Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:10 pm

Author Topic: new speeding fines  (Read 3283 times)

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
new speeding fines
« on: 05 March 2017, 06:23:04 pm »
As well as the changes to the penalties for using a mobile device, from April the penalties for speeding will increase. 3 bands where the minimum fines will be calculated from your weekly earnings:[/size][/color][/size]Band A = 50% of your weekly earningsBand B = 100% of your weekly earningsBand C = 150% of your weekly earnings

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/speeding-fine-sentences-are-getting-tougher-here-s-what-it-means-for-you[/size]
« Last Edit: 05 March 2017, 10:10:15 pm by BBROWN1664 »
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: new speeding fines
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2017, 06:43:19 pm »
Quick to review the penalties and fines but haven't updated the speed limits since the 60s. They dont reflect modern vehicles braking capabilities at all.
They just pluck numbers out of thin air most of the time. Like when there are roadworks on the motorway and they reduce everyone to 50? so hitting someone at 50mph in a 2 tonne car is gonna be less deadly than hitting them at 70? I think not...

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2017, 09:37:41 pm »
I believe Speed Limits used to be determined by the 85 percentile speed of traffic using a road (the maximum speed at which up to 85% of traffic travelled). I think the basis of this was that that speed was the one which most drivers felt was reasonable, caused the least frustration and resulted in the least overtaking manoeuvres - i.e., the safest and most appropriate speed for the road.

Then the uneducated safety nazi's decided the speed is the Devil and driving slower MUST be safer - sod human psychological fact and the way the human brain functions, just force everyone to drive slower, increase driver frustration, create dangerous overtaking situations and then say it's all in the name of SAFETY.

Effing numpties 😡😡

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2017, 10:12:13 pm »
:agree

but also we now have octogenarian drivers on the roads who are incapable of reacting as quick as a 20 something stoner but the rest of us suffer
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2017, 07:21:25 am »
Just had a lookat the scale of the fines and at first thought it was fair as a millionair banker is not going to be to bothered by a fine that would cripple someonr on minimum wage zero hours but then saw that its capped at a grand.Piss take  :\ .
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2017, 07:46:58 am »
Quick to review the penalties and fines but haven't updated the speed limits since the 60s. They dont reflect modern vehicles braking capabilities at all.

Not all of us drive modern vehicles all the time.
is it clean enough?

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2017, 01:53:42 pm »

Not all of us drive modern vehicles all the time.

And reaction times haven't changed.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2017, 03:53:00 pm »
And reaction times haven't changed.

Quite the opposite in fact. When the speed limits were introduced the average age of drivers was much lower and there were far fewer of them.
Now we have many more people on the road and an increasingly ageing element there too that still think there's a man with a red flag walking in front of them

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2017, 04:37:52 pm »

but also we now have octogenarian drivers on the roads who are incapable of reacting as quick as a 20 something stoner but the rest of us suffer

Oyyy! BB careful mate we are all getting closer.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2017, 04:46:07 pm »

Oyyy! BB careful mate we are all getting closer.

One of my Wife's Uncles (That's one of her Uncles not one of my Wives) is 90 in August and has just bought a new car, and, he said this one is likely to be the last new car he owns.
He lives in the Northern Lakes and to be honest he is absolutely fine behind the wheel. Mmmaybe drives a bit to fast, but he is in control of the motor and still enjoys his car.
so good luck to him.

I have seen twats on the road in their 30's & 40's more of a liability than Unk.
Keep driving Unk we love you man :thumbup  X

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2017, 04:53:28 pm »
Glad I sold the Fazer , shouldn't get into too much trouble on the Guzzi , might have to get myself a Harley .

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2017, 12:09:08 am »

This should get on my Goat section, sitting on the M1 & M6 average speed cameras and 50mph is the permitted speed so you are doing your 50, speed limiter applied and the next thing is you have some twat behind you tailgating and flashing there head light.
The over one restricted speed areas and cameras , ^60 MPH is flashing on the Gantries but the traffic is backed up so you are crawling along in second gear.
Why does it take a million years do carry out motorway upgrading on the M1&M6, I am spoilt living in France how can the French keep traffic moving at a decent lick and still do carriage repairs in weeks never months
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2017, 06:53:17 am »

When you say "20 something stoner", do you mean someone of 20 stone or more in weight, or a young lad who's stoned?  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2017, 08:01:07 am »
Why does it take a million years do carry out motorway upgrading on the M1&M6, I am spoilt living in France how can the French keep traffic moving at a decent lick and still do carriage repairs in weeks never months

:agree I went down the A28 in France a few years ago and they had about 10 miles of contraflow whilst they had the other carriageway completely dug up for resurfacing. 5 days later on the way home the motorway was open as normal and all the work had been finished.
Over here that would be a 6 month job.

Also, repainting the white lines on rural roads - over here major disruption over weeks. Over there, a set of moving roadwork's and the job completed in a day

When you say "20 something stoner", do you mean someone of 20 stone or more in weight, or a young lad who's stoned?  :lol
Stoned

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2017, 08:48:53 am »
I know where you're coming from, but the white line thing is all about Health and Safety and the proper Safety Legislation - we work to it, the French don't.

Having been involved when it went wrong on a site (numpty driver who the police threw the book at) and had colleagues seriously hurt, I'd support the delays and hold-ups every day of the week. We have to protect our workers from the idiots out there. Every time I ride or drive in France and the rest of mainland Europe, I'm appalled at the state of roadwork traffic controls - presumably they think that the risk To their workers is less if they finish the work quickly, so they needn't bother with proper traffic control.

And the idiot drivers are not necessarily the ones who break speed limits, but those texting, driving after drinking or on dope, combing their hair and looking in the mirror, getting their burger from the passenger seat...........oh yeah, speeding on a motorway is much more dangerous than any of these.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2017, 08:51:27 am by Millietant »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: 07 March 2017, 09:10:28 am »
I know where you're coming from, but the white line thing is all about Health and Safety and the proper Safety Legislation - we work to it, the French don't.

We have different views to the French. In France the hold ups are minor and kept to a minimum so people respect the limits and controls meaning less issues.
Over here, we go OTT. Traffic gets held up for no reason. Roadwork's go on for months/years with no noticeable work going on which makes people get pissed off with the roadwork's in general.

If we sped things up, cleared down temporary limits when not needed and generally did things better, drivers wouldn't get so frustrated and less issues would occur.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 March 2017, 11:03:44 am »

:agree Completely agree BB The French are masters of tailgating but concerning how they behave on motorways they can show the Brits how to drive. Not often do you see them hogging the middle lane. Also if you are a biker the French will move over so you can pass. I can count one hand the number of times I have seen brits do that, Okay when filtering you see it but I have also seen it the other way were they move over to block you.
Just been reading an interesting article about filtering in France the article was dated 2011, Dirty police tactics, Filtering has been made illegal in France €90 spot fine + 3 points wtf, everyone filters in France.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: 07 March 2017, 11:10:59 am »
Lew - Can you send me a link that article please?

I knew it was illegal to filter in France and nobody cares and the police are not bothered either. Same as the helmet stickers and hi-viz. its only if you have an accident that you might get done.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 March 2017, 12:55:08 pm »
Hi Lew if you can post a link to the article in here it would be good

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 March 2017, 04:00:47 pm »
Just been reading an interesting article about filtering in France the article was dated 2011, Dirty police tactics, Filtering has been made illegal in France €90 spot fine + 3 points wtf, everyone filters in France.

Superseded in some area's now;

http://www.drive-france.com/blog/new-motorcycle-rules-2016/

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 March 2017, 05:10:34 pm »

We have different views to the French. In France the hold ups are minor and kept to a minimum so people respect the limits and controls meaning less issues.
Over here, we go OTT. Traffic gets held up for no reason. Roadwork's go on for months/years with no noticeable work going on which makes people get pissed off with the roadwork's in general.

If we sped things up, cleared down temporary limits when not needed and generally did things better, drivers wouldn't get so frustrated and less issues would occur.

I'm definitely not trying to disagree here, but there is more to it than just "culture" - we have roughly the same number of people living over here as they do in France (give or take a few), but our island is 1/3 of the size of France. They also have a road network that's 3 times a big as ours, but with car ownership levels within around 10% of each other.

Therefore, on any given day, the traffic density on the roads in France is going to be 1/3 that of the UK.

Think about it, we have 3 times as many vehicles per mile travelling on our roads than the French do. Is it any wonder that there seem to be less road works and less traffic jams over there.

The traffic damage is the other reason French roadworks take less time than ours - because their traffic volumes are light, they can get away with regular "quick skims" and thin surface replacements, which can be done much quicker than our deep structural repairs. During the 90's we started to adopt French road surface materials and construction techniques, and then decided to reduce our maintenance regimes to save money - is it any wonder we're in the mess we are in now.

Unfortunately, I've been in the Highways industry for 40 years now, so I have a pretty protectionist view of our roads and working methods, but having spent time in Europe, the USA and Central America with work, I don't think my views are misplaced. In the long run, given our traffic density, we still have just about the best and the safest road network in the world (just imagine how France would compare if we took 2/3 of the vehicle's off our roads!).

It's just that our island is waaaaay too small for our population.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2017, 05:18:02 pm by Millietant »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 March 2017, 05:28:48 pm »
Cheers scobbie

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 March 2017, 05:30:16 pm »
Glad I sold the Fazer , shouldn't get into too much trouble on the Guzzi , might have to get myself a Harley .

If you go the Harley route my mate has a plough and a muck spreader you can have for the back. :eek

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 March 2017, 09:46:11 am »

Lew - Can you send me a link that article please?

I knew it was illegal to filter in France and nobody cares and the police are not bothered either. Same as the helmet stickers and hi-viz. its only if you have an accident that you might get done.

There you go BB, But I see someone has posted a more recent up dated link. I still filter here in France. My rule of thumb is if you see the locals do it and it is obviously not dangerous then go for it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/9422831/Guide-to-motorcycling-in-France.html