Date: 24-04-24  Time: 11:34 am

Author Topic: Did you survive Dorris  (Read 2272 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Did you survive Dorris
« on: 23 February 2017, 09:53:38 pm »
Looks like Sharp Hall survived but at least a couple of houses around these parts are now missing a ridge tile, a couple of fences have had a make over too, I got hit a couple of years ago loosing 8 ridge tiles.
Anyone make the mistake of covering the bike and making a sail for the wind to blow it over for you.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Did you survive Dorris
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2017, 10:00:38 pm »
I'm livid. The wind here was so insane that I lost my favourite floater :-(

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2017, 10:01:40 pm »
EH ?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2017, 10:35:42 pm »
Well I spent about 8 or 9 hours two weeks ago picking up all the leaves from my back garden and the path along the side of the house and out from under the long lean to, the patio and the front garden. Loaded them up in builders 1 tonne sling bags 3 of them and drove them down the recycling centre.

Chatting with John my neighbour the following day, he said he could not be arsed raking up the leaves and they they tend to disappear over winter anyway, well his garden is completely clear of leaves so he was right , the problem is the foccing lot are now scattered all over my property, I have all of them, we get like a little whirl wind by my backdoor and about a 1 tonne sling full has been deposited there the cat struggles to get through the cat flap  :eek

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2017, 10:59:46 pm »
Lost part of my back fence ( see what gets my goat section ) due to a numpty neighbour employing the gardening version of "tarmac ya drive guvnor" pikeys to change his back fence. I wouldn't mind but my fence was good and sturdy until then now on floor and back garden available to anyone who wants to use it or go into my shed.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2017, 11:06:23 pm »
I took my life in my hands and went for a walk this afternoon... nearly got hit by several twigs while in the woods and the waves on the lake when I got there were truly impressive... literally several inches high.

« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 07:20:45 pm by Fazerider »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2017, 11:40:52 pm »
I took my life in my hands and went for a walk this afternoon... nearly got hit by several twigs while in the woods and the waves on the lake when I got there were truly impressive... literally several inches high.

A veritable tsunami, you were a brave boy and them twigs can take your eye out.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2017, 06:30:08 am »
Wasn't too bad when i left for work, then about half way there the wind really started suddenly gusting and twice nearly chucked me into the path of oncoming artic' lorries.
The second time it happened the wind rapidly changed direction a few times and it must've looked like i was riding in and out of cones to compensate.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2017, 09:12:25 am »
Wasn't too bad when i left for work, then about half way there the wind really started suddenly gusting and twice nearly chucked me into the path of oncoming artic' lorries.
The second time it happened the wind rapidly changed direction a few times and it must've looked like i was riding in and out of cones to compensate.

i bet defo not a god day to be on a bike

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2017, 12:09:04 pm »

I've ridden in all weathers over the years but that was a particularly gusty day.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2017, 06:19:21 pm »

I've ridden in all weathers over the years but that was a particularly gusty day.

I braved it like Darrsi - watched a cyclist get blown into the kerb in London and fall off quite hard. Thought about stopping to see if he was ok but couldn't be asked - it is the thought that counts though  :lol  I told myself as I rode on pissing myself.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2017, 12:52:31 pm »
Doris, Doris who the Focs Doris.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2017, 12:33:17 am »
Anyone make the mistake of covering the bike and making a sail for the wind to blow it over for you.

Yes I bloody did!!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'(

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2017, 02:11:18 am »

Gusty!!!  FFS Darrsi!  it was a gale man, where your artistic licence? Big it up mate, tell us how you were at full throttle in forth heading up the high street and still only making 15 mph against the wind and how the double decker blew over on its side as it was waiting at the lights. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. :eek :guitar

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2017, 07:08:30 am »

Gusty!!!  FFS Darrsi!  it was a gale man, where your artistic licence? Big it up mate, tell us how you were at full throttle in forth heading up the high street and still only making 15 mph against the wind and how the double decker blew over on its side as it was waiting at the lights. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. :eek :guitar

15mph is what it's normally like if there's a tube strike on a hot & sunny day so not much change there.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2017, 11:13:32 am »

Yes I bloody did!!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Sorry for you fella - much damage

EDIT to say I have just read your separate post 
« Last Edit: 28 February 2017, 11:16:40 am by fazersharp »

iamthearrison

• CBT Wobbler
  • Motorcycling craft beer nerd
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2017, 12:23:22 pm »
I rode home from work in it on my cb500. 16 miles over the high peak road from Hathersage to Sheffield. Wind was so strong that headwinds reduced the bike to 40mph flat out and were lifting the front wheel, and sidewinds were trying to blow me into the fields.
Everyone has to believe in something. I believe Ill have another beer