Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:50 pm

Author Topic: tyre life  (Read 1456 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
tyre life
« on: 12 April 2020, 09:39:18 am »
having just replaced a tyre valve on my 600 a few days ago the tyre is now flat, i have not used the bike since so am now thinking the tyre may have come to the end of its life, time wise, not usually a problem for me as i usually wear the tread out before i start to worry about tyre age, but not doing the mileage now compared to what i used to do...tyre is just over 7 years old...how long should they last ?...
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: tyre life
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2020, 10:22:44 am »
took the wheel off and squirted some soapy water around the rim.its leaking between the bead and rim.will remove the tyre and inspect/clean the whel rim...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2020, 10:46:04 am »
tyre off ..rim and bead could do with a clean but nothing serious...will clean both. re fit the tyre and pump up and see what happens...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2020, 10:53:05 am »
How many times has the tyre been on and off the bike. I would of thought that the more its taken on and off the more chance of damaging the bead. Especially with your home made contraption  :pokefun . Maybe its the valve  :lol
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2020, 10:56:38 am »
Maybe its the valve  :lol

:lol  and he didn't get a key ring :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin 
« Last Edit: 12 April 2020, 11:27:26 am by Gnasher »
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2020, 11:24:00 am »
I've had a slow leak on my rear tyre for a while now, and suspected the rims. I'd already taken the wheel back once to get the valve changed and have some sealant put on the rims, but over winter it was losing about 0.5 psi a day which wasn't too bad as i have an airline at work so would use that once a week, but it was annoying.
But being on a lock down at home and not working i haven't used the bike in 3 weeks, and when i used my new electronic pump at home a few days ago the tyre had only lost 3 psi in 3 weeks.
I'm guessing that is due to air density now that the weather has warmed up.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2020, 11:45:02 am »
cleaned the rim with a bit of 2000 wet/dry and wiped round the tyre.tyre back on the wheel and inflated.checked again with soapy water and no leakage...lets see what happens...mrSHARPIR...tyres been off once since first fitting.sidewalls still feel rigid....

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2020, 11:48:50 am »
cleaned the rim with a bit of 2000 wet/dry and wiped round the tyre.tyre back on the wheel and inflated.checked again with soapy water and no leakage...lets see what happens...mrSHARPIR...tyres been off once since first fitting.sidewalls still feel rigid....

Ah he's got his key ring bless, must be because it's Easter  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Later

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2020, 12:00:08 pm »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin    well spotted MR GNASHER    :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

this will make you laugh....i got fed up with waiting for the valves so i ordered a couple more, the next day the valves turned up without the keyring,the following day the second order arrived with a keyring  :lol :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2020, 12:03:29 pm »
this will make you laugh....i got fed up with waiting for the valves so i ordered a couple more, the next day the valves turned up without the keyring,the following day the second order arrived with a keyring  :lol :lol

Result  :thumbup ;)
Later

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2020, 01:29:40 am »
tyre is just over 7 years old...how long should they last ?...

Look on the side of the tyre for the DOT code. It's two numbers, giving the week and year it was made, so, for instance, 1719 would be week 17 of 2019

It's not recommended to use tyres that are more than 5 years old as, even if they're not used, the rubber will harden and be more prone to failure.

A friend found this out when he bought a "new" tyre for his car out in Qatar, then it abruptly and catastrophically failed whilst he was doing about 60mph. Fortunately they were in a desert section, so there was plenty of run off!

It turned out, having looked at the DOT code, the tyre was something like 10 years old...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2020, 08:39:32 am »
hi GRAHAMM, yes i knew how to date the tyre thats how i know its 7 years old  :thumbup . as you say 5 years old seems to be the reconmended life span, so 2 years over which does not sound a lot but 40% over  :eek ...got a mis-match at the moment, maxxis on the front, bridgestone on the back, both getting low ..
have just checked the age of the bridgestome....14/07  :eek :eek :eek :eek    13 years old,had this off a friend a few years back as part worn,i should of checked the date then  :o ...

front tyre has held pressure overnight  :thumbup  so good pratice to check rims when changing tyres  ;)

bike will be used as back up whilst i replace the clucth on the cage later this week,on lockdown at the moment but i will be going into work on friday which might be an excuse to take the bike...second ride this year  :'(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2020, 09:29:03 am »
tyre is just over 7 years old...how long should they last ?...

Look on the side of the tyre for the DOT code. It's two numbers, giving the week and year it was made, so, for instance, 1719 would be week 17 of 2019

It's not recommended to use tyres that are more than 5 years old as, even if they're not used, the rubber will harden and be more prone to failure.

A friend found this out when he bought a "new" tyre for his car out in Qatar, then it abruptly and catastrophically failed whilst he was doing about 60mph. Fortunately they were in a desert section, so there was plenty of run off!

It turned out, having looked at the DOT code, the tyre was something like 10 years old...

Qatar, where they have 3 inches of rain a YEAR and constant crazy heat conditions is probably not the greatest place to judge tyre life to be fair.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2020, 01:03:41 pm »
hi GRAHAMM, yes i knew how to date the tyre thats how i know its 7 years old  :thumbup . as you say 5 years old seems to be the reconmended life span, so 2 years over which does not sound a lot but 40% over  :eek ...got a mis-match at the moment, maxxis on the front, bridgestone on the back, both getting low ..
have just checked the age of the bridgestome....14/07  :eek :eek :eek :eek    13 years old,had this off a friend a few years back as part worn,i should of checked the date then  :o ...

The recommendation is to not FIT them if they are over 5 years old. Once on the rim, up to 10 years old is fine as long as they are looked after.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2020, 01:14:50 pm »
There was a big tread about this subject a couple of years ago but I can not find it now.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2020, 02:07:09 pm »
If stored properly, even 6, or 7 years in storage is often fine. Tyres won't rot if stored properly. They might loose a bit of grip, but not too much.

This goes especially if the pavement where you ride has enough rocks in it, so that it is grippy. A guy I met from England explained how UK pavement is a lot less slippery then in our country, but the downside is that tyres get worn a lot faster.

Once a tyre is mounted, the "real" aging starts. Pressure, exposure to sun, cold, heating and cooling cycles. That is when tyres start to loose their attributes, even if they are not physically worn. So, depending on the motorcycle storing and riding conditions, after 2 to max. 5 years - replacement is needed. Sooner if they get worn, ofcourse. Or if a motorcycle is parked and left in direct sunlight, for days and months (especially in the summer).

Wrote at great length about when should a bicycle tyre be replaced. It's not the same as with motorcycles, but some things are similar enough.
Though - Metzeller for example makes steel tyre casing (at least the models I've used), while Michelin and Continental for example, use some sort of fabric - that can be cut more easily and can rot more quickly.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2020, 03:58:52 pm »
There was a big tread about this subject a couple of years ago but I can not find it now.

Maybe it's worn down by now  :rollin