Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:14 pm

Author Topic: What did you do with whatever else you've got?  (Read 505678 times)

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do with whatever else you've got?
« Reply #2300 on: 10 April 2020, 09:04:29 pm »
😂 Love that stool. Saved it from a firewood pile!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: 16 April 2020, 06:21:42 pm »
 Took the R1250R to work today.  As it’s only 7 miles to work I took the long way home.  Well, I need to give it a longer to run to help run her in.

It’s a long time since I rode the demo bike.  But yeah, I find the throttle very sensitive and immediate, and the bike is generally sensitive to input as a whole.  Was definitely happy to discover the gearbox is as sweet as a nut.  I have no idea why road riders want quick shifters – the beemer snicks through the gears just as smoothly as my old thou. 

I did occur to me on my ride home that I hardly ever touch the brakes on this thing – the engine breaking is quite pronounced. 

Oh and that torque – you twist the throttle, there’s then a sort of farty noise and it just sits up and takes off.   At some point I need to switch the traction control off as I’m sure it’s keeping the front wheel down all the time.  I’m limited to 5000rpm running in – but that’s 90mph – so yeah plenty of fun to be had on this even running it in. 

The one thing I don’t like at the mo is the mirrors.  I’m used to the mirrors being forward of me, plus when I do look in them it’s a different perspective you get than from the Fazer’s mirrors.  It’s like I have to think to use em, and think again when using them.

Still lots of salt and grit about but it’s done dry so not sticking to the bike, but there’s so much of it about and with so little traffic it’s accumulating here and there – a bit of a hazard.

Anyway, probably take it to work tomorrow, and I think I’m due a detour to my favourite butchers on the way home. 

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: 16 April 2020, 08:24:36 pm »
During the lockdown I've repaired the wood on the gable ends of our bungalow,the one side I did pretty fast but I couldn't get some stuff I needed for the other but found a hardware shop selling out of his door onto the pavement so was able to get the stuff to finish the other side,really expensive compared to builders yards though. ;)  Anyway needs must and another week or so will see it finished. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 16 April 2020, 08:26:28 pm by coffee »
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: 18 April 2020, 01:01:17 pm »
 So yeah rode it to work again.  Completely puzzled as to why I can switch the front headlamp off – I thought EU regs meant it was always on – and I would rather it was always on. 

Took a detour on the way home to my favourite butchers, but darn it they have changed their opening hours for Covid19.  So that just meant I had to take the bike out again this morning. :)

The roads are amazing – just deserted.  I was reading traffic in Scotland is now around the same level that it was in 1955!   I was so tempted to go for a decent spin, but darn if we all start doing that……. so just 8 miles there and 8 miles back. 

Glad I speced cruise control.  Just figured out how to use it this morning.  I’ve been finding the R1250R really hard to hold to a steady 30mph, the throttle is so light and sensitive and the engine just has incredible low-down torque.  So, I now find myself hitting the cruise control for 30mph zones – not what I thought I’d use it for – but it solves that particular problem. 

Beemer back in the garage for the week as I’m now on stand-by till the week after.

This is murder. :evil

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: 21 April 2020, 07:35:15 pm »
whilst iam on lockdown thought it would be a good idea to give the cage a bit of tlc, had a bit of a stutter  :rolleyes  recently so fitted a new coil pack and solved the problem,ive had a bit of a knocking sound on pull away since ive had the car , just over 3 years, so jacked it up and propped on axle stands and had a good poke around , found slight play in one of the cv joints and also a grumbling bearing on the same shaft,  ordered a new complete shaft from euro car parts using their same day delivert service, arrived 2 hrs later  :thumbup ..opened the box to find a rusty,oily used shaft  :eek :eek :eek ...looks like a previous customer has fitted a new shaft and returned their old one for a refund and its not been checked...email sent but no reply yet...
One, is never going to be enough.....

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: 21 April 2020, 09:17:51 pm »
Oh! man ! you could be in the shit there,they might think you're trying it on  :eek  I really hope you get a result,is it a return system where they refurb your old one?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: 21 April 2020, 10:18:57 pm »
Oh! man ! you could be in the shit there,they might think you're trying it on  :eek  I really hope you get a result,is it a return system where they refurb your old one?

yes,iam thinking the same COFFEE  :\ [size=78%], if i dont get a email reply by mid morning tomorrow i`ll phone my local branch where the driveshaft came from and see if they will exchange it,they are only serving key workers,iam not but mrs is , i use them a lot so should be ok...strange thing is the driveshaft they delivered although a well used one i cant see anything wrong with it...[/size]

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: 22 April 2020, 02:14:20 pm »

yes,iam thinking the same COFFEE  :\ [size=78%], if i dont get a email reply by mid morning tomorrow i`ll phone my local branch where the driveshaft came from and see if they will exchange it,they are only serving key workers,iam not but mrs is , i use them a lot so should be ok...strange thing is the driveshaft they delivered although a well used one i cant see anything wrong with it...[/size]

got no reply from customer services so i phoned the local branch, no problem taking it back and i now have a new one...just need to fit it now...

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: 22 April 2020, 07:25:27 pm »
Treated my mountain bike to new pads front and rear. Two pairs of Shimano's organic finest £9.65, sorted.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: 23 April 2020, 08:44:55 pm »

got no reply from customer services so i phoned the local branch, no problem taking it back and i now have a new one...just need to fit it now...
  Megga! pleased for you buddy. :thumbup

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: 29 April 2020, 08:09:09 pm »
 So, after refusing to take the new bike oot fae weeks cos of the state of the roads. Well I got impatient waiting for some rain to wash all the crap from the roads.  So been using it to get to and from work.  Finally, the rain came today.  Lovely.  Plus got wet all over again washing it down before I threw it in the garage.  Oh, one thing I’ve noticed about this bike, it seems to suck all the road shit in behind it, salt and grit all down my legs, arse and lower back.  Must remember not to sit down when taking my boots off – made a mess of the couch in ma wee conservatory.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: 29 April 2020, 08:15:00 pm »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: 29 April 2020, 09:02:05 pm »
I know that's the idea of them but it's almost criminal to see a new shiney bike get that way so early in it's life 😅
Just to know it's never gonna be 100% clean again.
On the plus side theres something to be said about the joy of cleaning your bike

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: 29 April 2020, 09:11:24 pm »
I know that's the idea of them but it's almost criminal to see a new shiney bike get that way so early in it's life 😅
Just to know it's never gonna be 100% clean again.
On the plus side theres something to be said about the joy of cleaning your bike
Cheers Dude.

Yeah, I know.  It sat there in my garage for several weeks looking too good to use.  I’m keen to get it run in though.  Frustrating time for us all, and a frustrating time to have a brand new bike on ma hands.  So, it’s 7 miles to work, but umm, I keep getting a wee bit lost on the way home – can’t help it, so it’s clocking up 40 miles every work day. 
Probably gonna take the car tomorrow though.  If I take the bike it’ll need washed again.  I’m not that fussed about washing bikes, and that crap is all salt and grit.  Friday looks dry though. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: 02 May 2020, 06:40:48 am »
Ignition switch on my Triumph has progressively got iffy over the winter. Have tried cleaning out with WD40 and then lubing it, but is hit and miss whether it will physically switch from off to on. Thought I'd get the switch off for a closer look. What a ball ache
 In order to remove the top yoke the bottom one is supposed to be removed first as there are interlocking lugs on the frame and ignition switch. Have dropped the forks and headlamp assembly. Hoping if I remove the tank tomorrow, I can rotate the top yoke sufficiently to disengage it from the lug on the frame.

Only just spotted this post about your ignition switch saga, i really wish i'd seen it before because i could have saved you a load of grief.

I was having trouble starting my bike for ages, maybe even up to two years, and some days it would be fine but other days it would cause all sorts of pain. The main thing was backfiring in colder climates. The problem with that was that i used to park my bike right next to our glass fronted reception at work, and it used to scare the crap out of the receptionists with a massive bang before it turned over, then it would run sweet as a nut.

Over time i replaced electrical parts, plugs, clipped HT leads, bypassed the side stand switch, etc, but it still quite randomly misbehaved.

One evening i had the same shit happen again but after starting it i rode off but it then conked out after about a minute. After eventually getting it started again and getting home the way the engine had just died immediately as if the key was turned off led me down a new search on the internet, and it was suggested that the ignition switch could be the fault.

Over a long time i had used WD40, graphite powder, and even oil to try and lube the ignition, but also learned that it wasn't just a simple on/off switch, it consisted of several contacts in the barrel that got connected.

So i already had a can of electrical contact cleaner at home and decided to saturate the hell out of the barrel, also using the key to move things about a bit as well.

TOTALLY sorted it out. As simple as that, it was dirty contacts in the barrel caused by many different things i'd tried over the years, presumably causing a paste or congealing inside, which got worse in colder weather or could be unpredictable if rain got down there, it obviously moved things about a bit then just dried up again, which was why it was so hit and miss. 

Worth knowing for future reference anyway, reading your post earlier brought it all back to me.
Just drench it in proper Electrical Contact Cleaner which does have a very fine lubricant in it, but NOT a degreaser spray which will dry it out too much and will likely leave a powdery residue, and not WD40 which is a bit too oily and will eventually attract dust. :thumbup 
« Last Edit: 02 May 2020, 06:42:34 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: 02 May 2020, 07:48:00 am »
Thanks darrsi, but no worries, it kept me occupied for a few days. I must admit, I did expect some improvement after a good flushing with WD, but that wasn’t the case. The paraffin soak seemed to sort it out, but as you say, the contact cleaner would have done the trick with a lot less drama. :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: 02 May 2020, 10:42:02 am »
Thanks darrsi, but no worries, it kept me occupied for a few days. I must admit, I did expect some improvement after a good flushing with WD, but that wasn’t the case. The paraffin soak seemed to sort it out, but as you say, the contact cleaner would have done the trick with a lot less drama. :)

The thing is, when you have starting issues your mind doesn't tend to go straight for the ignition barrel as a cause, you just start with the basics like plugs, leads, filter, etc, but once you've covered those then it all starts becoming a bit of a headache and much more involved.  :groan
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: 02 May 2020, 11:24:25 am »
Well that fault was purely the inability to physically turn the ignition from off to on. You could turn it anti-clockwise to lock the handdlebars or switch on the parking light, but knowing it would switch on was very hit and miss. It's got about 65k miles and is 26 years old now, so no doubt very worn. Still, it's ok at present, but I expect the next step will be a new switch. Thanks again :thumbup .

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: 24 May 2020, 08:12:09 pm »
finished this lockdown project...that was the easy bit...hard bit...asking my daughter if my 8 year old  grandson can have a bike.....
« Last Edit: 24 May 2020, 08:19:45 pm by red98 »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: 26 May 2020, 03:33:26 pm »
went to sunny hunny (hunstanton) on the bank holiday. Loads of bikes there, mostly cruisers, classics etc. The days of everybody riding a race rep are long gone. sea was so far out i swear you could walk across the wash. only another 900 quid to go and i get my fazer back. though the xjr is blimming excellent.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: 12 June 2020, 08:19:15 pm »
Took the new toy out for a ride and yes I am old and it fits my arse perfectly  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: 14 June 2020, 04:00:14 pm »

Took #1 car for its first MOT on Friday. Could have left it a bit longer what with the 6 month extension in place, but bang on the middle of the year suits me fine going forward rather than autumn or winter.

All went well with the new Covid measures in place. They've introduced a one-way system in & out of the showroom/service area + sanitising/desk screens etc...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: 14 June 2020, 10:13:42 pm »
I am using the 6 month extension to move my car mot to a more convenient time of year for my needs without having to to pay twice in a year to move it.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: 16 June 2020, 02:48:25 pm »
Fitted a PUIG screen tae the Beemer;

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: 07 July 2020, 10:00:05 pm »
No photo description available.
I needed to filter the spark he said and now it won't start.  :rolleyes I think the filter might be on the wrong way round or maybe its the wrong filter.   :eek What do you knowledgeable foccers think? I need to have this running by the weekend. :D