Date: 24-04-24  Time: 09:12 am

Author Topic: Scott Oiler?  (Read 5164 times)

tonyshorey

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Scott Oiler?
« on: 16 June 2013, 05:47:40 pm »
Anyone fitted one to a FZ6? How easy is it and is it worth it?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Oiler?
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2013, 08:58:29 pm »
Fitted scottoilers to every bike I've owned, it's definitely worth it! Pays for itself within your first chain/sprocket change (which now inevitably lasts twice as long :D )
Not fitted one to an fz6 though, can't be that difficult. ::)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2013, 09:29:25 pm »
Anyone fitted one to a FZ6? How easy is it and is it worth it?

I haven't fitted one, but there was one on my FZ6 when I bought it and the OEM chain and sprocket lasted 28,000 miles!

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2013, 09:45:34 pm »
not fitted one to my FZ6 but there's one on the MT-01 I've just got, it's mounted behind the number plate, due to lack of space? but the oil pipe is so long it drips oil onto the rear tyre when it's on the side stand, as the drive is on the R/H side.
I use chain wax on the FZ6 and got 24,000 miles out of the first chain even then it was still Ok for a few thousand more think I used 3 cans of lube on it, so if you only ride when its fine ish? and give it a spray after washing it or being out in the rain and every few hundred miles then I wouldn't fit one.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2013, 09:15:37 am »
I have had one fitted to my last two bikes CBF1000 & Z1000SX they were great. I used to do a lot of long distance touring so they made sense.
I have just got a new FZ6 must have been the last one around in Spain 2010 bike but unregistered. I took it up to my dealers yesterday as they are fitting a few add on's, centre stand, crash bungs , fly screen ,tank pad and supposed to be a Scott Oiler. They have been baulking about it as they say Spain is a hot country and the oil gets thrown all over the tyre. I explained that is down to flow rate and also you can get a high viscosity spec oil for warmer climates. They are telling me I am wasting my money especially as my touring is very limited now. So I have decided against fitting one, also seeing I will have a centre stand will make cleaning and lubricating the chain so much easier. But I do think they are a good bit of kit , that is ONCE YOU GET THE FLOW RATE SORTED OUT. Looking around the FZ6 were to fit the resiviour could be a headache. On my SX it was under the seat and it was a pain topping it up, rule of thumb you should be looking at getting approx. 1000 miles between topups.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2013, 09:47:07 am »
Must fill up the reservoir on mine, try it out. It came on the bike when I got it but I've always used chain spray as I know what's going on and it keeps the bike chain well lubed.

Had one on a ZX-6 and hated it, it was either all or nothing but I suppose that was due to communting with the throttle almost shut to giving it a blast and oil everywhere.

Might try it again as I'm doing a bit more steady milage

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2013, 06:31:31 pm »
Must fill up the reservoir on mine, try it out. It came on the bike when I got it but I've always used chain spray as I know what's going on and it keeps the bike chain well lubed.

Had one on a ZX-6 and hated it, it was either all or nothing but I suppose that was due to communting with the throttle almost shut to giving it a blast and oil everywhere.

Might try it again as I'm doing a bit more steady milage

You didn't have it set up right, or it was faulty then mate - throttle opening doesn't matter, it's just a matter of whether the engine is on or not.
Once on and set up properly they're great, you can literally just leave them and they'll get on with it. Have had one on pretty much all my bikes, the Ninja I had was fitted with one and in 10k miles the chain needed adjusting twice, and was still in extremely good nick!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2013, 12:32:13 pm »
Might give it a go then, see what happens...

hawkeye

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CD 175 1974
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2013, 08:23:49 am »
Might give it a go then, see what happens...
They really are worth having , I bought a cheapy drip control on tube job , 20,000 miles and still on original chain and sprockets .

Wilderie

• Cager in Training
  • -
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2013, 10:20:23 am »
I have one fitted under the seat. 55700 km and still the original chain and sprockets. This is the fourth bike where I have fitted this Scott Oiler. Good buy I think. :D

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2013, 08:48:28 am »
Scott oilers rock. Wouldn't ride without one!