Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:25 am

Author Topic: Torque settings - Front Shocks.  (Read 2367 times)

SteveH41

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Torque settings - Front Shocks.
« on: 28 August 2012, 07:42:33 am »
Hi All,

Had new tyres fitted a couple of weeks ago and since then something didn't feel right on the front end, bike felt as though it wanted to go right and brakes felt a little off. Decided that instead of taking it back to the garage I would instead learn about the bike and check it over myself. I found the following.

Front right shock was 2mm higher in the top clamp than it was before
Brakes binding more on the front than previously
Rear wheel alignment and chain tension was off
Handle bars are slightly to the right when traveling in a straight line on a flat road.

Quick check on the internet and a visit to halfords for torque wrenches, sockets, spanners etc etc and i'm ready to go.

Slackened off the shock hex bolts, two top and two bottom (just enough to hold but also adjust), reset the shock to the correct depth. Nipped hex bolts up.

Undid the bottom fork pinch bolt that holds the front right shock to the main shaft, bounced the front end up and down a few times, tightened back up and spun front wheel, now have a good few rotations before wheel stops.

Reset rear wheel alignment and chain tension.

Test ride - Feels 100% better with even braking and no pull to the right, just need to adjust handle bars ever so slightly to square them up.

Overall am happy with the work I have done and feel that it's safe, one question thought, can't find the torque settings for the 4 hex bolts that hold the front suspension. The 2 top bolts on the bars and the 2 lower on the cast section below the front fairing, thing the top are 6mm? and the bottom 8mm? Can anyone help me with these please.

Many thanks,

Steve.

Wilderie

• Cager in Training
  • -
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Re: Torque settings - Front Shocks.
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2012, 11:46:55 am »
« Last Edit: 28 August 2012, 11:48:28 am by Wilderie »

SteveH41