Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:48 pm

Author Topic: Help, not happy with Fazer8  (Read 2202 times)

M4RTIN

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZX9R F2P x2 & Fazer 6
    • View Profile
Help, not happy with Fazer8
« on: 27 May 2014, 07:13:25 pm »
Hi guys

I have only had my new Fazer8 a couple of week. But i am thinking have i done the right thing. Now what i would like to ask is, how does the Fazer1 compare to the Fazer8.  Would i enjoy the Fazer1 more after being use to a vfr1200 over the Fazer8.  My wife is happy to have the Fazer8 and then use her 2012 xj6f as px for a Fazer1.  What is worrying me is i don't want to get the Fazer1 and find its just the same as the Fazer8, as once the deal on the next bike is done there is no going back or changing it.  I want a bike that i can still have a play on, but also eat up the miles on a long trip and also do some 2 up riding as well on.  I am finding it hard as i have had big bikes over the past 8 years starting off with the old kawasaki zx10 then a suzuki dl1000 then a hayabusa and then the vfr1200.  i got the speed out of my system with the hayabusa so i'm not after speed now. want a bike that i'm not hurting after a long ride out.

My short list is:

Fazer1
zzr1400
xjr1300
CB1300

I dont want to spend no more than 9k, but can push to 10k for the right bike. Dont want another vfr12 as i never buy the same bike.

thanks for listening

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Help, not happy with Fazer8
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2014, 07:29:39 pm »
To be honest mate, if you want something that will really eat up the miles, the FZ1 would probably not be the best option. The tank range isn't the best, and it's not particularly comfy after about 100 miles or so (particularly for the pillion, which is what I've spent the most time on - admittedly I'm taller than most women but there's really not a lot of leg room, and the seats not that comfy to start with tbh)

my preference would probably be the ZZR 1400, ballistic engine, great brakes and handles quite well for the size bike that it is - but I do find clipons a lot comfier than upright bars). Yet still got the comfort (particularly with the Kwak gel seat) and tank range to cruise along for miles. It's the kind of bike I'd buy if I wanted to drive to France every now and again two up, and to get there bloody quickly and in comfort.

Have never ridden a Cb1300, but have only ever heard good things about them. That said, it is in a completely different class to the zzr1400, but as you said you aren't after speed now perhaps the CB might be a good choice?

Personally though, if it were me, I'd also considering buying a late model FZS1000 (2005/2006 ish), then spending part of the cash you'd have left over getting the suspension rebuilt and the bike ivanised.

You'd then have a 140hp bike, with great suspension, that handles, brakes and goes bloody well, and is still capable of doing the miles in comfort, both one and two up. Depends on what floats your boat I guess!

EDIT: Similarly I might also consider a late registered Blackbird as a cheaper version of the ZZR - would do similarly sorting out the suspension and getting a PC3 on and sorted as for the FZS1000?

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2014, 07:44:08 pm »
You could just snag a 12 plate gen2 ZZR1400 for 9K  :evil
Its just a ride

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2014, 08:48:27 pm »
I would say a FZ1s is more sport than tour  ,  you can do both on it of course but it is not a big bike, well not large.
Its what you make of it,,i have never been on the back of a bike nor ever wants to :o :)

Some folk though are very adaptable and will do both, "Ogri "on here does a fair bit of two up riding on an Fz1s , ask him.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2014, 09:04:06 pm »
Let's be honest, the FZ8 is basically the FZ1 with a sleeved down motor.
If the ergonomics of the 8 don't suit, then fair to say they nt on the thou.
I love mine, tour on it no problem and find that after about a 110 miles my brain and legs could do with a wee stretch so fuel stops are welcome.
Might say something else about ergonomics, but I drove to France from Glasgow in one hit on my SuperDuke and didn't find that too problematic either.

The big Kwak is good fun, Ralphie loves his and I must admit I can see why.
Tempted to look into one myself as a new shiny, but I'll be keeping 'Bee as she does everything I want.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2014, 12:40:31 pm »
What made you buy the Fazer 8 in the first place- no not being critical- but I guess you had one or two test runs on the bike before you laid down your hard earned- what did you like about it at the time or is it now that you have the thing and long runs you find it less than your first impressions?

Aegis has one by the looks of it and loves it. I have an FZ6S2 and look at the slating that gets but I love the bike and the tank range>150miles and find it comfortable to tour on.

I had the FZS6 before that and found that comfortable and great to ride and the FZ6 was a complete change to me- same confort but an engine that wanted to rev about 2-3k higher up the tacho to do the same as the FZS. Soon got used to it and now I wouldnt change the bike for anything else

Do you need to live with it a little longer or are you still hankering after mile munchers?
59 going on 57

Stradaman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2014, 02:29:55 pm »
The FZS1000 is an old school bike and I feel that after having some good later bikes you may be left a bit cold, Its great that your patner can have her own bike so that free's up the type of bike you can have, if your budget is around £9k then I would suggest either,
The new VFR 800 so agile, flickable, quick and 2 up if needs be, or try the Kawasaki z1000sx, both do all the things you want. good luck !

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2014, 04:39:27 pm »
my missus prefers our fz1 two up to the cb1300. as do i... :)
tank range is fairly crap, but the rest of the bike more than makes up for it. its impossible not to enjoy yourself on it every ride. cant ask for more than that..

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2014, 01:06:07 pm »
Sorry, should have been clearer, it's the FZ1 I have.
Loved my FZ6, loved my SD, but the gen 2 thou ticks all me boxes.

Not wanting to be too negative, but I never saw the point of the FZ8 apart from maybe from an insurance point of view.
Heavy as the thou, so not easier to pick up if you're of the dainty persuasion.
Less oomph, so less power to shift if needed.
A few more, but that's for another thread...

M4RTIN

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZX9R F2P x2 & Fazer 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2014, 01:11:13 pm »
Now looking at a FJR1300.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2014, 01:19:27 pm »
Now looking at a FJR1300.

Which has stonking motor - I have 2 of them, for the blood bikes - but they are barges of bikes, compared to most stuff. Never ridden an fz8 (or a 1), but am certain they'll be far more fun in the twisties...