Date: 24-04-24  Time: 16:19 pm

Author Topic: Oil lamp comes on when running :(  (Read 4020 times)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Oil lamp comes on when running :(
« on: 24 January 2012, 04:25:20 pm »
mmm wont press spell chech again as it deleted all the post!!
Anyway....Went out today to start bike up (2004 Fazer 1000 no mods save larger screen) and all the warning lamps went out after bike has started. Left bike to idle for a few mins, came back and the oil lamp was on. Gave it a little more revs to see if it would go out but no it stayed on :( Stopped bike and restarted lamps all went off as excpected and this time the oil lamp didn't come back on. This is the second time I have had this happen, the first time I went for a ride anyway and the bike behaved as it should, but as it happenbed again I turned it off and put it back in the shed. The level is fine, near the top of the sight glass. It has been cold and wet here so I have not been out for just over a week, but I have left the bike for much longer than that with no such problems before, any ideas?
Also noticed a strange electrical sounding noise coming from the front of the engine area when I turned the ign on but didn't start the bike, not the usual whirring and clicking sound that dies away which I believe to be the exup sorting itself out, but maybe wrong - I usually wait for this to stop before starting......????
Cheers
P

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Oil lamp comes on when running :(
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2012, 05:03:22 pm »
these bikes need to have the oil always on the high level or the oil light comes on .i,m sure its nothiung to worry about it happens all the time on these bikes.just top oil right to the max and should be ok
cheers
bash

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2012, 05:08:37 pm »
What Bash said about oil level. :)  You also said level is near top of sight glass which is good. 

Monitor over the next few rides but don't lose any sleep over it for now.  A bit of cold, a bit of damp ... who knows? :)

Strange electrical noise is most likely a bit of EXUP servo 'fizz-buzz'.  Again, now't to worry over so long as it's working.

moterhome50

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2012, 05:47:31 pm »
handbook says light may come on if bike is on aslop

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2012, 06:14:55 pm »
Well that's a weight off!!
Cheers chaps,  I was half expecting "OMG your motor is on the way out mate, that'll be a total strip down before you even think of starting it again" nice to know its one of those FZS things "They all do that sir", especially as in the last 7 and half years she's been utterly reliable, sample "conversation" with bike - pootle around the country lanes you say, oh OK then and then a 2000 mile trip round France yeah that'll do nicely!
Last trip was to the Milan Bike Show via Monte Carlo (my neighbours live there in a tithe flat, lucky sods!!)
PS the Milan show is bloody huge, 5 halls, loads of new bikes and the pole dancing girls right next to the Triumph stand weren't too bad either ;)

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2012, 09:49:18 pm »
Strange electrical noise with ignition on without starting is the exup servo doing it's check, and if your rev counter does not move all is correct.

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2012, 07:26:06 pm »
Ticking noise is also made by the fuel pump filling the carbs up, especially after being stood for more than a few days.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2012, 10:09:31 pm »
Mine did the exact same thing on Monday when I started it for the 1st time since before Christmas. I too shat myself a teeny bit but it went out on the 2nd start up & level is fine so I left it running for a few minutes & all seemed fine so I went for a 50 mile blast just to be sure.  :) I think my fuel pump was a bit reluctant too as the noise it made was slightly strange but all is back to normal now. I am blaming the very cold weather.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2012, 07:27:05 am »
it is an oil level warning light ...not an oil PRESSURE warning light.

it does give the sphincter a turn when it comes on, but should go out with a top up. Dont overfill past the top marker on the sight glass though...the warning light may be faulty. Overfilling the oil is harmful.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2012, 09:09:13 am »
According to the manual the oil level should be checked with a warm engine after allowing a couple of minutes for the level to settle. If I top the oil up to the top level mark when the engine is warm I usually find when the engine is cold the level is above the mark.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2012, 09:13:33 am »
. Dont overfill past the top marker on the sight glass though...the warning light may be faulty. Overfilling the oil is harmful.

That's odd. If I fill mine to exactly level with the top marker it's a certainty that the oil light will come on, usually as I ride up the long hill away from my home. I always have to add only just enough oil so that the level is right at the top of the window -which keeps it happy.

pinkbikerfzs1

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2012, 04:24:13 pm »
Never had my oil light come on whilst engine running, and , yes it does work, also I find that if I fill the engine above halfway between level marks, the clutch drags terribly, causing a loud clunk when engaging first, halfway and all is smooth.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2012, 06:04:20 pm »
Seems to me after reading all the replies that almost each fazer is slightly different in its oil lamp switch point. For the past 7 years I filled to the top mark and all was well. After a run all seemed well, but I fear I won't be taking the bike out for a while yet, it has below zero for the last 6 days and reached -11 overnight. The ice under the snow is a real bugger so no riding yet!!
Any point in starting the bike up and leaving it running for say 10 mins or just leave well alone until the roads have cleared and I can go for an actual ride?
Cheers for all the replies :)
P

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2012, 12:48:36 am »
Run it for 5 minutes mate, if nothing else it will get some fresh fuel in to the carb's & evaporate any condomsation from your exhaust.  :D

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2012, 06:45:27 am »
evaporate any condomsation from your exhaust.
I love my fazer - but not that much  :eek

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2012, 01:21:20 pm »
Run it for 5 minutes mate, if nothing else it will get some fresh fuel in to the carb's & evaporate any condomsation from your exhaust.  :D

Er...sarcasm?
The 'fresh' fuel in the carbs will actually be just as fresh as the stuff that just flew out of the float bowls and running it without riding it is in fact a surefire recipe for filling the zorst and crankcases with condensation.
 There's no point in starting a bike up and running it every now and again, it doesn't do anything of benefit, it just increases the chances of corrosion.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2012, 01:36:34 pm »
You have just reminded me why I don't bother posting much on here phil. Maybe when you have removed, stripped & cleaned out as many carbs as I have you will change your mind about that.. .  maybe.  :rolleyes

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 February 2012, 04:31:09 pm »
You have just reminded me why I don't bother posting much on here phil. Maybe when you have removed, stripped & cleaned out as many carbs as I have you will change your mind about that.. .  maybe.  :rolleyes

The answer is to drain the carbs if you're leaving it that long between starts. As I said the 'fresh' fuel you're talking about is still as old as the stuff in the carb bowls remember, so I don't see how your method solves the problem of fuel going off.  :rolleyes

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2012, 11:52:17 pm »
A few 10's of cc's of fuel in the carbs will evaporate quicker than a few litres or gallons in the tank, leaving behind a higher concentration of the gunky green additives that they add. You are of course correct in saying that starting the bike for a brief period without getting everything thoroughly warm isn't that great an idea. Burning petrol produces CO2, harmless for an engine and H2O (water) which isn't, it will sit in the exhaust, may get in the oil, neither of which is good. Start the bike when you're gonna ride it. Just my 2p...