Date: 18-04-24  Time: 13:39 pm

Author Topic: LOFO Day Trip to Cornwall 12th July  (Read 4341 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
LOFO Day Trip to Cornwall 12th July
« on: 30 June 2020, 06:13:41 pm »
Weather permitting I’ll be doing my annual day trip to Cornwall. From South London this is approx 470 miles. At present I’ve no info on what, if any cafes are open, but will know after July 4th. Any one who fancies this whizz to the West Country, I can meet you at 7am at the Ripley A3 BP Services(postcode GU23 6PT), or at approx 7.50am at Popham A303 BP Services (postcode SO 21 3SP). This is mainly A and B roads with minimal motorway.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
Re: LOFO Day Trip to Cornwall 12th July
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2020, 12:05:06 am »
Robbo, normally would have said yes, but I am doing an off road adventure bike training on the Thursday and Friday in Somerset, returning home on the Saturday and have to pick up my Mutley from the dealers, after some warranty work, on the 12th.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2020, 11:32:14 am »
No worries Ceri. Would have been good to see you, but sounds like you're having fun. I certainly miss my TRF days, and have found myself looking at enduro bike ads recently. Trouble is now, I won't be able to crash as well as I used to be able to. :lol

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2020, 09:36:55 pm »
Where abouts in Cornwallium are you heading to?
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2020, 10:05:44 pm »
I’d be up for this Robbo but I’ve just started my 4th week back at work and it would mean riding all day and working all night. Never a good combination when you’re working with electrified tracks and 600ton metal things on wheels.
Definitely going to have a long weekend in Wales now it’s opened up though soon.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2020, 07:59:49 am »
No worries Dazza. It is a good day out, but totally understand that work is always the deciding factor. Maybe we could sort out a Chilham Bends Sunday :lol . Take care.

Mr.Celticbiker.......going to Calstock. I’ve been doing this day trip every year for something like 25 years, but as always, weather dependent.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2020, 08:54:42 pm »
I'm in Stow Friday, 400 miles ride into and around Wales then back to Stow on Saturday. If I get up early enough I might be able to make it to Cornwall for lunch and back to Wales for tea. It's only about 180 miles from Stow then around 150 back home. 
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 08:59:22 pm by celticbiker »
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2020, 09:03:08 pm »
No worries Dazza. It is a good day out, but totally understand that work is always the deciding factor. Maybe we could sort out a Chilham Bends Sunday :lol . Take care.

Definitely. Take care too... :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2020, 10:00:28 pm »
Celticbiker, I'll pm you my mobile number. If you can get to Popham for 7:45/50, we can meet you there. I'll be able to check my phone up until 06:45. If you haven't texted by then, I won't stop at Popham. Weather forecast is good. :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2020, 04:29:27 pm »
PM for you Mr.Red :thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2020, 06:01:44 pm »
wooooooo hooooooo.......the mighty thou is fixed (read bodged) and iam off to the seaside....the long way round  :lol

see you in the morning ROBBO   :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2020, 07:32:58 pm »
 :thumbup :thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2020, 12:46:34 pm »
wooooooo hooooooo.......the mighty thou is fixed (read bodged) and iam off to the seaside....the long way round  :lol

see you in the morning ROBBO   :thumbup

well...that didn`t go too well  :o ....met up with ROBBO at Popham services with the intention of riding to Cornwall and take advantage of these looooong days...i missed a turn off about 1 mile into the ride  :lol ...on a duel carriageway way so no turning back, onto the next junction and try and work out where they are stopping for breakfast,got within a mile of the cafe and got a text from robbo , a lucky guess......i had bodged my fazers oil leak the night before and it was working but by the time i got to the cafe the sealant had started to dribble out so only a matter of time before the oil followed, called it a day and had a slow ride home getting back at about mid-day, about 160 miles so not too bad......put me down for next year ROBBO that gives me a year to get things sorted  :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2020, 03:57:25 pm »
My pal Vern's Versys 1000 and my Fazer rolled out of the filling station at 06:45 on our way to meet two other "day trip to Cornwall" participants, just north of Guildford. Fifteen minutes later the four of us, having gained a Tracer GT and an S1000RR, were on our way to Popham services to meet up with Mr.Red. This would be the boring bit of the trip, but necessary in the time available. We got to Popham slightly ahead of schedule, fortunately Mr.Red was already there and happy with his repair to the mighty thou. Breakfast was about half an hour away, so we set off down the A303, our turnoff about a mile ahead. Whether it was insufficient indicating by those behind me I don't know, but sadly Mr.Red missed the junction, we'd lost him within a mile. Was this a LOFO record?, possibly not as thoughts of the chaos as we left the cafe on our David Silver trip the other year, came flooding back.
I just had to hope that Paul(Mr.Red) would carry on to the A30, which would take him past our breakfast stop. We flew down to Stockbridge and out the other side. The plan was to ensure we got to the cafe ahead of him and could be reunited. Fortunately that's how it turned out.
However all was not well with his Fazer, and juice was weeping out of the repaired area, so sadly he decided to call it a day and limp home. Breakfast was despatched and after saying our goodbyes, it was on the pipe, Cornwall bound.
Dartmoor was a tad overcast, and rather crowded at most parking areas, so didn't stop for any photos this time. However the "Cornwall" sign couldn't be passed without a pic or two. The table I'd booked for lunch was waiting for us at the pub, once helmets etc had been stashed away. A few hours were whiled away eating, drinking and talking bollocks. Then it was time to saddle up and do it all again.
After a fuel top up in Tavistock it was non stop until the outskirts of Salisbury for the final fill up of the day. At Stockbridge we'd decided to go different ways, with team Tracer/BMW taking the A31 from Winchester, while Vern and me carried on the A30 to Blackwater/Camberley, our normal route, after a coffee stop at Popham.
Then it was just a quick dash down to the Hogs Back, A3 and home. It worked out at 474 miles, 3 more than last year, due to a slight detour for petrol as the normal garage was being refurbed, and me taking one exit too early whilst skirting Dartmoor on the way home. The weather had been just perfect for a long very enjoyable bike ride.
If Mr.Red gets the thou sorted and we have some favourable weather, another Cornwall whizz could be on the cards.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 05:46:22 pm by robbo »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2020, 04:15:21 pm »
good write up MR ROBBO  :thumbup ....shame i missed the "talking bollocks" bit, iam much better at that than repairing fazers.... :lol

glad you had a great day
« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 04:17:08 pm by red98 »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2020, 05:54:46 pm »
Mr.Red. If I ever have the misfortune to have the dreaded waterpump seal failure, you're the first person I would seek for advice. Your motorcycle mechaniking skills are beyond reproach. However, the jury's out at present on your ability to talk bollocks. Only time will tell. :lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2020, 11:49:38 pm »

Yes excellent write up, and sorry to hear about the ducking out Mr Red

possibly not as thoughts of the chaos as we left the cafe on our David Silver trip the other year, came flooding back
Yes, err we lost half at the first exit...........  but we all got there, and lost nobody on the way back  :)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2020, 06:48:55 am »
Hey Robbo, I'm deffo up for this next time.  I have friends in Overton so would stay with them overnight to make Popham at at sensible time.  I really must check this page more!  :\
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!