Date: 20-04-24  Time: 01:19 am

Author Topic: Fitting after market side fairings  (Read 3062 times)

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Fitting after market side fairings
« on: 23 May 2016, 08:18:22 pm »
When I bought the bike I got some extra side fairings. They were in pretty rough shape so I sanded them down, filled in the gaps and gave it a (poor) paint job.

This is how it's supposed to look:

I do not have any part number, the kit is probably as old as the bike and the previous owner is unavailable so I'm trying my luck with you guys.

It's fitted with five holes, one at the top fairing, one on the radiator, one on the frame next to the exhausts and one on lower frame.
I got four of 5 holes mounted, but the one next to the exhaust is giving me a great deal of trouble.

Try as I might I could only get it within 1cm. I don't believe I'm supposed to use that much force to fit something, I must be doing something wrong.

This is how the brackets look:

Any help is appreciated.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting after market side fairings
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2016, 08:27:58 pm »
Have you got the brackets fastened up securely? If so try slackening them all off and refit the side panel, see how it lines up then , if it is better can you then retighten the brackets up with the side panel in place?

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2016, 08:34:11 pm »
I would be afraid of fitting the bracket to the side fairing and then tightenting. I needed to use a lot of force to even get it close...
The angle seems off. I was expecting it to sit flush against the metal. Right now it seems more like 30-40 degrees off.

Both brackets are identical, I thought perhaps one had been bent if the bike had fallen over or something...

There might be something I'm missing, or not understanding... But it really seems straight forward.

However! There are two different spacers on the rubber mounting.
There are one type that sits flush with the rubber (seen in picture above), and another that is around 1cm long. The 1cm long fits exactly and perfectly in the radiator position, so I really doubt I should move that to this position.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2016, 08:52:31 pm »
Could the brackets be on backwards? You could bodge it and use cable ties. I'd do that before I'd force it into place

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2016, 09:27:48 pm »
Unfortunately that's not possible. One side there is a 10mm~  hole for the frame screw and the other there are threads for the M6-screws.

I found the kit on ebay and sent the seller a message. Hoping for a response even though I didn't buy it from them directly.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2016, 10:49:17 pm »
Unfortunately that's not possible. One side there is a 10mm~  hole for the frame screw and the other there are threads for the M6-screws.

I found the kit on ebay and sent the seller a message. Hoping for a response even though I didn't buy it from them directly.

I know Mark Lawrence bought that same kit and painted it etc, you'll get him mainly on the fb foc-u forum, you could maybe message him and ask.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

bootz76

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2016, 11:57:27 pm »
They were designed for a stock bike ie standard exhaust you have a stainless aftermarket one is the lowers or mounts catching on it?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2016, 10:46:13 am »

On a side note I had one of those bolt on seat cowl's but at every angle (apart from the angle in the picture) it just looked wrong/ fat/ bolted on, so I got rid but I left off the grab rail and covered the holes. I dont think there are many around.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2016, 12:23:35 pm »

I got an answer from the ebay seller but there were no manual for the fairings, no brackets either which I found weird...

They were designed for a stock bike ie standard exhaust you have a stainless aftermarket one is the lowers or mounts catching on it?
Exhaust does not interfere with the fairing.

I know Mark Lawrence bought that same kit and painted it etc, you'll get him mainly on the fb foc-u forum, you could maybe message him and ask.

I sent him a message, but I don't know if he wants to respond to strangers  :b

They will go on! I'll just keep at it until something works. I'll post the solution whenever I do.

Being an owner of a BMW E39 I'm so used to every single problem being documented  :lol

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2016, 12:37:56 pm »
I sent him a message, but I don't know if he wants to respond to strangers  :b
You might have to wait a day or two :)
Colin
----------------------

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2016, 08:38:38 am »

This won't be too bad :)
Regarding the fitting, it really just looks like the bracket was bent a small amount at the base, very hard to see but it made a huge difference at the end!

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2016, 07:02:48 pm »
Great news, looks good.

I might of gave you the wrong name earlier but either way you've fixed it now. :thumbup
Colin
----------------------

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2016, 09:19:26 pm »
This didn't turn out too bad! :D

Should paint the top box too. It's my daily commuter so I need the box, it's an elementary part of the bike :)