Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:58 pm

Author Topic: Easy pull clutch adaptor  (Read 2126 times)

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
Easy pull clutch adaptor
« on: 10 September 2019, 07:36:19 pm »
clutch pull on the mighty 1000 is fatiguing for my weak man hands so I sourced one of these and just fitted it up. Took a bit of messing about as it reduces the throw of the main clutch cable so you need to remove as much slack as possible, anyway I did a video of it, 2 parts as my neighbour walked past as I was recording. Been on test and it selects gears and neutral ok , 1st attempt without taking all slack up at the clutch case end resulted in clutch not fully disengaging with lever pulled in.
I realise this isn’t an issue for most riders but could be for those like me who ain’t getting any stronger. I considered an hydraulic option but for £15 this is as light as I think you will get. My Ducati 996 hydraulic clutch was so heavy it needed 2 hands.
https://youtu.be/-pcF8zS1ZTE
https://youtu.be/5bv60-ElrHM
« Last Edit: 11 September 2019, 07:11:34 am by Mustang »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Easy pull clutch adaptor
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2019, 09:59:09 pm »
Oh man, I never even thought to look for something like this - thank you for posting this! how much lighter did it make the clutch action..?

I dont like the idea of the of having the lower adjustment being right on the end as per your vid, were you not able to adjust it..?

Also what hydraulic option..?

ps. you may want to edit the screenshot as its showing parts of the address it was delivered too
« Last Edit: 10 September 2019, 10:06:54 pm by b1k3rdude »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2019, 11:20:18 pm »
clutch pull on the mighty 1000 is fatiguing for my weak man hands so I sourced one of these and just fitted it up.
The clutch on the old thou is pretty light.  What you do need to do is lubricate the cable every other year or so.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2019, 07:05:38 am »
Cheers for that VNA, just ordered 2 from EBAY 1 for the eldest lad as well as mine. Struggled for years making modelling clay cups to oil cables right faff . What oil have you found the best to use with it.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2019, 07:07:14 am by steve 10562cc »

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2019, 07:13:47 am »
Oh man, I never even thought to look for something like this - thank you for posting this! how much lighter did it make the clutch action..?

I dont like the idea of the of having the lower adjustment being right on the end as per your vid, were you not able to adjust it..?

Also what hydraulic option..?

ps. you may want to edit the screenshot as its showing parts of the address it was delivered too
It’s made the pull quite a bit lighter, I needed all the adjustment possible as the clutch cable at the end needs at least 10mm pulled in to actuate properly. Not sure if it’s a long term solution, this cable is 2 years old, might stretch a bit more.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2019, 07:14:39 am »
clutch pull on the mighty 1000 is fatiguing for my weak man hands so I sourced one of these and just fitted it up.
The clutch on the old thou is pretty light.  What you do need to do is lubricate the cable every other year or so.
Compared to modern bikes, with only 3 clutch springs, it’s heavy

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2019, 08:50:19 am »
when oiling your cables , I seem to remember being told not to use WD40 or common 3 in 1 oils as they strip the Teflon coating from the inner cable and shorten cable life considerably

the inner cable for clutch and choke have a very thing clear Teflon impregnated  plastic sleeve  on

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2019, 10:34:19 am »

Cheers for that VNA, just ordered 2 from EBAY 1 for the eldest lad as well as mine. Struggled for years making modelling clay cups to oil cables right faff . What oil have you found the best to use with it.
Steve, I use Tri-Flow, which is like WD40 with added Teflon.  I use it cos I have a tin in the garage.  It’s probably not the correct stuff to use though.
Compared to modern bikes, with only 3 clutch springs, it’s heavy
I didn’t really notice how heavy my clutch had become.  I then test rode the MT10 and realised my clutch cable could use a little lube.  What a difference it makes. 

A lot of modern bikes have hydraulic operated clutches.  The R1250R I tried had one.  I found it quite tricky, it’s so light, to me it was like there was no feel.  But I guess, if I ever manage to get my hands on one (hopefully march next year) I’ll soon get used to it.

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2019, 06:37:14 pm »
https://youtu.be/WcEvVqkuZ4E

sure someone could come up with something similar for the fazer...... they want 65 quid for this ktm one..... a bit steep i think
« Last Edit: 11 September 2019, 06:41:24 pm by blackcabbie »

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2019, 07:29:06 pm »

sure someone could come up with something similar for the fazer...... they want 65 quid for this ktm one..... a bit steep i think

I an sure I have seen/read that the early R1 clutch arm fits and because it is longer it gives more leverage

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2019, 08:32:03 pm »

It’s a good solution but most kits are off-road stuff.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2019, 08:28:49 pm »
We've been here before with this one, for the FZ6 S2 Fazer, some time ago. Made the parts myself, extended a used slave arm and cable guide. Cost perhaps £20 I think. I worked, but I wanted the clutch lighter still so I went hydraulic, and its been superb

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2019, 05:35:31 pm »
Well I’ve removed it as the clutch does not fully engage when pulled in and hard to select neutral as well.