Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:29 am

Author Topic: Down one tooth on the front sprocket  (Read 2747 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Down one tooth on the front sprocket
« on: 27 December 2019, 07:12:08 pm »
As per the title. Thinking of going down one on the front. I moved up to inters last year on the track, and I rode faster as a result. while the fazer has very decent braking and allows me to brake later and harder than others in the group, those same bikes simply blast past me out of the bends. Id like a little more punch out of the corners, hence the thought of going down one on the front. It appears it would give me +6.3% on acceleration, but -6.3% on top end. Since the bike cant get to the top end before the end of the straights,m I don't think Ill miss that loss, and the acceleration gain will allow me to get there quicker.

I'm also either going to have to mod the fairing lowers, or leave them off. After wearing a hole in them leaning over, i fitted replaceable slef lube nylon sliders, and wore them too, so I'm thinking off cutting the lowers and fastening them somewhere higher up the machine, but Ill lose the edge return at the bottom of the fairing.

Any thoughts anyone?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Down one tooth on the front sprocket
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2019, 10:40:00 am »
go one tooth lower, or just change down an extra cog ready for the exit of the bend and maintain the economy and relaxed riding when you are not on the track?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2019, 11:00:19 am »
As per the title. Thinking of going down one on the front. I moved up to inters last year on the track, and I rode faster as a result. while the fazer has very decent braking and allows me to brake
Any thoughts anyone?
Never been on a track so don't know but are you on the track with other 600's because it wont matter how you gear it you will never out drag the bigger bikes IMO. And wont you just loose time dancing on the gear shift.
I understood track days to be about your own enjoyment and maybe improving your own riding and not racing the other bikes.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2019, 06:42:21 pm »
go one tooth lower, or just change down an extra cog ready for the exit of the bend and maintain the economy and relaxed riding when you are not on the track?

Trying to get down into first is a no no, the change down is far too cluncky, always has been

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2019, 06:54:52 pm »
As per the title. Thinking of going down one on the front. I moved up to inters last year on the track, and I rode faster as a result. while the fazer has very decent braking and allows me to brake
Any thoughts anyone?
Never been on a track so don't know but are you on the track with other 600's because it wont matter how you gear it you will never out drag the bigger bikes IMO. And wont you just loose time dancing on the gear shift.
I understood track days to be about your own enjoyment and maybe improving your own riding and not racing the other bikes.

All sizes, mostly out and out sporties, track bikes, race bikes, very few road bikes, maybe not even a handful. The garages are full of tyre warmers/generators/tool trolleys. It used to make me feel out of place, inferior, but now I dont give a toss, I just go out to enjoy myself, Im not racing anyone other than myself. As my technique (hopefully) improves and I become more consistent and confident in inters as I was in novice. I know I never going to out drag the big boys, I just want to keep with the flow a little better

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2019, 11:55:49 pm »
I think it's human nature to want to be better than the next man in a lot of things,but to go on track days and be content to have riders pass you and not try to repass or at least follow them until you can what's the point? you don't pay your money to just to go around quicker than you could on the road, if you were to ask any track day rider whether it be novice or expert if the whole point of it all was to be one of the quickest out there I'll bet 99.9 % would agree.Happy to be passed? NO WAY!!! :'(
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2019, 11:44:09 pm »
Further to that,apart from someone who just wants to do a track day to strike it off their "bucket list"  genuine track day merchants on here like Agricola etc,the commitment involved,i.e.getting there,money,risking binning their pride and joy and if the worse happens a stay in hospital and a bill for repairs,they're not doing that for the craic,IMO it's one step down from actually racing,and we all know how unbelievably expensive that game is now,I only just managed to race in the 70's/80's and I wasn't married!!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2019, 10:13:37 am »
I have thought about doing a track day, but think its a bit expensive and now after reading coffee's comments it has completely put me off. I don't include agricola in this but it just seems like a load of hot -heads with road rage issues - tyre warmers/generators/tool trolleys,  being looked down upon by "mostly out and out sporties, track bikes, race bikes", very few road bikes,raced. It all sounds very "clicky"to me. Isn't there any trackdays for road bikes only.   

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2019, 10:32:10 am »
Further to that,apart from someone who just wants to do a track day to strike it off their "bucket list"  genuine track day merchants on here like Agricola etc,the commitment involved,i.e.getting there,money,risking binning their pride and joy and if the worse happens a stay in hospital and a bill for repairs,they're not doing that for the craic,IMO it's one step down from actually racing,and we all know how unbelievably expensive that game is now,I only just managed to race in the 70's/80's and I wasn't married!!!

Track day merchant? Dunno about that. Juts an old bloke havin fun more like lol. I dont have a trailer or van, so always go to my local track at Donington and ride the bike there and back. If you break down the cost, it doesnt appear so bad, 50 to 60 laps on an average day, around 120+ miles. Eveyone is going the same direction, no one to pull out front of you, no potholes, lovely smooth tarmac. It is my only bike, so that is a consideration. Its just the thrill of it, and its the safest place to ride your bike quickly over a sustained period.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2019, 10:47:02 am »
I have thought about doing a track day, but think its a bit expensive and now after reading coffee's comments it has completely put me off. I don't include agricola in this but it just seems like a load of hot -heads with road rage issues - tyre warmers/generators/tool trolleys,  being looked down upon by "mostly out and out sporties, track bikes, race bikes", very few road bikes,raced. It all sounds very "clicky"to me. Isn't there any trackdays for road bikes only.

Don't be put off. There not all hot heads. Some give you a right chuckle. Like the bloke who binned his Panigale on the second of the sighting laps a couple of years ago. Or the chap who failed to spot the yellow flags waving and continued to overtake me and everyone else and ran straight into a dropped bike. The track bikes/racers will be in the advanced/inters sections. I didn't say looked down, it was me feeling uncomfortable when surrounded by the equipment that the racers/addicts bring to support their day. It doesn't bother me a toss now, not clicky at all. There are Road Bike Only days too, always do them at Donington, lovely mix of bikes, I wish there were more of them, most of the bikes are ridden to the track.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 December 2019, 07:03:30 pm »
I certainly didn't mean to put anyone off doing a trackday and perhaps "track day merchant" was the wrong expression but I'm going solely from my experience of going to quite a few with a friend of mine at Mallory,Cadwell and Donington and without exception the lads are definately going for it with each other.Maybe at an open paddock or a more organised event like Ron Haslams it's different,I wouldn't know,and some track days are solely for road bikes and demonstration days which I would have thought were great for enjoying the chance to really give your bike it's head without worrying about speed limits,oncoming traffic etc.but IMO track days in general are in most riders eyes the chance to see how quick you really are. ;)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2019, 08:27:21 pm »

Theres always someone quicker. In my case, most of em lol.

Anyhow, back to my problem. You can see on the photo, that the fairing is dragging on the deck, hence me fitting sliders to the fairing both sides. Trouble is, when Im on the sliders, the sliders act as a pivot and take the weight off the bike and I have lost grip at the rear as a result, causing a moment or two. I could run with them off, but Id really like to keep them on. Im thinking cut these to suit and look for another second hand set for everyday riding

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2020, 04:48:36 pm »
There's always the ones who no matter what are going to make it,before he got spotted[ironically at aCadwell track day] Steve Plater used to go on Cadwell track days just to see if anyone was quicker! don't know what happened if Roger Marshall,Ron Haslam,etc were there and seen this kid flying around :eek  or maybe that's how he got his break. Senior TT winner within a few years WOW.!!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2020, 07:44:08 pm »
Like in all sports, some people are naturally gifted and some have to work bloody hard to get there to make up for the lack of natural talent. Classic example, although not sport, my two daughters. One slogged hard at school to get the exam results she required, the other did jack shit and still got the results she wanted. Both now run their own companys

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 January 2020, 06:19:24 pm »
A proud Dad.  :thumbup

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 January 2020, 08:35:25 pm »
Love em to bits

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2020, 05:45:56 pm »
Am I correct in the assumption that the speedo picks up from the engine, hence I will have to give some thought as to how to indicate the correct speed on the roads?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2020, 06:02:33 pm »
Am I correct in the assumption that the speedo picks up from the engine, hence I will have to give some thought as to how to indicate the correct speed on the roads?
FZS600 its the front wheel - speedo sensor at the spindle

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2020, 08:12:02 pm »
Its the FZ6 S2 model, 2009. Thers a speed sensor located on the top of the crankcase adjacent to the starter motor, and having had a look at the electrical schematic, its connected to the ECU, crankshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, and the air intake pressure sensor. I cnat really make out any connection to either front or rear wheels

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2020, 09:32:44 pm »
A HealTech SpeedoHealer would sort out the problem, but not cheap at around £85.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 January 2020, 07:57:29 pm »
Given the 6.3% loss of speed for the same revs, the calculator gives me 28.11mph at an indicated 30mph, 37.48mph at an indicated 40mph, and so on. In reality, on the roads, I shouldnt really have to worry about speed cameras, more like holding traffic up

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2020, 02:32:29 pm »
New front sprocket on, thorough wash and dry, cover up the front wheels etc, and spray ACF50. Last night, in the garage and cut the fairings down so that they don't drag the tarmac and try to lift the rear wheel off the deck. The look is going to have to grow on me, not sure if i've done the best thing, but hey ho

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 February 2020, 01:43:55 am »
I think they look sound,and anyway they're doing a job so it don't really matter. ;)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #23 on: 02 February 2020, 07:50:32 am »
As per the title. Thinking of going down one on the front. I moved up to inters last year on the track, and I rode faster as a result. while the fazer has very decent braking and allows me to brake later and harder than others in the group, those same bikes simply blast past me out of the bends. Id like a little more punch out of the corners, hence the thought of going down one on the front. It appears it would give me +6.3% on acceleration, but -6.3% on top end. Since the bike cant get to the top end before the end of the straights,m I don't think Ill miss that loss, and the acceleration gain will allow me to get there quicker.

I'm also either going to have to mod the fairing lowers, or leave them off. After wearing a hole in them leaning over, i fitted replaceable slef lube nylon sliders, and wore them too, so I'm thinking off cutting the lowers and fastening them somewhere higher up the machine, but Ill lose the edge return at the bottom of the fairing.

Any thoughts anyone?

Lower gearing makes it more convenient for in-city traffic. Less often being necessary to shift into the 1st gear. I like it.
Having said that, the front sprocket is small enough already. Good option could be adding a larger rear one. Larger sprockets seem to last a bit longer.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 February 2020, 08:30:37 pm »
might you get a problem with chain length then though? going up on the rear.