Date: 16-04-24  Time: 14:39 pm

Author Topic: Front sproket?  (Read 1765 times)

Batez7zi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Front sproket?
« on: 25 October 2011, 02:39:49 pm »
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me out.

recently swapped out the front and rear sporkcet and chain. rear sproket went on fine but the front sproket wouldnt fit, its a 15 tooth sprocket which i got from the local suppliers, and size wise looks exactlty the same as the old one, difference is the teeth in the middle which fit over the shaft, the new ones are too wide and wont fit between the teeth on the shaft. the old sprocket seems to have thiner longer teeth on it. went back to the bike shope today to see if i could get a different one, and they saiid this is the right one and shud fit models from 98 - 03. ive got a 98 fzs 600 and i think the old sprocket is the orignal.

ive attached a picture of a front sproket, its the Z-13 bit that is wrong. dont know if i need a Z-22 maybe?

is this something anyone else has come across, and does anyone know of a sproeckt that will fit? any halp is much appreciated guys. next step is to take old sprocket back off and take ti to the shope and see what they say i think,

thanks guys
chris

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Front sproket?
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2011, 09:20:36 pm »
Here is a photo of an original equipment sprocket for the FZS600.

The brown plastic stuff is only on Yamaha sprockets (and has been cut away a bit on this one just to show the construction). It won't be on after market sprockets and is nothing to worry about. I'm guessing the Z-13 shown refers to the number of teeth, which at 13 is correct. What makes you think you need one with 22 teeth? A quick measurment of an old sprocket also corresponds to the dimensions on your drawing picture. I've not heard of this problem before but if it looks like it will nearly fit it could be a slight manufacturing error. They should be a fairly close fit and it wouldn't take much error for it not to fit.
If it is obviously way out then it is the wrong sprocket for your bike. The thing that makes me think that may be the case is the two tapped holes. A system used by some Honda models, and maybe others, utilises two such holes.
If it is obviously different to your old sprocket you could take your old sprocket to the shop and see what they say then. Good luck and let us know when you solve this.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2011, 10:14:29 pm »
the sprockets are the same from 1998 to 2003 so the bike shop is right there,is there any manufacturer numbers on the sprocket incase the one supplied is not as part number?

oldmotherfoccer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • WWW.FATMAGGOT.COM
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2011, 07:25:26 am »
From Deefer666

If it is a JT one that you have been supplied with (and they are the ones that I use in my workshop) then the front sprockets are usually a very snug fit on the shaft. You can normally get them positioned by hand but then put a large sprocket on it and tap it on with a mallet, Please note that I used the word "tap" not "smack the shit out of" as I doesn't take much and if you cant get it positioned by hand then it is definately the wrong one.
Fat Maggot Clothing Company - remember FOCU15 to claim your foccers discount