Date: 29-03-24  Time: 04:34 am

Author Topic: driving licence  (Read 2081 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
driving licence
« on: 28 March 2020, 12:46:44 pm »
i have a photo card driving licence thats due for renewal on 21/04/20 but i have not yet received the reminder which according too DVLA is sent out approx 56 days before expiry,i can renew online if i have a current passport but that expired a couple of years ago,being a carer for my dementia suffering mother rules out any holidays so i couldnt see ant point in renewal...tried emailing DVLA but due to the virus they are not answering emails instead they are asking me to phone and join a never ending que...ive also tried the local post office but they cant help until monday and with things being as they are i dont want to leave the house..i need my licence to help my mum, 24 days left,iam a little bit worried...

anyone else had this, its a straight renewal,no name or address change...
One, is never going to be enough.....

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
Re: driving licence
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2020, 01:41:47 pm »
You can renew at main post office , they have a camera there , takes 10 min ☺
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2020, 01:51:59 pm »
I found this. There's info about applying by post and a page where you can online-order the apllication forms to be posted to you.
https://forms.dft.gov.uk/order-dvla-forms/
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence#other-ways-to-apply
« Last Edit: 28 March 2020, 01:53:20 pm by YamFazFan »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2020, 04:37:07 pm »
hi YFF.....yes i found that a couple of weeks ago.i ordered the form and received it on wednesday,its a general form and not really what i need,it asks for proof of ID...my driving licence is my proof of ID and my passport has expired so dos`nt count, thanks for going to the trouble of searching that out  :thumbup 

hi TEX, thats where i went this morning, thay cant do it on a saturday but might be able to help me on monday, i dont want to leave the house if i can help it but i might have to.....thanks for your help :thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2020, 08:41:01 am »
been thinking over the weekend about going back to the post office today, should i really be going out,i only need it to care for my mother who has dementia,a 14 mile round trip 3 days a week,can be more than that at times...looking at gov website iam aloud out to "provide care orto help a vulnerable person" i think that covers me...or do i just leave it and hope the reminder comes in the next 3 weeks,do i carry on driving without a licence as there is an extension for MOT so surely the licence renewal needs to be extended as well... i only need to fill in the renewal and put it in the post and iam covered....at the moment sitting here having my breakfast i think i`ll get the fazer out and whizz over to the post office and see if it can be done today

what do you think foccers, am i being selfish and putting other at risk...what would you do ?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2020, 09:01:10 am »
been thinking over the weekend about going back to the post office today, should i really be going out,i only need it to care for my mother who has dementia,a 14 mile round trip 3 days a week,can be more than that at times...looking at gov website iam aloud out to "provide care orto help a vulnerable person" i think that covers me...or do i just leave it and hope the reminder comes in the next 3 weeks,do i carry on driving without a licence as there is an extension for MOT so surely the licence renewal needs to be extended as well... i only need to fill in the renewal and put it in the post and iam covered....at the moment sitting here having my breakfast i think i`ll get the fazer out and whizz over to the post office and see if it can be done today

what do you think foccers, am i being selfish and putting other at risk...what would you do ?

Personally I'd say if your fit and healthy yourself and arent showing any kind of symptoms then I would just go and get it sorted.
I would imagine like all places the post office will have distancing measures in place so I very much doubt there is anything to worry about. Your doing it for genuine reasons not selfish ones and although the rules are being bent for the current climate I very much expect the police would still try and prosecute you for driving "without a valid licence" if you were caught. 👍

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2020, 09:14:13 am »
cheers for your reply DUDE...iam going,mum comes first...still feel a bit guilty though.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2020, 09:23:43 am »
I’d probably just drive. At the end of the day you still have the entitlement on the back of the license which states when all categories expire. I think it would be very unlikely to go to prosecution given the current climate.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2020, 09:39:29 am »
Red, stick the application in the post and you are covered. You don't need to be in possession of it, just have applied as it is a renewal. If you can, post it from a post office and do it as recorded delivery so you have a receipt just in case you get some fuckwit copper before the new one arrives in the post.

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2020, 09:40:07 am »
I’d probably just drive. At the end of the day you still have the entitlement on the back of the license which states when all categories expire. I think it would be very unlikely to go to prosecution given the current climate.

:agree :thumbup
Later

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2020, 11:30:05 am »
all done  :thumbup ...went to nearest post office that deals with driving licences, all i needed was my old licence and my telephone no and a picture,i had a photo which was the right size etc but was not acceptable because i was wearing glasses,something i have to wear all the time including whilst riding/driving. not a problem as they have their own photo booth, handed my old licence over and i now have a post office receipt as proof of application should i need it and now that i have that i can continue to drive even if i don`t receive the new licence before the old one expires...

BBROWN,that was my intention but i dont have another form of ID , i use my driving licence as ID, my passport has also expired and as i care for mum holidays are on ice for the moment so i didn`t rewew...coujld of done it online if i had a current passport..

good to see most people are sticking to the lockdown rules, not much traffic on the roads mainly delivery drivers, the idiots are still out there though,be extra carefull if you have to go out, the last thing the NHS wants is to deal with a motorcycle accident.....

thanks for your replies foccers....stay safe

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2020, 11:10:18 pm »
Being an insulin using diabetic I need to renew my licence every 3 years,there's been a couple of times over the last 10 years when the renewal didn't come through, the first time it didn't arrive I phoned the DVSA and they said if I'd let it expire and hadn't renewed it I would have been prosecuted if I'd been stopped by the law,  even though it wasn't my fault.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2020, 08:42:17 am »
Being an insulin using diabetic I need to renew my licence every 3 years,there's been a couple of times over the last 10 years when the renewal didn't come through, the first time it didn't arrive I phoned the DVSA and they said if I'd let it expire and hadn't renewed it I would have been prosecuted if I'd been stopped by the law,  even though it wasn't my fault.

If you have posted it off, you haven't let it expire. It is in the system somewhere and its their fault. I have read elsewhere that if you post your application off in plenty of time you can continue driving until you either get told your licence has been suspended or you receive the new one.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla
« Last Edit: 02 April 2020, 08:43:00 am by BBROWN1664 »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2020, 08:44:59 am »
 :agree ...... :thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2020, 06:51:25 pm »
driving licence arrived  today  :thumbup ...bit surprised to have a picture of the old man on there  :eek         :lol

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 May 2020, 07:09:00 pm »
Wow... that took it's time 😳

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2020, 07:37:05 pm »
Glad it's worked out. As an aside, I always scan any documents before sending them off just in case they get lost or they manage to lose any entitlement off the licence etc.

Cheers

John
The devil made me do it!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: 07 May 2020, 08:15:51 pm »
Wow... that took it's time 😳

Agreed
My dad sent his off a few weeks ago and it only took 4 days to come back.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 May 2020, 11:29:24 pm »
driving licence arrived  today  ...bit surprised to have a picture of the old man on there   

Some people use photos of younger versions of themselves for reasons of vanity.
Never heard of anybody managing to take a picture of themselves actually older than they are ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2020, 07:31:26 am »
driving licence arrived  today  ...bit surprised to have a picture of the old man on there   

Some people use photos of younger versions of themselves for reasons of vanity.
Never heard of anybody managing to take a picture of themselves actually older than they are ;)

FaceApp, make yourself any age you want. Quite scary, and ingenious, what you can do these days with a photo.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 May 2020, 08:03:56 am »
yeh, not too good in front of the camera,prefer to take pictures rather than be in them...picture quality on the new licence is not very good, IMO, not good enough for ID...good to see the union jack on the new licence but of course its still got the EU one on there  :rolleyes

but...good for another 10 yrs now but due to COVID19 it will be a few more weeks before i`am riding for pleasure on the FAZER,

another good thing with the new licence is the expiry date is a lot clearer, i never did get the renewal letter from DVLA

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #21 on: 08 May 2020, 08:00:18 pm »
bit surprised to have a picture of the old man on there  :eek       

It's supposed to have a picture of your *face*, not your "Old man"...  :lol