Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:02 pm

Author Topic: Speedo sensor  (Read 1683 times)

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Speedo sensor
« on: 31 March 2014, 02:53:56 pm »
 Can any one advise please? I went for a bimble today to settle in some new tyres and worked a route on Google of 48m. when I got back speedo trip read 73m.
  Is there a different sensor for kmh and mph? Speedo is definitely showing mph with kph inside ring. One of the lugs is broken on the sensor but cannot see that making such a difference.
 Tyres are correct size ie 110/70/17 brand new so in effect will give more accurate reading than worn ones.

Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks
 Barrie

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo sensor
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2014, 04:58:23 pm »
Could be that someone replaced the dials to show MPH etc but the clocks still record in kilometres - 48 miles is approximately 77km so not far off of the 73 figure that you received

I think there is a code under the seat that may enlighten you to where the vehicle originated from but I have hard information on what to look for, sorry :( I'm sure someone will be along to provide a better description :P

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2014, 06:45:38 pm »
Dead eye.
 That was my thought also. I could do with finding somewhere to find part numbers to compare.
 I could do with getting hold of another speedo assy to try. Money has gone as I have just replaced my tyres and sent off for a Fazer400 headlight unit to upgrade with.
 Cheers for the reply.

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2014, 09:56:44 pm »
New speedo sensor is £15 from Fowlers. I would replace that & see if that fixes it. Put plenty of grease in there.

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2014, 10:03:55 pm »
Also just remembered from a previous thread, check the routing on the wire as it may be damaged and shorting out which might cause some wacky readings.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2014, 06:36:49 pm »
Note that the £15 part is only the rotor - the actual sensor is £100+

Easy enough to check the rotor by removing the front wheel - but you are getting a correct speed so I doubt that is the problem :)

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2014, 06:56:09 pm »
Hi Dead Eye.
 Yep the speedo seems to read correct or at least I seemed to be traveling along at the same rate as other traffic. When I had the wheels off for the tyres and bearings,one of the lugs was broken but other was ok. All went back together correct and speedo read ok ish as far as I could tell but maybe someone changed the speedo face? Would that still read correct ? I don't know.
 Been reading on't tinternet and lots seem to say hold the SELECT button for 3 seconds and it swaps between MPH and KPH. Tried that but no luck so far and will try with ign on or off.
 Maybe the best way is get a MPH speedo and check it out.

Cheers  :)
Barrie

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2014, 09:50:39 pm »
If the face has been changed it would still be reasonably accurate - its entirely possible that they managed to get hold of a stock Fazer MPH face?

It may be worth keeping an eye on your odometer as well - this would be in KM instead of Miles as well as the Trip.

I can't say I've heard anything about holding the SELECT to change the setting. Most replace the clocks and attempt to find a set with a similar mileage. I think there was some mention of converting the pulse frequency but that wouldn't be especially helpful for any existing mileage...

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2014, 07:44:49 am »
Hi,
 My t[size=78%]hinking about the odometer also. It reads 55000 odd, can't remember exactly. I am going to check the mot;s and see if there is a noticeable step.[/size]
[/size][size=78%] Nothing I can do if the latest mot shows a large mileage but not thinking of selling and it is a 1998 bike so not really that important luckily.[/size]
[/size][size=78%] Like I said could do with a clock assy' to swap out. Anyone? must be cheap though as spent a lot lately.[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Barrie[/size]

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2014, 10:09:26 am »
If you want new clocks, I'd suggest either eBay or contacting several breaker yards - that's probably going to be your best bet

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2014, 10:40:04 am »

How do you know that google wasn't telling fibs???

Get on the motorway & do a definitely known distance ie services 5 or 10 miles & compare the results.

All speedos have inaccuracy to a degree but have you tried following a mate in their car, ask them to go a steady 50 mph & compare what your speedo says.

Could eliminate a couple of things.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2014, 02:02:28 pm »
Hi Noggy.
 I was bedding in some new rubber so I thought ' set trip then I know how far I have travelled'  Got half way round and thought 'that's a long way,don't seem right'   carried on thinking should be about 50 ish miles. I know roughly the route distance from previous so checked trip when I got home against putting in way points on google directions. Thats how it all worked out. I reckon the speed is roughly ok from riding with our kid and going off other traffic flow. Just seems odd that mileage works out mph as against kph so that's why I asked the question.
 Not really bothered as going off the odo the bike seems to have done roughly 3500 miles per year so not so bad.

Thanks for the comments. all well thought out.

Barrie