Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:21 am

Author Topic: Looking into panniers  (Read 3898 times)

mountaingoat

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Looking into panniers
« on: 01 January 2018, 08:47:15 pm »
Hey Guys,
Quick question (I can post a picture tomorrow if it's helpful).
Basically I already have a Givi Monokey top box with the plate etc (I believe it's the V46 model), and I am looking to get some hard side bags/cases/panniers whatever you prefer to call them so I can go a bit further afield.
So my question is, will I need a whole new plate for the top box to combine it with the panniers or are they all compatible and do they just kind of lock/screw onto eachother?

Just don't wanna spend a load of money to get things that are incompatible?

Sure plenty of you have sorted this out before so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys! Happy new year!!!

mountaingoat

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Looking into panniers
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2018, 09:00:54 pm »
p.s. also, any ideas on tank bags? Have always avoided them but if the Givi ones I keep seeing are any good I may grab one of them too. I just worry about them not staying on very well? :/

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2018, 01:17:00 pm »
I love my Givi wingrack + tankloc setup from Givi.

mountaingoat

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2018, 02:02:33 pm »
Nice!
Is the wingrack a separate entity to the top box plate, can I just buy the wingrack and it'll fit fine with a bit of tinkering or is the wingrack/top box all one mount?

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2018, 02:17:27 pm »

Wingrack is a whole section with different fittings for different motorcycles.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2018, 02:57:52 pm »
Mountaingoat,
If you decide on a Wingrack 2, I've got one that's had little use. It has the universal fitting kit but would need the top plate to fit your topbox to. Pm me if you're interested,it'll be cheap as came with a complete luggage set up that I bought and is not compatible with my set up.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2018, 04:34:40 pm »
Sorry to do a Part Answer/Part Thread Hifack.....but.....

I've used a Givi rack and top box before but with Krauser K2 panniers. The fit on L shaped brackets that can be mounted on most bikes with with the Givi rack in place (the simple rack for a top box, not the full "wing rack" with pannier mount). All you need to do is measure up and make a couple of brackets to mount the frame to. The Krauser's don't come up that often, but I've seen them on eBay and in the for-sale section of a few bike mags, so you might get lucky. Hopefully this helps.

Now to the hijack - kgjersda - where did you get those fairing lowers on the 600. I'm looking for something similar for our 600, but haven't found anything resonable yet ?

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2018, 05:29:20 pm »
Now to the hijack - kgjersda - where did you get those fairing lowers on the 600. I'm looking for something similar for our 600, but haven't found anything resonable yet ?

They came with the bike when I bought it, albeit cracked and scuffed, so I had to mend them.

But I do think these are the same:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-FZS-600-FAZER-1998-2001-TUNING-SIDE-FAIRINGS-PANELS-LEFT-RIGHT/160660732338

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2018, 05:58:05 pm »
Thanks for that, I'll check them out 😀

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2018, 08:30:22 pm »
p.s. also, any ideas on tank bags? Have always avoided them but if the Givi ones I keep seeing are any good I may grab one of them too. I just worry about them not staying on very well? :/
I know some people aren't too keen on tank bags but i use my cheap Aldi magnetic one all the time. For piece of mind I always clip the strap supplied that goes round the steering head onto the bag but it has never been called on to do anything, even when the bike falls over. whoops. I use one of those non slip mats under the bag just so the tank doesn't get scratched, aspecialy if the magnets happen to pick something metallic up when not on the bike.
I've no idea if the Givi is similar or just uses straps.

Here we go a nice picture of my tank bag on the bike with enough luggage for a short afternoon spin.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2018, 08:34:26 pm by limax2 »

mountaingoat

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2018, 11:26:38 pm »
Another quick question.
In general how are the Givi ones for filtering? Or do I just get smaller boxes?
Just wondering if I'm going to end up being stuck in traffic on a long ride, not so fun!?
If so then I guess I'll just deal with it anyway, but how do you guys get on with them?

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2018, 12:34:53 pm »
Givi E21 are small but carry a lot when packed carefully. Easily enough for a week trip or more. Not as wide as the mirrors so filtering isn’t compromised. Had mine for a number of years.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2018, 01:21:02 pm »
Another quick question.
In general how are the Givi ones for filtering? Or do I just get smaller boxes?
Just wondering if I'm going to end up being stuck in traffic on a long ride, not so fun!?
If so then I guess I'll just deal with it anyway, but how do you guys get on with them?

Depends what cases you fit. there are loads of different size cases you can get.

Also, remember filtering isn't legal in some places (like France) but generally, if the bars fit through the gaps, the panniers will (speaking as an ex-Pan owner) if you don't get boxes that are batter placed on the roof of a car.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again