Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:33 am

Author Topic: Touring Tips and Tricks  (Read 4936 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Touring Tips and Tricks
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2019, 05:15:28 pm »
Not sure about the souvenirs john, but I do like the sound of no washing up 😂.

That’s a reasonable idea though, thanks for that :)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2019, 06:16:30 pm »
Not sure about the souvenirs john, but I do like the sound of no washing up 😂.

That’s a reasonable idea though, thanks for that :)

Are you sure your not tempted by the souvenirs Mick?

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2019, 06:23:51 pm »
Aye for sure mate. Unless is liquid souvenirs I’ll no be bothered with them (certainly no a nessie t shirt! :)) 😂🤣

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2019, 02:17:24 pm »
Something else I thought of that's been handy over the years. Rather than having to stop if a bug has died on your visor, right in your eyeline, as they always do. If you place a piece of double sided tape on the top of an old aerosol lid, not the ones with the little hole in, and stick it to your left hand infil out of the airstream. Chop a piece off the shammy you leather the car off  with, add water, sorted. No time lost wiping crap off your visor. :)
« Last Edit: 15 May 2019, 10:08:21 pm by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2019, 07:59:30 pm »
Rather than having to stop if a bug has died on your visor, right in your eyeline, as they always do.

How do they actually manage to do that?! And always right after you've just cleaned the foccing thing!  :grumble

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2019, 12:00:58 pm »
I'm going to try the aerosol cap with a v sponge mentioned above...if I go to that trouble I probably won't get hit again ! 😁

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2019, 02:19:03 pm »
Have you got a date that you're going Mickvp? I'm doing similar in June, hoping to stay at Camping and Caravan sites. My journey starts near Portsmouth so I'll be properly focced by the time I get to the Bonny land. I toured Scotland with my wife and 2 dogs last year in our campervan but this time I'm on my own and under canvas, or the synthetic equivalent.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2019, 04:16:26 pm »
Not yet mickey. As I’m already in Scotland I’m just going to plan it last minute to get the best weather so I won’t now until a day or two before :)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2019, 05:59:39 pm »
Something else I thought of that's been handy over the years. Rather than having to stop if a bug has died on your visor, right in your eyeline, as they always do. If you place a piece of double sided tape on the top of an old aerosol lid, not the ones with the little hole in, and stick it to your left hand infil out of the airstream. Chop a piece off the shammy you leather the car off  with, add water, sorted. No time lost wiping crap off your visor. :)

So do you lean over and wipe your head on it  :lol
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2019, 08:57:38 pm »
In a lot of cases it's down to budget. Personally if I don't camp, I can't go. If you've got shed loads to spend in hotels and bnb's, great.

Sorry,didnt mean to come across as a flash moneybags,I just dislike camping,but its great if you do and certainly an economical way of touring. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2019, 09:34:05 pm »
No worries. If I had a better pension, I wouldn't have to haul a tent around. Should have paid more attention at school :lol .

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2019, 09:58:41 am »
Done a few scottish trips and always a camper , I like the freedom of not having to be at a certain place at a certain time , never pre book anything , just turn up at a camp site and see if they have room , usually stay for one night arriving 6 ish pm and away befoe 8 ish am , as for cooking  :eek  iam on holiday , someone else can do that for me  :) ......plenty of places to stop for brekkie and the local pub for evening meal , always on my own so good to go to the pub for a natter after of talking to yourself  :lol .......

travel light , Its scotland they have shops where you can get anything you may have forgotten , i take the bike tool kit with a few extras , chain lube , puncture repair kit and small compressor , visor cleaner , and a usb port in the top box to charge phone and tablet....leave the sat nav at home and use good maps , you see a lot more that way

weather  will make or break a trip to scotland so Its great that you can go at a moments notice.....

enjoy your trip , lots of great roads and scenery , i can reconmend the A830 from mallaig down to fort william , and most of the A82 if its quite you can have some fun buzzing down the west side of loch ness , all roads around invergarry are good aswell.
Sure to put a smile on your face..........

One, is never going to be enough.....

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2019, 10:24:30 am »
Aye I stay about 100 yards from the A82 so I know what your saying Paul.

I remember meeting you on one of your previous tour de Britain’s when the t shirt tour was going on a few years back ;)