savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Clocks
« on: 04 April 2014, 08:42:48 pm »
Hi folks,
 some may know my problem with the speedo, well Yam dealer local says clock face has been changed thereby odo and trip are KPH but speedo is roughly ok as determined also by satnav.
 Can anyone advise whether 2001 on clocks (2 button type) are direct fit?
 Cheers

Barrie

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Clocks
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2014, 07:47:40 pm »
 To continue on this theme I now think the bike has been imported so can understand the discrepancy although on the log book (V5) it says
 'Declared new in GB by independent importer'
 I am just wondering that if, as we know the odo is digital, then will the mileage be stored on the speedo head unit or in the ECU?
 The thought is that if I buy a used one then will the mileage transfer with the clocks?
 Has anyone any knowledge of this please.

Thanks Barrie

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2014, 07:52:12 pm »
Mileage stays on the clocks mate

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2014, 08:28:46 pm »
Bugger !!!!!!!!   More searching!!   
Thanks for that Wezdavo

Barrie

TonyW

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2014, 03:54:57 am »
My 1999 Fazer has a late two button clock set fitted into a single button casing. Plugs straight in no mods to the wiring. All works fine, just had to drill a hole where the second button would be so I can set the time etc.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2014, 07:42:52 am »
Why change it? Why not make up some mph marks instead? It sounds like you're trying to give yourself a headache here...
The Deef's apprentice

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2014, 08:09:02 am »
My 1999 Fazer has a late two button clock set fitted into a single button casing. Plugs straight in no mods to the wiring. All works fine, just had to drill a hole where the second button would be so I can set the time etc.

Hi Tony.  That was the answer I was looking for :)

Why change it? Why not make up some mph marks instead? It sounds like you're trying to give yourself a headache here...

Hi Christo. The speedo is in mph as I think someone on import changed the clock face already, it's just mileage! I'm clocking approx 1/3 more kph than mph LOL

Cheers all 
Barrie

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2014, 09:22:22 am »
Savvy, theres 1.6Km to a mile :pokefun

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2014, 09:42:25 am »
Hi, My old brain still works in imperial  :D    To me 1.6 is near enough to 1.5   still can't get round things like the weather when they say 50mm of rain when we are in inches!!  that's 2 inches to us but that's for another day   :lol
 I suppose I'm not really bothered about the mileage but just prefer things right, another old age thing I suppose  :lol

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2014, 07:32:03 pm »
Well I have been on to Yamaha UK and they tell me that my bike was for the German Market but imported here as new and registered new. That is how the odo reads in Kph, Oh well, at least I have the proof that the mileage is really not what is on the clock.

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2014, 09:18:11 pm »
My 96 thundercat was a spanish import and came with kmh clocks.. They had to go rather than the sticker thing on dial face.. Never been keen goin that route..
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2014, 09:57:53 pm »
My 96 thundercat was a spanish import and came with kmh clocks.. They had to go rather than the sticker thing on dial face.. Never been keen goin that route..

Hi, How did you go on with mileage? Did you get a similar mileage odo to show same was on there or change it and note mileage and inform next owner? Just wondering as really mileage is only roughly 2/3 of what is showing on the clock.

Thanks
 Barrie

jenic

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2014, 10:09:51 pm »

Hi, How did you go on with mileage? Did you get a similar mileage odo to show same was on there or change it and note mileage and inform next owner? Just wondering as really mileage is only roughly 2/3 of what is showing on the clock.

Thanks
 Barrie

I changed mine from KM to Miles clocks too, I just made up a document with the details of the old clocks mileage in KM and converted to Miles, the new clocks mileage, and the adjustment needed to make the new clocks read the same and stuck it in with the service history. I've also kept the old clocks, KM clocks are pretty much worthless and it backs up my story a little more than just a home made document.

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2014, 10:11:23 pm »
As the equivalent speedo markings were in identical place on both clocks I just swapped the head unit... Thundercat is an actual cable speedo and not wired from the front wheel.. I took it that the gearing at speedo end would be altered according to miles n not km's.. Dont remember it being significantly innacurate..

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2014, 10:19:08 pm »
Thundercat was also analogue mileage counter and not lcd as on the fazer..

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2014, 08:06:36 am »
Thanks both for that info. due for MOT this time next month so could be a good time. Really like the bike and don't see me getting rid so mileage not that much of an issue.
 Cheers
 Barrie