Date: 27-04-24  Time: 05:47 am

Author Topic: Headlights FZS  (Read 1277 times)

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Headlights FZS
« on: 29 May 2014, 07:17:02 pm »
Hi folks, Are there any helpfull sparkies that can advise please? I have FZS 400 headlights on my 600 boxeye and both dip beams come on together. When going full beam all 4 filaments are on. The only worry is the loading on the wiring. Can anyone help in a wiring diagram or suggestions as to how to modify the wiring so that both dip are on together and both full beam are on together?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Headlights FZS
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2014, 08:12:31 pm »
It's not only the wiring and switchgear which will be stressed by the current with all four filaments lit, the reflectors will suffer from the excess heat.
Check the downloads section for the manual which includes the circuit diagram towards the end.
This thread:
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=181.0
gives the additional information you need.

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2014, 09:01:03 pm »
Fazerider I thank you for that info. The FZS 400 headlight has 2 H4 bulbs which at the moment are linked across from bulb to bulb so I have a bit of sorting to do  ;) . I think I may need a 400 wiring diagram to sort this. it must be do-able with a bit of thinking out the box.  Thanks again.   

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2014, 09:32:32 pm »

The link below might be useful to you. Half way down the first page is a wiring diagram I did some time ago. It's for fitting the Foxeye headlamp with two dips and two main beams to a boxeye, but that sounds just the same as what you are trying to do. i.e two H4 bulbs. The Foxeye wiring diagram does it in a different way and uses different relays for the same result, but would mean more complicated changes to the main wiring harness on a boxeye model.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,5252.0.html

The thread that Fazerider gave is useful in that it shows how to get the feed for the dip relay, but it doesn't put the left dip out when you go to main beam. That's because on the standard boxeye left dip is on all the time and that mod is just brinking the right dip into play.
Hope that helps but just ask if the wiring diagram doesn't make it clear.

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2014, 09:47:58 pm »
Hi Limax2, That's a great help also. you are correct in your assumption in being 2 dip and 2 full as foxeye set up. Now round to Maplins (need a trade account the gear I get from there) :lol   Thanks all, need a few more guitar jobs  ;)

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2014, 07:09:41 pm »
Hi all. big thanks to Limax ;) ;)   Job done using Limax's wiring diagram. All good and working. Had a bit of an ooops moment with main beam as someone had been on the headlight mod previously. No earth on the main side?? sorted with an earth wire. lights are brilliant now and it also passed the mot with the lights as they were ie dip and main all on together.
 Thanks all :)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2014, 09:09:24 pm »
Always a pleasure to be of service. Glad it worked o.k. for you  :D