Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:09 am

Author Topic: New owner rotor question  (Read 1684 times)

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
New owner rotor question
« on: 23 May 2020, 10:49:53 am »
Hello, have just posted in the intro section...new 2008 fz1 owner, been reading up lots about them and wondered what the general consensus was regarding replacing the generator rotor with the updated version as a preventive measure? I note that the magnets coming off does happen although it seems relatively rare.

Also, if i was to replace it is there an opinion on the cheaper RM stator version which is about £220?

Cheers

c.swilkins

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: New owner rotor question
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2020, 06:09:33 pm »
Just got an 09 FZ1N and its the first thing I did, I got mine from Rexs speed shop same sort of price but I also got a gaskit but they sent the wrong one. Very good service but I cant be bothered with the agro of sending the wrongly supplied gaskit back.

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2020, 08:19:30 pm »
Funnily enough i ordered mine from the same place on Monday, hopefully will get it tomorrow and put it on...got the gasket from wemoto! I notice westcountry windings are also selling the same rotor for a similar price.

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2020, 01:22:35 pm »
Funnily enough i ordered mine from the same place on Monday, hopefully will get it tomorrow and put it on...got the gasket from wemoto! I notice westcountry windings are also selling the same rotor for a similar price.

Funny enough i got word from the US forum that from year 2008 the rotor is upgraded and need not to be changed.??

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2020, 04:25:47 pm »
I have  a 2007 model and just taken mine off to check and I have the original one in, was hoping the previous owner had changed it but no luck. It looks perfectly fine but not sure if I want to risk putting it back in for the sake of a couple of hundred quid. I think I'll be ordering a new one but I'm not paying Yamaha prices of over £600  :eek . I'm going to go with the cheaper one at £220.

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2020, 04:51:52 pm »
Just ordered from Moto-electrical as they have a 10% off voucher at the mo so I got a new rotor and gasket including delivery for £207...not bad eh  :D

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2020, 10:52:23 am »
I have  a 2007 model and just taken mine off to check and I have the original one in, was hoping the previous owner had changed it but no luck. It looks perfectly fine but not sure if I want to risk putting it back in for the sake of a couple of hundred quid. I think I'll be ordering a new one but I'm not paying Yamaha prices of over £600  :eek . I'm going to go with the cheaper one at £220.

Will be interesting to see if they where right in the states, that they fixed it on model 2008.
You who change on 08 and forward, could you please add on here yay or nay.

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2020, 11:05:22 am »
Still waiting for my gasket which is now probably lost in the post! Will report back

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2020, 02:41:40 pm »
My 2008 did not have an updated rotor in.

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2020, 06:28:45 pm »
Was a ballache to refit as the teeth on the gears were a pain to line up then I had to coax it in with a hammer. After all that I took the gasket out and it turned out to be the wrong one, my fault I didn't check when I ordered so just sorted one out now and should be here by Thurs/Fri.

c.swilkins

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2020, 08:39:25 pm »
My 2009 bike didn't have an updated rotor but it does now :D

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2020, 10:03:21 pm »
Was a ballache to refit as the teeth on the gears were a pain to line up then I had to coax it in with a hammer. After all that I took the gasket out and it turned out to be the wrong one, my fault I didn't check when I ordered so just sorted one out now and should be here by Thurs/Fri.

After watching many videos the best trick was to turn the crank with the back wheel in gear to get it to line up, took a few attempts but it worked.

The Athena gasket i got is rubbish, id get a genuine one if i have the cover off again.

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2020, 05:11:58 pm »
My 2008 did not have an updated rotor in.

Yeah i saw on the fz10a forum that the consensur there are upgraded rotor from 2012 forward. So i guess ill do it this winter as well.

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2020, 11:39:43 pm »
The Athena gasket i got is rubbish, id get a genuine one if i have the cover off again.

Gasket arrived today and now fitted, an original Yamaha one for approx £10