Date: 16-04-24  Time: 07:28 am

Author Topic: How Does My Sprocket look To You  (Read 2422 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
How Does My Sprocket look To You
« on: 30 March 2017, 08:52:22 pm »
I know at almost 20k it will need changing soon and I can see some wear but I think its ok for a while yet - what do you think ( apart from the 9mm nut )

Just looked back at my old post and the first time I had the cover off was September 2013, here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,9882.msg101656.html#msg101656 I promised myself that I would do it more often to check the nut but - my how time flies, but the nut is still ok, I did actually find out that you can see the nut without taking the cover off by looking from underneath which I have done a few times.

Also some bonus photos of the inside of the cover after cleaning

An angle shot of the nut for future use on any Nut questions

« Last Edit: 30 March 2017, 09:03:27 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: How Does My Sprocket look To You
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2017, 08:44:06 am »
Looks OK to me.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2017, 10:16:49 am »
Yep looks ok but try moving chain on sprocket to check for excess movement.

But what is that crap sitting on the casing? it looks like metal swarf or shavings!!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2017, 10:40:36 am »

To judge by those photos, there’s easily another 10,000 miles of life in the sprocket at that rate of wear, it's obviously been kept well lubricated.
Provided it runs smoothly still then I'd not disturb the nut, particularly since you’ve an early model when they superglued them on.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2017, 11:22:14 am »
Thanks for the input chaps.

The "stuff" is fling off from NO Fling chain lube  :rolleyes yeh so no such thing as no fling lube.
Its Putoline - Tech Chain https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/238735?r=GS&gclid=CK-e06PBgNMCFcG7GwodefECPA

I usually put it on after a ride (not every ride ) when the chain is still warm, it comes out thin and then seeps in and then sets, I think the fling off is just the extra that I did not need to put on in the first place and that is 3 1/2 years of build up which equates to about 3k miles for me. I also like it cause its nice and white.

Some people say that kind of wax attracts more crap that sticks to it but that is more so for people who ride in all weathers - so not me  :sun .   

Here it is after a clean and a bit of ACF50 on some rusty bits

I wonder it the purple bit on the nut is anything to do with an indication in the factory that the nut has been torqued

Also a little tip for anyone reading this in the future is to mark with a pen the position of the gear selector before you take it off, you can just make out a black line on the end of the shaft which lines up with the bolt on section now removed.

« Last Edit: 31 March 2017, 11:30:56 am by fazersharp »

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2017, 04:18:07 pm »
hi matey looks cool' about the same as mine looked after 10k mind that mine has had 5 owners.
 possibly up for sprocket change as they are case hardend. i will be changing mine this year :rollin i hope to anyway...
some say change the whole lot together, but i like the three front to one back theory
                                                         safe ride one and all mogs.

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2017, 06:50:53 pm »
Looks much better now!! Can you come and clean mine  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2017, 07:32:07 pm »
I think I will do the set when I do it partly because I think its time to re grease the swing arm and I will be fitting a linkless chain and do the lot in one go.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2017, 10:59:03 pm »
Nothing counts until you've ridden the bike through the winter with salted roads!!!
Harsh, but true ;)

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2017, 11:16:58 pm »
Nothing counts until you've ridden the bike through the winter with salted roads!!!
Harsh, but true  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2017, 11:40:32 pm »
Harsh, but true  ;)

I'm honestly not taking the piss, it's just reality, his bike, lovely as it is, just doesn't suffer the abuse that an all weather bike does, and it makes a massive difference.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 March 2017, 11:46:54 pm »
It does and to the resale value too :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2017, 11:29:04 am »
Harsh, but true  ;)

I'm honestly not taking the piss, it's just reality, his bike, lovely as it is, just doesn't suffer the abuse that an all weather bike does, and it makes a massive difference.

I totally agree about riding in crap weather and everything I say about rust or wear and tear always has to have the no rain caveat and to that end I do quite often add an extra note like in my earlier post about the last time I cleaned out the cover I said it was 3 years but also added that was 3k miles for me. I also have added the text line to my signature -no rain.

What is interesting though is that I still have cracked inlet rubbers and a rusting exhaust, centre stand and side stand.
I only ride for fun but it aint fun in the wet.

And the day darrsi stops taking the piss is the day that I leave this forum---- crack on mate 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2017, 12:12:14 pm »
Harsh, but true  ;)

I totally agree about riding in crap weather and everything I say about rust or wear and tear always has to have the no rain caveat and to that end I do quite often add an extra note like in my earlier post about the last time I cleaned out the cover I said it was 3 years but also added that was 3k miles for me. I also have added the text line to my signature -no rain.

What is interesting though is that I still have cracked inlet rubbers and a rusting exhaust, centre stand and side stand.

And the day darrsi stops taking the piss is the day that I leave this forum---- crack on mate

Downpipes are mild steel, we all know that they are known to rust eventually, so as long as your air filter is sucking in air, or your bike cools down on a damp day then the exhaust is coming in to contact with moisture, albeit internally.
Centre stands are just weak i reckon, i was really lucky to change mine for an almost new one i won on Ebay for 99p + postage after my old one was just rusted and twisted out of shape.
And as for the rubbers, they're 19 years old. Rubber perishes over time, even more so if constantly heated up, so that's just completely expected over that many years, regardless of mileage.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2017, 12:42:27 pm »
Harsh, but true  ;)

Downpipes are mild steel, we all know that they are known to rust eventually, so as long as your air filter is sucking in air, or your bike cools down on a damp day then the exhaust is coming in to contact with moisture, albeit internally.
Centre stands are just weak i reckon, i was really lucky to change mine for an almost new one i won on Ebay for 99p + postage after my old one was just rusted and twisted out of shape.
And as for the rubbers, they're 19 years old. Rubber perishes over time, even more so if constantly heated up, so that's just completely expected over that many years, regardless of mileage.   
I think the main culprit for the rubbers is the sunlight as the inner ones are pretty much ok from hat I can see.

I do sometimes have to go through a little puddle that is in the shade and hasn't quite fully dried up yet. Think I should change my user name to Incy Wincy as I only come out in the sunshine.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2017, 12:56:10 pm »

My inlet rubbers are still in good condition. I wonder if smearing a bit of red rubber grease around them occasionally would stop them drying out and cracking? Got a big tin of it gotta use it up somehow :lol