Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:31 pm

Author Topic: Greasing my Speedo Drive Help.  (Read 6071 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Greasing my Speedo Drive Help.
« on: 22 December 2018, 10:55:51 am »

I will be re greasing my 20 year old (21k miles) speedo drive grease but which grease out of these two would be best.

Also - stupid question time with the front wheel out is the balance transferred to the back or do I have to chock the front up.is it necessary to take off the brake calipers or is that just to make it easier - especially when lining up to put back.Also how much grease do I use - a smear or pack it out or in between. 
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 10:59:00 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Greasing my Speedo Drive Help.
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2018, 11:11:39 am »

Can’t see the greases you’re choosing between. I use a light moly and go for the in-between quantity: generous but not packed solid.
Even with the front wheel out the centre of gravity is forward of the centrestand so you'll either need to support the front or stick something heavy on the pillion seat.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2018, 11:17:03 am »
I just chucked a load of Wilko multi purpose grease in mine 8000 miles ago. Haven't taken it off since, but seems to have worked fine.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2018, 11:20:08 am »
Multi purpose lithium grease, easier to remove calipers better to pay attention that the rota is correctly positioned before doing up axle so not to break lugs then refit calipers.
Pack with grease as said helps to hold rota in the correct place.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 01:05:38 pm by bandit »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2018, 11:55:07 am »
Thanks everyone for the tips.I have noticed that sometimes if you are on a phone then the pictures do not show. I use the Additional options add attachment but did a copy and paste this time.Here it is again but via additional options. Can you see it now

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2018, 11:57:03 am »
How heavy on the back seat are we talking - 5 ltr water ?Where is the best place to support the front if I do that instead.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2018, 12:04:26 pm »
Presumably if you use the racing grease the speedo reads faster  :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2018, 12:21:45 pm »
How heavy on the back seat are we talking - 5 ltr water ?Where is the best place to support the front if I do that instead.

Always chock the bike under the headers as they turn under the bike I made up a wooden chock for the job. (Great for any maintenance)

Water container or other weight balanced on the rear seat is not safe, if it get knocked and slides off on the plastic seat cover, with front wheel out you will end up with the bike on the floor in a mess as the centre stand will slam up as the bike falls forward (Like rolling bike off the centre stand)

Pic of my chock, just gently lift the bike under the front mud guard and push the chock under the headers with your foot
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 12:26:37 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2018, 12:35:40 pm »
Presumably if you use the racing grease the speedo reads faster  :)

Oh yeah!  :rolleyes :lol

I personally would not use anything racing (lube wise) on a road bike, race machines get striped and rebuilt on a regular basis and are likely to have their oil changed and lube maintenance done every couple of races.
These racing lubes may be very good at lubing but may not be designed for the longer term maintenance of a road bike, that probably/possibly may only get oil and lube/grease maintenance once a year.

I use Castrol HMP (High Melting Point) grease for most things, it does not melt at lower temperatures and therefore stays in place better, also less mess. 

Opinion only, there is nothing factual about my waffling
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 12:36:43 pm by tommyardin »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2018, 12:36:58 pm »
Thanks for the chock help. I wasn't actually going to use a 5 ltr container - that was just a weight reference. I have some lead shooting sack things that I would use that I would take the seat off and sit in there.I think I will make a chock and use the lead and see what I need to do to balance before I remove the chock.For those that can not see the grease picture I have

Silkolene Pro RG2 or CV lith -moly grease
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 12:38:29 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2018, 12:42:40 pm »
Interesting waffle about the racing grease but I am thinking that the Pro RG2 "racing" has more to do with marketing than actual PRO racing use.Also lets say you are right about the strip downs, but the extreme stresses that the grease go's through would be equal to years of street riding (perhaps)   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2018, 12:44:46 pm »

These racing lubes may be very good at lubing but may not be designed for the longer term maintenance of a road bike, that probably/possibly may only get oil and lube/grease maintenance once a year.
:eek :eek Try 20 years  :eek I have had a few new front tyres and do not know if the fitters ever added any grease --- I doubt it. 

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2018, 02:22:27 pm »

Yes, pic is now visible, I'd use the one on the right.
I do prefer to chock the front as it's more stable, but often use an old car battery on the pillion seat as well to reduce the stress on the downpipes.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2018, 03:49:57 pm »
I think that is the grease i use on the right, you can use the other one for your hair  :smokin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 December 2018, 05:27:25 pm »
The manual says Apply lightweight lithium-soap base grease

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 December 2018, 06:08:50 pm »

The bike is saying "ANYTHING....PLEASE!!!"  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 December 2018, 06:32:06 pm »

The bike is saying "ANYTHING....PLEASE!!!"  :lol

K Y Jelly is one of the best lubes, I find it helps reduce friction and does not make a mess, its water soluble and does not mark clothing or other fabrics it may come into contact with.  :rolleyes

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 December 2018, 12:43:48 pm »
Going to go with chocks under headers and a weight on the back to take the the pressure off.Removing the calipers and stringing up to take the weight off the joints. (not that the wheel fitters bother).
 Some things I have googled

Silkolene Pro RG2 Grease
An advanced, high melting point, racing grease. multi-functional, high performance grease with exceptional heat resisting and waterproofing properties. It has outstanding water repellence, excellent corrosion inhibition properties and high resistance to water wash-off. It is ideal for bearing and chassis lubrication and conditions of water impact.
PRO RG2 is designed to meet the stringent requirements of competition use, including off-road, and stays in place, even under high temperatures created in competition use.
This high cling formula is ideal for protecting wheel bearings, universal joints, suspension linkages and seals under the most testing conditions.
Use for wheel bearing, rose joint, marine applications and all general automotive greasing.

MOLY EP LITHIUM GREASE
 is a smooth textured high melting point, water resistant lithium base grease fortified with molybdenum disulfide (moly) to reduce wear by maintaining lubrication under conditions of high friction and shock loads.

Moly Grease
Moly grease is generally used for high pressure metal sliding against metal situations.
Greases containing moly are recommended for roller bearings subjected to very heavy loads and shock loading, especially in slow, or oscillating motion such as found in universal joints and CV joints.

If such greases are used in high-speed bearings, problems can be experienced with roller "skidding" where the bearing roller fails to rotate through the full 360 degrees due to reduced friction. As a result, the roller develops flat spots, and its service life is reduced.
 In addition, CV joint/Moly grease is often manufactured to NLGI Grade 1 and would therefore not be suitable for automotive wheel bearings.

Multi-purpose Lithium-based Grease
Lithium grease is used in bearings where there are rollers, or balls under the load.
Grease made with lithium soap (lithium grease) sticks particularly well to metal, is non-corrosive, can be used under heavy loads, and has good temperature tolerance. With its resistance to moisture, it is commonly used as lubricant in household products, such as electric garage doors, as well as in automotive applications, such as Constant Velocity (CV) Joints.

« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 12:46:09 pm by fazersharp »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 December 2018, 02:13:32 pm »
Going to go with chocks under headers and a weight on the back to take the the pressure off.Removing the calipers and stringing up to take the weight off the joints. (not that the wheel fitters bother).
 Some things I have googled

Silkolene Pro RG2 Grease
An advanced, high melting point, racing grease. multi-functional, high performance grease with exceptional heat resisting and waterproofing properties. It has outstanding water repellence, excellent corrosion inhibition properties and high resistance to water wash-off. It is ideal for bearing and chassis lubrication and conditions of water impact.
PRO RG2 is designed to meet the stringent requirements of competition use, including off-road, and stays in place, even under high temperatures created in competition use.
This high cling formula is ideal for protecting wheel bearings, universal joints, suspension linkages and seals under the most testing conditions.
Use for wheel bearing, rose joint, marine applications and all general automotive greasing.

MOLY EP LITHIUM GREASE
 is a smooth textured high melting point, water resistant lithium base grease fortified with molybdenum disulfide (moly) to reduce wear by maintaining lubrication under conditions of high friction and shock loads.

Moly Grease
Moly grease is generally used for high pressure metal sliding against metal situations.
Greases containing moly are recommended for roller bearings subjected to very heavy loads and shock loading, especially in slow, or oscillating motion such as found in universal joints and CV joints.

If such greases are used in high-speed bearings, problems can be experienced with roller "skidding" where the bearing roller fails to rotate through the full 360 degrees due to reduced friction. As a result, the roller develops flat spots, and its service life is reduced.
 In addition, CV joint/Moly grease is often manufactured to NLGI Grade 1 and would therefore not be suitable for automotive wheel bearings.

Multi-purpose Lithium-based Grease
Lithium grease is used in bearings where there are rollers, or balls under the load.
Grease made with lithium soap (lithium grease) sticks particularly well to metal, is non-corrosive, can be used under heavy loads, and has good temperature tolerance. With its resistance to moisture, it is commonly used as lubricant in household products, such as electric garage doors, as well as in automotive applications, such as Constant Velocity (CV) Joints.

Cheers for that Sharpie,

Just ordered some Silkolene Pro RG2 Grease from the Bay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silkolene-Pro-RG2-Grease-500ml/370768728236?epid=1325304023&hash=item565389d0ac:g:d80AAOSw3YJZP5fc:rk:9:pf:0

Best price I could find.
« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 02:14:59 pm by tommyardin »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 December 2018, 02:24:20 pm »
I still don't know which one to use, I like the RG2 one because it looks like strawberry jam. The Lith-moly one is dark grey and looks dirty.
Interesting though about using Moly grease on high speed bearings being too slippery meaning the rolling bearing does not rotate but slips across the surface causing a flat sopt.
Also I read that when talking about "high speed" its something like 10,000 rmp -dont think even Tommy's Fazer wheel bearings go that fast  :lol

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 December 2018, 03:11:31 pm »
I would use Lithium multi-purpose grease as used on the wheel bearings/axle as Yamaha advise as the bearings/rota are connected & mixing two different types may affect the performance of both if mixed, unless you strip the wheel down to clean the bearings out then use just one type only.   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 December 2018, 03:13:39 pm »
I still don't know which one to use, I like the RG2 one because it looks like strawberry jam. The Lith-moly one is dark grey and looks dirty.
Interesting though about using Moly grease on high speed bearings being too slippery meaning the rolling bearing does not rotate but slips across the surface causing a flat sopt.
Also I read that when talking about "high speed" its something like 10,000 rmp -dont think even Tommy's Fazer wheel bearings go that fast  :lol

Dark and dirty is the way to go.  :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 December 2018, 05:44:31 pm »
I would use Lithium multi-purpose grease as used on the wheel bearings/axle as Yamaha advise as the bearings/rota are connected & mixing two different types may affect the performance of both if mixed, unless you strip the wheel down to clean the bearings out then use just one type only.   
But I don't have plain Lithium grease as the one I have got is Lith-moly.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 December 2018, 06:12:09 pm »
It says use lithium based grease not lithium grease so what you have should do fine. I used this stuff just because that's all I had and there was no problems

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 December 2018, 06:23:01 pm »
It says use lithium based grease not lithium grease so what you have should do fine. I used this stuff just because that's all I had and there was no problems

So yours says Moly grease/ lithium based and mine says Lithium- moly grease, sounds the same but mine is also calling itself CV -constant velocity grease.
I know it probably does not matter that much what I put in there.