Date: 25-04-24  Time: 05:58 am

Author Topic: Scottoiler users....  (Read 11484 times)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Scottoiler users....
« on: 07 March 2014, 06:54:54 am »
Where have you routed your pipe?

I bought my Fazer 9 months ago and it had one already fitted, with the pipe tied under the swing arm, aimed at the outer face of the rear sprocket at the 6 o'clock position, just like in every online guide I've ever read (letting the oil hit the sprocket rather than the chain and therefore spreading more evenly).  :\

I've regularly checked my chain tension and kept it around 35mm, but it has needed regular adjustment which indicates wear and stretching, something a scottoiler is meant to reduce.

A couple of days back my chain went a knacker (didn't snap luckily), and it looks like the scottoiler was only lubing one side of it, as the other side is rustier than a 2 year old Skyjet!  :lol

So if you use a scottoiler, do you have any suggestions/advice as to where I should aim my pipe?
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Scottoiler users....
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2014, 07:52:57 am »
Dual injector
+1
Also, a scottoiler isn't a 'fit and forget' as many suggest, you still need to check the injector is in the correct position and not blocked, and it's still worth cleaning your chain every few thousand miles and re lubing!
Some say...

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2014, 08:24:40 am »
Dual injector
+1
Also, a scottoiler isn't a 'fit and forget' as many suggest, you still need to check the injector is in the correct position and not blocked, and it's still worth cleaning your chain every few thousand miles and re lubing!

+1 for everything Punkstig said.

I used to have a scotoiler on my old bike.  Whenever I changed the engine oil on the bike I kept some of it by in a pot with a paint brush in it.  My routine would be to give the chain a good coat of oil every friday when I got home from work or every time I got home and If I had been riding in the rain.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2014, 10:29:09 am »
I've replaced both of the injectors on mine a number of times using the tubes from cotton buds, a sharp knife to get the injector angle right, a lighter to heat/bend and fatten the end...works a treat!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2014, 10:44:38 am »
Used engine oil shouldn't really be used on the chain, spoke to my mechanic about this as intended to put my old oil through a coffee filter and use it in oiler but apparently it can be harmful to the rubber O/X rings.
I just use cheap gear oil.
Good comment on the cotton buds!
« Last Edit: 07 March 2014, 10:45:39 am by Punkstig »
Some say...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2014, 10:44:51 am »
I've had them on my past 10 bikes, and I find the single injector needs quite a high flow of oil to get to the inside of the chain. That normally means you get a load on your wheel/tyre.

I do as some others on here, once a month I manually coat the chain in engine oil. I find Scottoil a bit too thin, so i don't use it anymore.  I just put engine oil in it, much better!

I also open up the brass nozzle slightly in the end of the reservoir when using engine oil,it helps with bleeding the system, and gives better control.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2014, 05:15:09 pm »
All good advice, cheers guys.

How do you go about fitting a second injector? That sounds like the best option so far.
Can I fit a T-piece along the swing arm, or does it have to be at the reservoir end to guarantee even pressure/feed?
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2014, 05:47:52 pm »
Just buy a dual injector and fit it, a lot less messing about. Had one my bandit and it was quite good. The chain definately got oiled!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2014, 08:29:40 pm »
Used engine oil shouldn't really be used on the chain, spoke to my mechanic about this as intended to put my old oil through a coffee filter and use it in oiler but apparently it can be harmful to the rubber O/X rings.

Change your machanic he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about!
Later

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2014, 08:49:35 pm »
+1 on used oil. I've been using it for years with no I'll effects. It's just a bit muckier than new oil.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2014, 09:39:31 pm »
Not forgetting why we have to change oil in the first place...
Some say...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2014, 09:44:55 pm »
If its gone through a coffee filter, why not? A friend keeps all his old diesel oil and swears by it for degreasing and releasing stiff nuts & bolts. And I have to agree, works a treat!
The Deef's apprentice

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2014, 09:50:51 pm »
Then why not stick it back on your engine?
Some say...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2014, 09:55:54 pm »
I guess the heat cycles reduce its lubricative performance. But I can't see why it can't handle a relatively easy lubrication job of s chain (as opposed to a piston at 10k rpm)
The Deef's apprentice

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2014, 09:57:59 pm »
surely putting it through a coffee filter doesnt remove the carbon buildup from the oil? Ive never tried it before so wouldnt know.

I just stick with the proper scottoil, the blue stuff, but I think you get red stuff which is a different viscosity?
« Last Edit: 07 March 2014, 09:58:43 pm by mickvp »

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 March 2014, 10:00:01 pm »
So, is used engine oil out of my Fazer engine ok to put on my chain via my Scot oiler?
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 March 2014, 10:07:28 pm »
plenty of people do yeah

Mine has the dual injector but scotoil in it from the looks of it (not had to refil it yet - only done 2000 miles since november)
Intentionally left blank

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 March 2014, 10:10:09 pm »
Used engine oil contains a few nasty things, unfortunately when mixed with water can chemicaly turn acidic, if you're a unicorn rider then it's not so much of a problem to use on the chain, however, not so helpful if you ride in the rain!
Some say...

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 March 2014, 10:11:09 pm »
sorry to highjack a bit, mines only has a single injector. Can I buy a kit to change it do a duel injector kit, or do I need a full new system?

EDIT aha! it appears you can just buy the duel injector from scottoiler for about £25 quid.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2014, 10:14:35 pm by mickvp »

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 March 2014, 10:16:21 pm »
plenty of people do yeah

Mine has the dual injector but scotoil in it from the looks of it (not had to refil it yet - only done 2000 miles since november)

If you have done 2000 miles and not had to top up the resivior I think you need to adjust the feed, check your chain I would imagine it will be pretty dry. I used to top up every 1000miles nearly always empty and I was not getting any or little spatter onto the rear wheel/tyre
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 March 2014, 10:20:45 pm »
It has the magnum hcr on it. Plenty left
Intentionally left blank

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 March 2014, 12:05:41 am »
Used engine oil contains a few nasty things, unfortunately when mixed with water can chemicaly turn acidic, if you're a unicorn rider then it's not so much of a problem to use on the chain, however, not so helpful if you ride in the rain!
As I've said, I've been using it for years and never had a problem. I'm a 365 biker, and 30k/year. Never had a rotten chain, albeit a very grubby back wheel and swingarm!
Old engine oil has past it's usefulness in an engine, getting compressed, and heated, and cooled, but it's still slippery stuff when it comes out of the sump which is all a chain needs really. It's also pretty well filtered already, but it can't hurt to put it through a coffee filter. Each to their own I suppose, bit I'm too tight to pay for Scottoil that's too thin for what I need all year round, and in all weathers.
Gotta admit that I've got fresh engine oil in my oiler atm (asda cheap crap), but only because I ditched my last mucky oil by mistake in my garage clear out.

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 March 2014, 07:16:22 am »
 :)  Just another thumbs up for the Scotoiler system ...
I've been using them sinse they first surfaced .. many years ago.  Had them on several different types of large bikes .. never bought a chain and can't remember when I last had to adjust one.

I've used all kinds of oil in them .. including Chain Saw Oil and old engine oil .. it all does the job.  Navy Training states: A wet chain is a happy chain  :b  .. and they sure ain't talking salt water  :\

Current chain on my Honda CB 1300 S with Sidecar .. that's a lot of extra weight for any chain to be pulling .. has done just over 22.000 miles to date .. not had to aduust anything yet.

Best bit of kit for any chain driven bike .. in my oopinion  8)    Stay Safe Guys.     Trev the Polar Bear.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #23 on: 08 March 2014, 08:10:31 am »

Exactly. I've stopped using used engine oil on the bicycle chain long long time ago - it wasn't good. Used engine oil is good for fire and protecting wood on old fences, shacks etc.

He is a MECHANIC, not a chemist. Even if he didn't have any clue about oils, he could still be top notch with repairing/replacing bike parts. Old oil does become more acid like - so not the best thing for rubber.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2014, 08:14:34 am by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 March 2014, 08:22:59 am »
Gotta love forums!
Some say...