Date: 29-03-24  Time: 06:34 am

Author Topic: Rear wheel alignment  (Read 1069 times)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rear wheel alignment
« on: 06 August 2019, 11:28:25 am »
Having tightened my chain the other day I was wondering how accurate the swing arm chain markings are?There seems to me to be to many variables with the manufacturer and welding etc for the markings to be accurate.
Having looked on line for a tool to check for  wheel alignment l was surprised by how many and how different there  are out there.The laser tool looks like the best, but at around £70 it is out of my price range.  l did find tools around £5 , but not sure if they work ,soIs it worth the bother of even buying a tool?Are the alignment marks close enough not to worry about it.Is there  a simple and easy option to check alignment.Does the wheel being slightly being out of alignment really matter?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Rear wheel alignment
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2019, 11:46:31 am »

I’ve never had difficulty doing it by eye on any of my bikes.
Sight down the edges of the front tyre and adjust the steering until you see equal widths of rear tyre.
Gently prop a couple of straight lengths of 2 x 4 against either side of the front and recheck it’s still pointing at the centre of the rear tyre.
Now sight along the two sides of the rear, if it’s out of alignment it’ll be very obvious.
If you need to adjust do so and repeat the lining-up procedure each time. When it’s right just make a note of how far to offset the rear wheel from the factory alignment markings and you shouldn’t need to bother again.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2019, 12:34:29 pm »
You could try measuring from the rear of the adjuster block to the end of the swing arm, using the depth gauge on a vernier, or a decent steel ruler. Any adjustments you need to make, just count the flats on the adjuster, until it's correct.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2019, 07:55:46 pm »
From an engineering point of view, a straight edge across the front and rear sprockets should be the best result, since it will mean less wear on the chain and sprockets. However, in the real world, in my experience, taht method also means the alignment marks on the swingarm may be out, and the front and rear tyres out of alignment. Its a bit like a "whats the best tyres" thread. Another to try is measuring the distance from the centre of the swingarm pivot to the centre of the rear axle. Ya teks ya pick.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2019, 08:19:09 pm »
I have the fancy Giles adjusters on mine and when putting the rear wheel back in I just have to pull it back as far is it will go and presto.... it's set.
The adjusters don't move so the wheel will be exactly where it was before you removed it
I've never tried it with standard adjusters so I didnt realise it took that much messing about haha

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2019, 07:00:41 am »

A piece of string is my friend when it comes to wheel alignment, simply loop around back of the rear wheel half way along and pull it tight down each side from in front of the bike until it just touches the front lip of the rear tyre - it's amazing how clearly it shows the slightest misalignment against the front wheel.

£70 for a lazer? No thanks.
is it clean enough?

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2019, 06:16:48 pm »
If it was out a bit I wouldn't have thought it mattered on the road and some good club racers don't bother to much, they're to busy trying to make the next race after coming off or breaking down bless 'em. ;)
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.