging it to dry out is not as easy as 2 pieces etc  Another bonus is that your actual riding gear stays as clean as a whistle underneath.

I have also found that even waterproof over gear leaks eventually.  A fresh set will keep you dray in the heaviest of rain, for a few weeks.  I find that the crotch will leak first, then on the jacket the front shoulders.  Visually there isn't anything to let water in but they all do.  I have had a few sets over the years, Alpinestars, Armr, RST etc  I am currently using Richa (jacket £30, Trousers £20) and they are probably about the best I have used.  I did resort to putting some black instant gasket on the seams of the crotch and it did indeed sort the problem....for a few weeks :) 

They pack down very small (I stash mine under the seat if I am not using the top box) and can be easily washed etc easy to wriggle out of at work and whatnot. 

I have seen people get good results with sprays and nikwax and it does work for a day or two.

I believe a lot of people rate the Rukka gear, which is expensive.  For me though, I find over jackets/trousers etc the best solution, they work, are cheap, keep my normal gear clean, easy to store plus you don't need to factor waterproofing into your gear purchases.

Intentionally left blank

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2016, 08:57:05 pm »
You have to remember that waterproof kit is all waterproof in rain, but what we do is ride in the rain to that means the rain is travelling at speed 30,40,50,60 etc so that rain drop explodes on impact which makes it smaller and that is why stuff leaks.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Ferg

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2016, 09:37:28 pm »
You have to remember that waterproof kit is all waterproof in rain, but what we do is ride in the rain to that means the rain is travelling at speed 30,40,50,60 etc so that rain drop explodes on impact which makes it smaller and that is why stuff leaks.

.........and the manufacturers when they are making "motorcycle" gear know that. Poor excuse for me TBH. Cheap gear may well leak but it a bit annoying when they claim it is waterproof. Got to also watch as they often say that it has a waterproof liner.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2016, 09:57:38 pm »
I like kit made from Flexothane, it's reliably waterproof and lasts surprisingly well considering it feels so thin. The previous pair of overtrousers I bought lasted for about 50,000 miles-worth of riding and cost less than £20.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2016, 10:55:13 pm »
I had a set of wax cottons many moons ago, not sure if they were that waterproof or just really absorbent but I never got wet. A low speed crash ripped them to shreds so no idea of their long tern waterproofness

Cellarman

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 July 2016, 11:18:38 pm »
I have Alpinestars and they were certainly tested on our tour of the Alps and didn't leak once despite some of the torrential downpours we got caught in.
They are more than £130 though but worth every penny. The waterproof and thermal liners can be removed seperately so you can insert whichever liner you like or neither.
Alpinestars Bogota Drystar trousers I bought from here.

https://www.motocard.com/en/pants-2/alpinestars-bogota_drystar_black_dark_gray_102.aspx?ctry=uk&currency=&utm_campaign=comparadores&utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparadores_en&utm_term=pants_alpinestars_m-0660591&size=3XL&gclid=CIH9keeT1c0CFSQW0wodXzYNdA

And the Alpinestars Megaton Drystar Jacket I got from here.

http://www.fc-moto.de/Alpinestars-Megaton-Drystar-Waterproof-Jacket

That wasn't torrential Graham it was of biblical proportions at times :eek
All our kit performed well, I never got wet (revit neptune gortex) not cheap but for me buy cheap get wet gonads :D

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2016, 12:06:24 am »
For me the only gear that will be waterproof for a feckin long time is gore tex. Spent years with with my favourite Furygan gear lasting about a year then failing miserably with trying to re-proof with Nikwax wash in (5 x recommended dosage) and Nikwax spray after. Finally bit the bullet and took advantage of Infinity Motorcyles 0% finance over 6 months and bought Rukka gear. Spent £700 and now have 6 yrs warranty against any failings inlcuding leaks. Still prefer the Furygan for fit and style but have been bone dry since November  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2016, 08:36:11 am »
I like kit made from Flexothane, it's reliably waterproof and lasts surprisingly well considering it feels so thin. The previous pair of overtrousers I bought lasted for about 50,000 miles-worth of riding and cost less than £20.

:agree
Agreed, i've had my Flexothane over trousers for years now, it's a brilliant material widely used by police and ambulance crews because of it's toughness.
They're ultra lightweight, breathable, they can even stretch a bit, yet the material is very strong and won't tear on you.
I used to use a Flexothane hi-vis jacket years back as well, and apart from being totally wind and waterpoof it would regulate your body heat as well, so whether it was winter or summer you would always be comfortable, and not hot or cold.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2016, 08:54:04 am »
I was gonna give you the link to the trousers i've got but when i found them there was only one pair left, in my size, at half the price i paid for them years ago.

So i, erm, bought them.  :D

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2016, 12:41:02 pm »
I was gonna give you the link to the trousers i've got but when i found them there was only one pair left, in my size, at half the price i paid for them years ago.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2016, 12:48:47 pm »
thanks for your replies lads.
I no longer commute as I'm retired from full time work.
that is why I dont want to pay to much and I now only do leisure rides .
I've never done touring trips since I was 20 and I dont think my ass could take nowadays.
a good day out is about 300 miles.
we dont normally go out on the bike if there is going to be rain.
as you well know the forecast dont get it right.
it was suppose to rain in the early evening not f**king 2 o'clock in the afternoon! lol
I think an over jacket might be best but its need to be able to wrap into a small bundle and keep under seat incase.
so I'll have a look out for a couple. ;)

also I've sprayed our gear in nikwax so if we get caught again I'll let you know the outcome.

« Last Edit: 03 July 2016, 12:50:36 pm by johnakay »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2016, 01:04:44 pm »
Another way to look at it is to wear a lightweight, breathable waterproof top under your bike jacket. This allows your bike jacket to take the impact of the rain, and the top underneath is what actually keeps you dry. You can do the same with light over trousers (I used this to good effect in torrential downpours in Europe last month).

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2016, 01:35:32 pm »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

I think i've bought the last pair in the country, i can't find the bike specific ones on any website at all, i've literally looked everywhere.  :look

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2016, 02:41:56 pm »
Nothing's waterproof. Now I just settle for kit that is quick drying.  :b
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 July 2016, 05:12:43 pm »
Some of the cheap two piece suits aren't bad worn over your normal waterproof/cordura gear. The pull on tops without a zip are better, just cut the hood off if it has one.

Some ex military GoreTex stuff is good from army navy stores or Silvermans in London. Again wear it over your normal bike gear.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 July 2016, 09:02:39 pm »
Ex Army goretex is a good call,preferably if you can get it unissued i.e. brand new.Personally I'd favour German or Dutch from experience.There's quite a few companies that have ads on ebay.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 July 2016, 10:20:18 pm »
 I'd always recommend French or American army issue gortex.. But never had any Dutch or German.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2016, 06:18:38 am »
Nothing's waterproof. Now I just settle for kit that is quick drying.  :b

What about a diving dry suit?

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2016, 10:09:18 am »
Lol.......or a pair of speedo's.....skin is waterproof
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2016, 03:04:24 pm »
Ex Army goretex is a good call,preferably if you can get it unissued i.e. brand new.Personally I'd favour German or Dutch from experience.There's quite a few companies that have ads on ebay.
:agree

I got issued 2 sets of Gortex (desert & DPM) and use the over trousers all the time, great kit.
haven't tried the jacket over my leathers though!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!