Date: 18-04-24  Time: 13:40 pm

Author Topic: Faulty Lights??????  (Read 1255 times)

drewblez

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Faulty Lights??????
« on: 15 May 2015, 08:03:57 pm »
Hi all,
just a quick question? My bike (1999 Fazer 600) failed its MOT. Failed on both tires, easily fixed as I'm putting on a pair of Maxims, and both the headlight (main and dip) and front left indicator (intermittent problem) not working.
I think the indicator is the switch as it lives out side and I've had to spray it with WD40 in the past. With the headlight I wondered if it was also the switch or might be something to do with the engine swap it had last week? The headlight has never had problems before and the lad that did the engine swap said the clocks did play up at first but settled when he charged the battery, he didn't mention any problem with the headlight.
Now I'm not very good on the tools on my own but will have a go at straight forward things with advice and pointers, I'm a nurse by profession so normally keep my hands clean and fix people.
Anyway any help or advice would be appreciated?
Thanks Drew. :rolleyes
A rolling sausage gathers no gravy!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Faulty Lights??????
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2015, 08:12:53 pm »
Start by checking the connector direct on to the bulbs, then see if the bulb itself hasn't blown or the fuse under the seat,  then there's a connector block underneath the tank, loosen the bolt for the tank under the seat but don't undo it, use this as a hinge, undo the bolt at the top of the tank by the handlebars and gently lift up the tank, don't lift it to fully vertical, just 6 inches or so and support it with a block of wood or similar, there's a black box (not the airplane kind cause they're bright orange/red) lift the lid on the box and check all connector blocks, possibly unplug and spray them with electrical contact cleaner or wd40
« Last Edit: 15 May 2015, 08:16:25 pm by Punkstig »
Some say...

drewblez

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2015, 08:35:48 pm »
thanks, at least that gives me somewhere to start. Think I will go put the battery on charge for now as its just started pissing it down so not going to get much else done! :\

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2015, 08:58:48 pm »
The indicator and headlights problems aren't related. If it's only one indicator, check it's connections, make sure they're sound, the front connectors are in behind the 'dog ears' that hold the mirrors on.
The headlights are as stated above, most of your problems are because it's outside, do you have a cover at all? If not, it's maybe worth investing in some sort of cover.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

drewblez

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2015, 10:16:28 pm »
Cheers,
it had a cover on but got blown over as a result and smashed in an indicator and did some other minor damage so left it off. did only have a side stand at the time but put a center stand on a few weeks ago so might be ok now.
only one problem with your advice is its been street fighter'd so no mirror housing.... :'(
see pic but ignore my son sat on it, its an old pic.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2015, 10:27:05 pm »
Still check the connections as even with a streetfighter, they can become loose with vibration :)
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)