Author Topic: ECU  (Read 6973 times)

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
ECU
« on: 29 August 2012, 01:31:24 pm »
You might have seen my plaintive laments on my FZ6S2 (2009 with 8k miles on the clock) and how corrosion has eaten the pins off my ECU. :rolleyes

I felt that as the ECU is under the tank next to the airbox and out of the general water that failure of said part is a bit premature literally on its third birthday... especially when the initial estimate from the bike shop was £2k and asked Yamaha if they could help with the cost. It did seem an unusual failure as I havent seen it mentioned anywhere else

Well after two weeks they tell me that I only need a new ECU and not the replacement key set and that I can order it from my local dealer- and that is it   :( - hope this information has been of help

perhaps I was a little naive in that I thought that Mr Yamaha might help with say half the cost of the unit or as a gesture of goodwill  or replace it free of charge as it is not a serviceable item- but no

So- I am searching for a 2009 non ABS ECU although I have seen a 'virgin' ECU on Eaby for £180 guaranteed and I am in contact with them. Also seen American ECU's for about $400 but they are not suitable as they dont have an imobiliser. :'(

Not sure what to say to other owners- probably not a good idea to annually take your ECU off the loom and clean the contacts but otherwise how will you know its about to corrode into scrap?

59 going on 57

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: ECU
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2012, 01:47:32 pm »
Hi buddy, just to let you know that I deleted the other post about your ECU as it only had the word "You" in it.
Wasn't sure if you'd missed out "bastid!".
;)

On topic, that's a pile o' pish!
Last time I was on Fleabay there were a few bikes being broken for spares, perhaps mailing the breakers to see if they have one they can remove?

Sounds an expensive fix either way!
:(

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2012, 08:55:26 pm »
Ah - I wondered what happened I started to post and it disappeared  :o

I might be pissed off with Yamaha but dont think I would call them that :D

Borrowing the lads Blackbird for my rideout on Friday... unfortunately his CB1300 is having its shocks fixed as I prefer to ride that- much more comfortable
59 going on 57

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2012, 08:57:09 pm »
Bugger that, go back to your Yamaha dealer and kick up a fuss.  Quote the Sale of Goods Act and use phrases such as Merchantable quality and Durability.  Any claim you have is against the dealer that sold you the bike in the first place but ultimately it is likely that Yamaha UK would foot the bill.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2012, 09:05:02 pm »
Wot rustyrider said. Its not acceptable, for them to charge you for that.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2012, 10:41:10 pm »
I have just looked on Ebay to see what the ECU's look like. Now the breaker who's picture I viewed was selling it for £45, so perhaps if no help from Yamaha is offered that is the answer. But I went into Ebay to look at the ECU because I think that it could be possible to take the ECU apart and replace the pins that have corroded.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2012, 08:27:41 pm »
I have looked at a few ECU's on Ebay and most of them are American and they are not compatible as the American FZ^'s dont have an imobiliser? Why would Yamaha change the design just for them?

Still waiting to hear from the virgin supplier if he has one in stock

Went to the local (50 miles) Yamaha dealer and the new ECU is £480 +VAT so just under £600  :o
59 going on 57

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2012, 08:33:42 pm »
Why are you even bothering to look at eBay or ask the price?  The price is irrelevant, you won't be paying it.  A brand new bike that is rendered virtually scrap with the failure of a major component within 3 years (and naff all miles) is not of merchantable quality, end of.  Simply tell the supplying dealer that you want it repairing free of charge or you will be taking them to court.

Tifa

• ignorant tw*t
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia Tuono + Hornet 900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
One of the best things you can do to avoid premature electrical issues is to open and spray the insides of all connectors with a thin film of  acf50.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2012, 09:18:05 pm »
dolau, please listen to rustyrider  :eek

they will pay this, for a brand new unit, if you push them just a little bit. Threaten court if you have to, there is no way they will let it get that far.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2012, 11:50:08 pm »
Sometimes even the mention of Trading standards will leave them running and hiding in the corner, I would be trying my hand at getting the bike fixed for free.

I remember many years ago my workmates 8 year old Vauxhall Senator  steering column bearings wore out, he went to our local dealer and said he had never heard of this happening before, the complete column was replaced f.o.c. at a cost of £815 to Vauxhall, they said it should not have happened. hope this helps.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2012, 12:50:01 am »
I'd be pushing for a free fix, or at least a discounted price.

If you've bought the bike from a dealer, go through them first (your contract is with them).

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2012, 07:55:34 am »
As AdieR says your first approach should be to supplying dealer. If you have a negative response talk/write to Yamaha UK. Even if they dont pay the full cost of replacement ECU they should meet you AT LEAST half way. In effect you bought a motorcycle that is unusable after 3 years riding.The design of protection for ECU might be acceptable in Arizona but theyre selling bikes throughout Europe where surprise surprise it does get damp! The machine is not of merchantable quality. Please do not pay out for their mistake! :eek

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2012, 09:36:51 pm »
Done all that but Yamaha wont accept any responsibility so the reply about spraying all the connectors with ACF50 is probably a good one- I just wouldnt fancy unplugging my ECU on a regular basis in case I disturb something else

A new ECU is £600 and I dont need the key set Yamaha tell me other than that two fingers and I am on my own- I will remember that when I come to renew as I wont trust the bike now even if it has a new ECU- its taken the gloss off it now- loved the bike- Second Fazer I have owned (had a square eye)

No second hand ones available on Ebay yet and the guy selling 'Virgin' ECU's hasnt come back to say he has one and the bike shop wants my bike out of the way as they have been storing it since the 17th

Honda anyone? My lad has a Blackbird and a CB1300 Rode the Blackbird all Friday so I didnt miss another opportunity in the sunshine and understand big engine bikes now (apart from the stiff neck) and the overtaking opportunities that 1100cc of Honda torque give you... as for the CB1300... well I think I am in love!
59 going on 57

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2012, 10:39:16 pm »
So any thoughts on the idea of repairing it. Have you a photo of the damage corrosion?

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 September 2012, 11:19:52 pm »
Cant repair it so looking for a replacement or scrap the bike and sell it for parts- probably worth more that way

I am into £600 for the ECU plus the time the guy has already spent on diagnostics and trying to sort out the first problem which was the radiator fan not going

59 going on 57

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2012, 12:10:58 am »
Why cant it be repaired, I am under the impression from what you have said that it is the connecting pins that have corroded, I wonder if it is possible to split the ECU and see the pins in full and replace them.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2012, 12:54:28 am »
Sorry to hear Yamaha are being awkward about this.
I seem to recall they were very slow to acknowledge the old sprocket problem with the FZS600, but eventually recognised their reputation would be better served by doing the decent thing. Of course, in that case there was a flood of complaints... if this is a one-off they will probably tough it out assuming it's better to lose a customer than give you a replacement.
Might still be worth a solicitor's letter to them though.

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2012, 01:50:02 pm »
How about Admin sending a copy of this thread to Yamaha customer services?
Surely in today’s financial climate any lost sale is sending a prospective customer to the opposition.
Yamaha spend thousands on advertising yet good customer service is priceless. And how much would it really cost Yamaha to put this right?
Members and visitors on here are influenced by manufacturer’s responses to owner’s problems, so Yamaha take a look at what you are doing.
Or are you so big the little man is not really a concern?
Just my 2 Ps worth.
R

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2012, 05:27:12 pm »
I certainly think you're giving up much too easily on this one. Appreciate we don't know the detail of every conversation you've had with dealer / YamUK, but I wouldn't be accepting it.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 September 2012, 05:32:30 pm »
Park it on the street in front of the dealer with a big sign "Yamaha bikes are shit and don't last 3 years" on it.  As long as it's tax, MOTd and insured there's not a lot they can do about it.s

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2012, 08:16:20 pm »
 :rollin :lol

Nice ideas guys but Yamaha are fast - wont even consider it  :'( . Unless I really have to I am not spending £600 so am waiting for the Ebay guy at £180 just to get the bike back on the road and out of the bike shop where it has laid since the 17th

Gloss has gone off the bike now so I will probably sell it even though it will probably go on for ever now- just cant trust a bike that has failed like that- it isnt the same any more. Nearest thing I have had to a new bike since I was 17 (I am 59 now  :rolleyes )- brought it at 12 months old and to be fair there was a Yamaha guarantee on the bike for two years ... just not three
59 going on 57

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 September 2012, 08:19:36 pm »
Tried CAB?  They might be able to help.  3 years is not a reasonable life span for a bike whether Yamaha say so or not.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 September 2012, 08:31:39 pm »
:agree - once again, fight them!

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 September 2012, 10:03:18 pm »
It's not Yamaha anyway, you need to be threatening the dealer you got it off.  It is them that are responsible under the law and if Yamaha UK won't do anything, the cost comes out of the dealers pocket.  Contact CAB or Trading Standards.

If you were a kid I could perhaps understand it but you're 2 years older than me so should know the difference between what is right and what is taking the piss.