Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:23 am

Author Topic: LOFO's. Day trip to Cornwall on Monday.  (Read 2251 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
LOFO's. Day trip to Cornwall on Monday.
« on: 20 August 2019, 01:37:05 pm »
Me and my pal are doing a day trip to Cornwall on Monday. I'll no doubt have to use my Triumph to save the thou's tyres for my French trip next month. If anyone fancies it, can meet on the A3 south of M25, or Popham services on A303. This whizz is predominantly A and B roads, and is roughly 470 miles round trip from South London.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: LOFO's. Day trip to Cornwall on Monday.
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2019, 12:31:27 pm »
Due to the lightweight LOFO interest in a proper bike ride, it was left to my pal Vern to accompany me on my almost annual day trip to Cornwall. The Fazer got left at home to save the tyres for my French trip next month. Vern's off to the Picos next week, so his newly shod Verys 1000 stayed in the garage too, making it a Triumph day out for us both.
We hit the A3 at 7am knowing that this was the boring bit until we got to the A30 at Popham. Then it was the Roman road roller coaster down to Stockbridge and over the river Test. Early in the morning is the best time to do this road, and it came up trumps again.
The Haven cafe opens at 8, and a few bikes were already there as we rolled in, 20 minutes after opening. After chowing down our healthy options it was back on the road, but almost immediately encountered a heavy mist which plagued us on and off almost to Honiton. A fuel stop at Chard and a drink stop at Honiton saw us skirting Exeter, then it was B roads up on to Dartmoor, stopping to take a few pics before pressing on to Tavistock and over the river Tamar into Cornwall. Our destination was the Tamar Inn on the banks of the river, so by 1pm we were in to a well deserved pint and a chillax.
I was envious of the majority of pub goers in shorts and flip flops, whilst we hid iin the shade in leathers. Lunch came and went and before long a few hours had slid by, and it was time to saddle up and do it all again. Missing out Dartmoor we A30'd it round to Exeter, followed by five minutes on the M5 before we were back on largely empty A roads. Chard was our return trip fuel and drink stop, then cracked on dispensing with Shaftesbury and Salisbury before our last drink stop at Popham services. I miss the Little Chef chain where at least you could sit down with a cold drink when on the road, rather than sat on a kerb on a garage forecourt.
At this point I usually carry on the A30 to Camberley, but could not face the slow progress around Basingstoke in the heat, so took a gamble and sat on the M3 for 4 junctions which worked out ok. The sun seemed to drop quite quickly, forcing a roadside stop at Guildford to change my visor, then 40 minutes later, the ignition key got turned off for the last time that day. A glance at the trip meter, 471 miles. Other than the morning mist episode it had been a perfect day and my 25 year old Speed Triple sat there ticking, as if in agreement.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2019, 12:51:19 pm »
sounds like a great trip ROBBO  :thumbup .....stick my name down for next years run   :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2019, 12:53:04 pm »
Mr.Red.  I'll pm you next year :thumbup .

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2019, 05:22:13 pm »
Hopefully a few pics.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2019, 05:23:53 pm »
And a few more.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2019, 08:40:57 pm »
sounds like a great trip ROBBO  :thumbup .....stick my name down for next years run   :)

:agree
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2019, 08:13:21 am »
Was there for the Calstock rally the other week!
I ride to Falmouth regularly from Portsmouth but tend to use A303 / A30 going & A30 back via Chard. (main reason is i'm going to see my kids & just want to get there!)
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2019, 08:39:26 am »
I've been doing the almost annual day trip to Cornwall for the last 25 years or so, that's how I found out about the Calstock Rally, which I didn't do this year, but had done the previous six or seven. A really friendly relaxed rally that, and have always been lucky with the weather.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2019, 08:34:47 pm »
Never been down that way would love to come next time round.