Date: 24-04-24  Time: 20:04 pm

Author Topic: Wales Bike Crash  (Read 5771 times)

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Wales Bike Crash
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2014, 10:04:45 pm »
Horrible,,senseless,,hope they were not arseing around.

Poor families :'(
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

AllyBally

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2014, 10:07:06 pm »
Just read that, had several bikers and bike pages on Facebook posting about it.
Tragic, 6 bikes and a car, cant imagine it being rider error
Thoughts are with families of all involved
The voices told me to do it !!

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2014, 10:08:42 pm »
Whatever the circumstances, watch them twist it make the bikers look bad and at fault.  :(

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2014, 10:14:28 pm »
you get a gut feeling that if 6 bikes were involved then they were not taking proper care,,,you know ,unless the car chased them up the road :eek

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2014, 10:23:47 pm »
Easy to hypothesise aint it.

My hypothesis is........6 bikes bunched up & giving it some.......car pulls out & first 2 bikes dont have a chance.

The rest manage a little braking but pile in at a slightly reduced speed.

Could easily be total bollocks but that's my tuppence worth guess anyway.

It is a shame for all involved & obviously a hot story amongst us bikers but i really wish more news coverage was provided on the outcome of the police investigations so that we could all learn from them.......i havent read a single story on the news about the outcome of last years accidents.....no doubt somehwere innthe archives or on some obscure website.

RIP :(
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2014, 09:54:17 am »
It is always terrible to hear of these accidents and my thoughts go out to the families of those involved.  :(

However I was none to impressed with the SKY News headline,
Two Die As Car And Pack Of Motorbikes Collide  :thumbdown

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2014, 10:13:56 am »
We had a similar accident near Gatwick last year. Bikes were only doing 40mph in a 40 zone (proved) and they were all on the right side of the road etc. The problem was the pickup pulling out of a concealed driveway right into the path of the first bike. Others had no run off due to cars coming the other way.

I hope that they find the car driver to blame on this one too.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2014, 12:12:28 pm »
Terrible thing, whatever the cause. Hard to imagine all six bikers made a mistake, but like others have said, it's easy to hypothesize. I did 180 brisk miles with the missus on the back this weekend. There but for the grace of god I guess..

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2014, 04:46:10 pm »
Noggy, reading the report it sounds like 3 bikes were going in one direction and the other three in the other.

Could well have been a car pulled out, but, look at the front of the car, you don't normally get frontal damage like that from a SMIDSY.

Does make you think about why you ride when you read things like this, we really are so vunerable :-(
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2014, 05:30:43 pm »

My hypothesis is........6 bikes bunched up & giving it some.......car pulls out & first 2 bikes dont have a chance.

It is a shame for all involved & obviously a hot story amongst us bikers but i really wish more news coverage was provided on the outcome of the police investigations so that we could all learn from them.......i havent read a single story on the news about the outcome of last years accidents.....no doubt somehwere innthe archives or on some obscure website.

Perhaps the most important lesson could be keeping greater braking distances between bikes on ride outs. I know this is easily said and there is an assumption that the road a head is clear so there will be no need for emergency braking.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2014, 09:45:24 pm »
I've had one or two people before ask me why I seem to stay so far back when following... this. This is why.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2014, 08:08:47 am »
We don't know the exact circumstances, but 6 bikes all crashing suggests no distance between them. Frontal damage to the car suggests bikes crashed head on or swerved to avoid and hit the wall...but in the photos it is on its correct side of the road.. Exactly why  hard to say , but looking at the tight bend, one or all parties were on wrong side of road. 6 bikes going down a narrow road should have been strung out , so unlikely if that so, why all 6 crashed...
The only lesson I take from this is  don't ride in tight  groups, and always ride for yourself....give enough room to be able to stop etc. TBH speed wasn't necessarily high for this type of accident to happen...its likely to be road positioning and too close together.
Tragic  all the same...

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 June 2014, 08:49:34 am »

Well said........though I could change the hypothesis to bikes possibly racing round corner into oncoming car.
Who's to blame? it's 6-1 chance in favour of being a bike.
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Ash69

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2014, 01:21:34 pm »
Just noticed a few more details have been released including the identity of one of the guys who saddly lost his life  :(

Police have stated that two groups of three riders travelling in opposing directions were involved, obviously with catastrophic results.

No white lines evident in the pic of the Meriva so could speculate a group overtake gone bad with the oncoming riders taking evasive action into the path of the car........ 

Take care out there chaps and chapesses - it's not only us bikers that come out when the sun shines, I came across a hell of a lot of tractor drivers racing down country lanes, mobile in hand this weekend. :eek

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 June 2014, 01:44:03 pm »

Hey Ash...like you i was speculating to myself that it coulda been an overtake......ive discounted an overtake by the riders going towards the car shown......mainly because then there would be mention of a 2nd car being involved & so far only the Meriva is involved.

My other thought is that small hump in the road just before the rise & then the left hand corner over the brow....very easy to unsettle the suspension on that small hump & then go light over the brow & go wide.

& the damage to the Meriva offside wheel & door although the main impact is on the engine is suspect.

So one of my theories is that one guy went light over the brow, ran wide & boom.....his bike takes out the wheel & ends up behind the car (under the door on the pic is that a bike on its side with exhaust end showing?) & the rider himself makes the main impact on the front end of the car.....instant & quick & im sure painless considering the damage.......his mates then fall off or whatever but that doesn't quite make sense & then for the other riders coming the way.....perhaps they then fly round the bend & are met with the carnage & they pile into it....i dont buy that theory though.

Here's my other theory though..like Ash.......3 bikes following the Meriva get pissed off & decide to overtake on the bend (come on we've all seen it)......3 other guys are just taking a tricky left the other way when they are met with another 3 bikes coming their way & on their side......the lead bike is coming straight towards the lead oncoming bike.....bike going towards the car is in a head to head with a fast moving bike, he reacts, he is already banked over so he swerves or brakes or sits the bike up & ends up head on into the Meriva.......bike overtaking Meriva also reacts...he tucks in towards & hits the side of the Meriva, taking  out the wheel.......remaining bikes all bob & weave round each other but either end up falling off in the ditch or hitting each other.

Just more theories but I'm interested to hear more....it is good to talk about it because there's some crazy stuff goes on out there & we all get caught up in the excitement now & again on group riding....i hope i'm proved wrong & their was no foul play or crazy riding involved.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2014, 02:05:48 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2014, 05:00:10 pm »
To me ,it just does not look like the sort of road i would be going too fast on, because of all the blind humps,bends,gateways.

Shadrack

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 June 2014, 06:42:35 pm »
There's a straight at least half a mile long going towards the front of the car, also speed camera van is often parked just by there.