Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:07 am

Author Topic: Which Throwovers?  (Read 1420 times)

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Which Throwovers?
« on: 08 October 2017, 09:14:25 pm »
 I've got a pair of Oxford Lifetime Sports throwover Panniers that are fine for solo use but get in the way of the pillion footrests, so I can't use them 2 up. Just wondering what other people use when they go touring on their Fazer with the Mrs on the back. I don't want the width or expense of hard panniers.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Which Throwovers?
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2017, 11:35:16 am »
Hi Vinny,

I use the Oxford ones same as you and have also found they blocked access to the rear pegs if mounted in the usual way, but we found we were able to mount them further back to allow comfortable access.

This has worked fine for several tours including our recent honeymoon ride from Santander in Spain back to the UK.

Mounted this way only two of the three straps goes under the seat, whilst the third runs over the fairing at the rear of the bike (between the seat and the rear grab rail).

Don't worry, they're not going anywhere, I've done thousands of miles with them like this and so long as there's a good couple of straps under the seat plus ancillary bungees they're fine.

The main issue with this set-up is that when heavy they rest on the indicators, but you can use bungees to support them at the bottom and take the load, keeping the weight off the indicators.

I tend to tie them to the rear foot peg hangars at the front.

To support the rear I use bungees attached to the base of the pannier on the inside next to the bike, then run them under the pannier and up and around it's outer side, then through the carry handle and then under the pillion grab handle and then finally attached to the net which I have over the top of my top box.

I'd be interested to hear how other folks solve this problem as although it works anything which increases pillion comfort is welcome!

Hope this helps, Andy
« Last Edit: 09 October 2017, 11:37:59 am by andybesy »

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2017, 03:21:04 pm »
 Thanks Andy, I did try that way, with the rear  strap over the tail piece under the rear carrier but the way they rested on the indicators worried me a bit. I think I may try shorter indicators. I put my straps over not under the seat but haven't tried it with the rear straps over the carrier, which may be worth a try. Congratulations on your marriage by the way :thumbup 

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2017, 03:40:09 pm »
the trick is to remove the pillion footrests.
that way the wife has to stay at home so you have less to carry
WIN
-do not attempt if you still have milk or coal delivered !!!!!!! :lol

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2017, 02:21:00 pm »

the trick is to remove the pillion footrests.
that way the wife has to stay at home so you have less to carry
WIN
-do not attempt if you still have milk or coal delivered !!!!!!! :lol
That's an option. I'll ask her what she thinks to it :lol