Date: 24-04-24  Time: 20:10 pm

Author Topic: Nope, Not Tempted  (Read 6417 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Nope, Not Tempted
« on: 18 June 2016, 11:57:15 am »
With all the talk about the new MT10, and folks "moving on" from here to ZX10s, MT09s etc, here's a list of bikes I'm not tempted to replace my Fazer with:

BMW S1000R
GSX1000S
ZX10SX
FZ1
MT09
Tracer
Speed Triple
MT10
CB1000R (don't make me laugh!)
CBF1000 (now you're just taking the piss!)
Triumph Tiger 1050 (in any guise)

I'm sure somebody'll get there one day.

So why not then? Well, the Fazer (Ivanised, Full Monty) has plenty of power for me. I don't find the weight to be an issue. Handles beautifully and predictably with the mods it has, and no more need be spent on this. Tank range is pretty good, never feel the need for more. Fuel consumption seems reasonable when not caned. I don't feel the need for gadgets, having not experienced most of them (ABS, TC etc). Easy to pile on the luggage for touring, and still the bike handles well and performance barely affected. Comfortable over long distances - I don't even find the standard seat much of an issue on longer rides, and it seems to suit my 6' 2'' frame well.

So is it still the best all-rounder ever, bearing in mind whatever else you buy, you'll likely do some mods to? And if you are one of those who has moved on but still lingers around here, what were you looking for when you traded your Fazer for a new shiny thing? Did you find it?

Or maybe I'm more easily satisfied these days. I bought the Striple because I felt the need to try something newer, and there were so many people raving about how good they are. The idea was to have it for a year or so, then trade it for something else again, but I really don't know that I can be bothered now I have it. I find myself more inclined to just jump on the Fazer, although when my mood is right, the Triumph is still fun. But I can always get along with Old Faithful. And there's still no doubt, if I could only keep one of them, it'd be bye bye Street Triple!

Perhaps I've just got boring, and the Fazer makes for a comfortable "pipe and slippers" solution? Although I find it anything but boring to ride. Still puts a smile on my face every time I go out on it, be it a blast to a local cafe, a day in the hills or a tour taking in 1000s of miles and varied roads.

Nope, not tempted to trade in for a newer model yet  :)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Nope, Not Tempted
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2016, 12:54:55 pm »
I find my Fazer 1000 to be nigh on perfect for what I use it for (mainly commuting 90 miles a day on).  It is getting a bit tired now though (90k miles approaching), needs a good stripdown + paint etc, it has the look of something dragged out of the pacific....

I am planning on replacing it next spring.  Originally I was going to get another Fazer but a quick blast on a 99 R1 I was surprised how much more power they have low down (all over really) and it also felt significantly lighter.  With that in mind I am thinking of "Fazering" an R1 with high bars, a new sub-frame to fit a fazer seat + seat cowl, remove the fairing and put a fazer one (+ lights, mirrors) on.

It will probably be a similar amount of work to fitting R1 forks, rear wheel and brake/torque arm removal I did to my Fazer and will be just a bit different.  The only thing it will lack would be a centre stand which I do find useful as it takes up a lot more space in the garage on the side stand.  I am sure we could make one for the R1 though.

Intentionally left blank

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2016, 01:18:10 pm »
I am thinking of "Fazering" an R1 with high bars, a new sub-frame to fit a fazer seat + seat cowl, remove the fairing and put a fazer one (+ lights, mirrors) on.

It will probably be a similar amount of work to fitting R1 forks, rear wheel and brake/torque arm removal I did to my Fazer and will be just a bit different.  The only thing it will lack would be a centre stand which I do find useful as it takes up a lot more space in the garage on the side stand.  I am sure we could make one for the R1 though.

That is a very interesting idea. I believe there are aftermarket center stands for the R1 but I am not sure about an older model R1.

Keep us posted if you follow up on that.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2016, 01:27:16 pm »
bably be a similar amount of work to fitting R1 forks, rear wheel and brake/torque arm removal I did to my Fazer and will be just a bit different.  The only thing it will lack would be a centre stand which I do find useful as it takes up a lot more space in the garage on the side stand.  I am sure we could make one for the R1 though.

Simple solution to that which I use is to put a piece of 1/2" or so thick wood under the side stand when in storage. I actually did it to spread the load a little and prevent damage to the wooden floor of my shed, but can get both bikes close together this way.

The "Fazered" R1 does appeal to me, but i just don't need any more power, and the Striple has satisfied my desire for nimbler handling. Don't really need that either tbh, just nice to experience now and again  :)

Seems like a good excuse to post this one again, which really does tempt me (as a 3rd bike option):

Hmmm, wonder how much a half decent 5VY model goes for these days? *goes off to check eBay* :lol
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 01:51:47 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2016, 01:51:54 pm »
I feel the same. I used to chop and change bikes every year or so as there was always something that wasn't quite right, too small and cramped, misses didn't like the pillion perch, not enough power, too much power.....But the Gen1 it seems to tick all the boxes and I've never found a valid reason to change it over the past 7 years. The only criticism I can level at it is it lacks a bit of character but that's subjective and once I'm cranked over with the needle heading towards the red line it's forgotten.

If I had to choose an alternative I honestly don't know what I would end up with. New bikes seem to be getting physically smaller whilst people are getting physically larger, so they aren't as practical and people of larger builds look silly on them, so that kind of leaves me with a 'tall-rounder'. But then we get into the willy waving which has seen manufacturers having to come up with bikes that have stupid amounts of power that then have to be coupled with rider safety aids to make them rideable. No doubt these bikes are fun to ride but it's an extra level of technology to go wrong and I honestly prefer the simplicity of the Gen1, if something goes wrong I can generally diagnose and fix it myself which can be satisfying, with one of these new techno laden bikes I wouldn't know where to start. I also think these safety aids are deskilling riders, I imagine that it could prove dangerous for someone brought up with ABS, Traction Control, Low Power Modes etc. to ride a 130bhp+ bike that didn't have these, and frankly I'd rather put my faith in my own riding abilities than someone else's programming abilities and computer hardware. Not sure where that leaves me to be honest, I think I'll go and pat my Gen1 - she's not going anywhere soon.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 01:54:43 pm by PieEater »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2016, 01:59:08 pm »
Yeah I did that with my blade but a center stand is much more civilised:) 

Intentionally left blank

Intentionally left blank

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2016, 02:05:59 pm »
Yeah I saw that one trim, I was considering a cross plane r1 as a Base but I am not keen on underseat pipes and newer ones have ram air.  That and the cost of them for am everyday runner.... I'm thinking of a 2003 one as they have more grunt

Intentionally left blank

Intentionally left blank

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2016, 02:11:53 pm »

Yeah I did that with my blade but a center stand is much more civilised:)

The Street Triple doesn't want to be civilised, it's just a lout!  :evil :lol

Quote from: PieEater
The only criticism I can level at it is it lacks a bit of character

Character is just a sum of a bike's faults? So the Fazer is faultless; suits me  :D

Yeah I saw that one trim, I was considering a cross plane r1 as a Base but I am not keen on underseat pipes and newer ones have ram air.  That and the cost of them for am everyday runner.... I'm thinking of a 2003 one as they have more grunt

2003 R1 = 5PW? That was always my favourite looks-wise, but I wouldn't want to change it's looks if I had one.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2016, 02:16:23 pm »
Yeah a 5pw.

Intentionally left blank

Intentionally left blank

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2016, 02:30:14 pm »
Quote from: PieEater
New bikes seem to be getting physically smaller whilst people are getting physically larger, so they aren't as practical and people of larger builds look silly on them

For a long while, although I wanted to try the Street Triple, I thought, no it's just physically too small, I'll be uncomfortable and look ridiculous on it. Then I sat on one in a showroom, and it actually felt ok. I'm not really that bothered I suppose whether I look silly big on it now. But it's only good for up to bout 150 miles at most before it starts to become uncomfortable - hard seat (easily solvable) and legs cramped (not so easily solvable). Thing is, if I'm going out on a bike these days, I'm usually out all day, so comfort is pretty important. With the Striple, it has almost instantly become a dilemma: the only times I really get out on it is on those few occasions when I just want to head for a local-ish cafe on a sunny Sunday. It does suit the roads around here better in that regard, as they're mostly tight and twisty and the Fazer gets to silly speeds a bit too easily for them really, although it'll happily cope if I just rein it in a bit.

But the other thing about when I bought the Triumph; because my Fazer has had the mods it has, the Striple wasn't so much a revelation in the handling stakes as it might otherwise have been. Yes, it changes line without much thought, being so much lighter,  but the Fazer actually feels more confidence inspiring with it's extra weight, more planted, and tbh, it's aftermarket suspension is better quality than the standard fare on the Triumph anyway.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2016, 03:55:42 pm »
With all the talk about the new MT10, and folks "moving on" from here to ZX10s, MT09s etc, here's a list of bikes I'm not tempted to replace my Fazer with:

BMW S1000R
GSX1000S
ZX10SX
FZ1
MT09
Tracer
Speed Triple
MT10
CB1000R (don't make me laugh!)
CBF1000 (now you're just taking the piss!)
Triumph Tiger 1050 (in any guise)

I'm sure somebody'll get there one day.

So why not then? Well, the Fazer (Ivanised, Full Monty) has plenty of power for me. I don't find the weight to be an issue. Handles beautifully and predictably with the mods it has, and no more need be spent on this. Tank range is pretty good, never feel the need for more. Fuel consumption seems reasonable when not caned. I don't feel the need for gadgets, having not experienced most of them (ABS, TC etc). Easy to pile on the luggage for touring, and still the bike handles well and performance barely affected. Comfortable over long distances - I don't even find the standard seat much of an issue on longer rides, and it seems to suit my 6' 2'' frame well.

So is it still the best all-rounder ever, bearing in mind whatever else you buy, you'll likely do some mods to? And if you are one of those who has moved on but still lingers around here, what were you looking for when you traded your Fazer for a new shiny thing? Did you find it?

Or maybe I'm more easily satisfied these days. I bought the Striple because I felt the need to try something newer, and there were so many people raving about how good they are. The idea was to have it for a year or so, then trade it for something else again, but I really don't know that I can be bothered now I have it. I find myself more inclined to just jump on the Fazer, although when my mood is right, the Triumph is still fun. But I can always get along with Old Faithful. And there's still no doubt, if I could only keep one of them, it'd be bye bye Street Triple!

Perhaps I've just got boring, and the Fazer makes for a comfortable "pipe and slippers" solution? Although I find it anything but boring to ride. Still puts a smile on my face every time I go out on it, be it a blast to a local cafe, a day in the hills or a tour taking in 1000s of miles and varied roads.

Nope, not tempted to trade in for a newer model yet  :)

It's not a pipe and slippers solution, Hedgetrimmer, it is still the best all rounder. If you test ride newer bikes you can feel the advances, some are much better handling, some have better engines, but I can't think of anything which has the reliability, simplicity of maintenance, comfort, speed and mile eating ability of the Gen 1. If only it didn't have an EXUP (!) and USD forks from new, it would be perfect.

Having said all that, sit on an MT-10 and you'll find the riding position is identical to the Gen 1... funny old world ... but then again, it is a Yamaha.

As far as riding aids go, get into the 20th century, grandad! Have you never locked up a front wheel when braking in the wet? Have you never had the rear wheel let go in the wet? Why on earth would not want a system that stabilised the bike for you in those situations? Certainly, the earlier ABS and traction control systems were crap, and I think a lot of the moaning about the new technology was because they were crap, but they're bloody excellent these days. It's just not an issue any more.

I just bought another Gen 1 because the current bike is 150k old and there's nothing out there that gets close. I'm keeping both for ever. I'm considering selling the ZZR because although it is light years ahead in certain ways (speed for one, rigidity for another) it isn't as rideable as the Gen 1. That'll leave room for the MT-10....

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2016, 06:52:41 pm »
Ah, the perenial question, is anything new better than the Fazer?

Back in 2008 I had a lightly modified Boxeye 600 and had decided that i wanted something newer/better. I rode the Striple and, IMO, it was no better than my 600 Fazer. In the end I ended up with the new CB1000R. It's a good bike and, again IMO, was the best looking thing on the road at the time BUT there were so many cheap and nasty bits on it I wanted to change that it cost me a fortune to make it approach the bike I expected. After 3 years with it I gave up and bought a 2004 Gen 1.

For me, the Fazer does just about everything I want it to do. It suits where and how I ride and I haven't seen anything that's come on the market in recent years that I'd replace it with.

It's not perfect, I wish it was lighter and, at 5'6" it's balls of the feet on the ground only but, short of a home-built special (that would probably end up looking very much like a Fazer, anyway) the only thing I'd consider would be my old 600 back!

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2016, 07:04:16 pm »
Oh, BTW, don't bother with a centerstand, get an ABBA stand!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2016, 07:46:13 pm »
I had my gen1 for six years, longest I ever kept a bike , then moved on to a gen2.  The gen2 fits me better and I wanted a bike with fuel injection, ABS was just icing on the cake. Never seen the point of having two road bikes, did it many moons ago when I had a RD250 and RD400, for some reason I prefered the 250, sold the 400 after six months as I had only used it 3 times.
To me you have to move on sometime, would you still have an old basic tv with 4 stations or a nice new hd  with god knows how much station choice?

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2016, 07:53:53 pm »
To me you have to move on sometime, would you still have an old basic tv with 4 stations or a nice new hd  with god knows how much station choice?
If the nice new one is going to decide for me what is safe for me to watch and when I can watch it,  and I need to pay for a repair man if it goes wrong rather than being able to tweak the aerial myself I'd probably keep the old one  ;)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 June 2016, 08:53:01 pm »
If the nice new one is going to decide for me what is safe for me to watch and when I can watch it,  and I need to pay for a repair man if it goes wrong rather than being able to tweak the aerial myself I'd probably keep the old one  ;)

Luddite :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 June 2016, 09:00:51 pm »

As far as riding aids go, get into the 20th century, grandad!

Er, who's the one that's behind the times?!  :rollin

Quote from: AyJay
Have you never locked up a front wheel when braking in the wet? Have you never had the rear wheel let go in the wet?

No.  :D

I have a fuel injected Street Triple with all kinds of fancy tricks on the digital dash (that I don't know how to use  :lol ); that's modern enough for me. Seriously, I don't want gadgets for the sake of it. For one thing, they increase the cost of the bikes we buy. And as PieEater says, more to go wrong, and not cheap to fix when they do. I'm a simple chap with simple tastes  :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 June 2016, 09:20:14 pm »

To me you have to move on sometime

Why?
Eventually, emissions regs will probably rule out riding the ol' gen 1s. But until then, why do I have to move on?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 June 2016, 09:25:26 pm »
Hi Hedgetrimmer,
A bit off topic, but wondered what windscreen you use for long distance/touring trips. I think that's the only area that is difficult to confidently improve as there are so many differing opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Robbo.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 June 2016, 09:32:49 pm »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2016, 09:38:46 pm »
Hi Hedgetrimmer,
A bit off topic, but wondered what windscreen you use for long distance/touring trips. I think that's the only area that is difficult to confidently improve as there are so many differing opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Robbo.

I don't actually know what screen it is. It was on there when I bought it, i think it's slightly taller than standard, and I don't swap and change between touring and everyday use. But tbh, since changing to an HJC RPHA10 helmet, I no longer get buffeting or excess noise problems - nothing to do with the screen it seems.

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 June 2016, 08:11:33 am »
this is so weird ....... i did exactly the same thing.... i bought my fazer 1000 new in 2004..... i have heavily modded it over the years to get it exactly how i liked it, but as i have got older (57 now) am finding it a bit heavy and big ( im only 5"6 )

anyhow test rode a few other bikes over the past few years, but nothing really grabbed me (except mt07 which i nearly got, but didnt )

then six weeks ago trawling through ebay a saw a white 2014 street triple and i just bought it on impulse.

hadnt ridden one but thought they must be good cos everyone raves about them.... and yes it is everything that is said about it.....
its not a r so it is a bit lower and has plusher suspension than the r..... fitted a few mods and quickshifter.... its really good fun and since i got it 5 weeks ago ive not ridden the fazer....

yesterday got the fazer out again for a quick spin and theres no way i will ever sell it..... want to keep both, but if i had to get rid of one, reluctlantly it would have to be the triumph....

ive got a new mode button

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOAh8fyuDWgGwFCGtvNwvDK1OqEoBTnPhnxd7FA
« Last Edit: 19 June 2016, 12:04:56 pm by blackcabbie »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 June 2016, 10:00:43 am »
Same here.........
I'm on my third Gen1. Bought them, modded them, sold them, regretted it and gone back to them again. I've done the same thing, but in much greater quantities with BmW GS bikes. Probably had ten or twelve of those and still looking for another.
I actually offered the Fazer up again recently to another Forum member. Thankfully, he didn't take me up on the sale. Then I booked myself on a track day, used the Fazer and had a great day out. Pound for pound, even with all my mods and extras, the bike probably is worth £2.5k. There is nothing out there for similar money that would be as versatile and wouldn't need a fair sum spending on it, to make it as good as the Gen1.
I'm very lucky, I bought (well, kind of, PCP 😄) myself a BMW S1000XR last year. Now don't get me wrong, it is a fabulous bike, great power and handling. Essentially, for me, it brings together the best parts of the GS and the power of a modern sports bike. In theory, it is as close as I've ever come to that elusive perfect One bike that suits all needs.
But, like every other bike / thing in life, it isn't perfect. I could also fill the garage with a decent mix of other bikes for the £15k price tag. It does have all of the electronic rider aids that one could ever need.
I'm not against these, but in reality, as said before, they're great while the bike is under warranty. BUT......who, other than a BMW dealer, is going to be able to fix them when they go wrong out of warranty? I certainly won't be able to.
Do I REALLY need asc / traction, anti wheelie, power modes, ESA? I'm not convinced. I tend to stick with the same suspension settings, now the wife rarely comes out on the bike. When I ride in the wet, I'm careful with the throttle and try to be smooth. if I want to go fast, I open the throttle a bit quicker and wider.
Do I want to take my £15k XR on a track day? Absolutely. Can I afford to risk doing so though? Umm, no!
If you want to go and order a new bike without all of these riding aids, you either can't, or the dealer sells you horror stories over protracted delivery schedules and that "nobody will want to buy it off of you second hand, they'll all want the top spec bikes, it'll be worth nothing".
My two Penneth for what it's worth. I'm probably going to keep the Gen1 and go back to another GS. 👍

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 June 2016, 11:22:43 am »
the thing with the fazer is its a bit of an enigma.... it wont win any beauty contests, but it does look good from some angles..... its nice when your bike gets admiring looks when you are at some bike meet, but the fazer gets none..... anyone who has not had one will totally dismiss it.......... i think the carbs are the main thing with the fazer.... by 2004 most other bikes had gone to fi.... the carb engined fazer is so smooth.... i dont think the carb smoothness can be replicated on any fi bike....... none that i have ridden anyway
« Last Edit: 19 June 2016, 11:25:07 am by blackcabbie »

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 June 2016, 12:11:01 pm »
When I saw my first Gen 1 I saw on the road, I thought it looked great. I love that big ol' engine canted forward. It looked modern back then. It is a bit anonymous now though, and you're dead right, from some angles it looks great, others, not so much.

As for FI, you can't say carb smoothness can't be replicated and then say you haven't ridden any... kind of destroys your argument. Some FI bikes are rotten, without doubt, but a lot of them are easily as good as carb'd bikes. And I have a ridden a lot of FI bikes.

What gets me about the Fazer, is that you can trickle it down to 15/20mph in 6th and still pull away. It's like an automatic when you're tired and on a tour, you just twist and go. Try that on a Multistrada and the engine will jump clean out of the chassis...