Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:20 am

Author Topic: Post your 'Winter hack' bikes  (Read 2465 times)

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Post your 'Winter hack' bikes
« on: 29 November 2019, 01:45:34 pm »
Anyone switch to a Winter hack (BIKE) through these dark/wet winter months? Extra points added for Pictures of their winter bike. :)

Considering a cheap winter runaround. So can stay on a bike, while the FAZER is locked away for when better weather returns (and avoiding salty/wet/mucky roads).
As someone was saying in another thread - " a bike will always look worse coming out of winter than it did going in.  ".

A twist and go scooter might suit the bill, for a few giggles! :)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Post your 'Winter hack' bikes
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2019, 05:28:56 pm »
I've just sold this after 13years so I figure it counts in some way :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2019, 06:05:29 pm »

looks a wee bit back heavy???

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2019, 08:15:46 pm »
Is that number plate in mid up-flip so you didn’t get done by speed cameras?  :lol

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2019, 09:09:53 pm »
Here’s mine. Did 50 miles this morning 🥶

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2019, 12:56:37 pm »
This is my Winter Weapon. Seat recovered last week, new front discs yesterday. Could do with a new rear shock, but that will have to stay in the pending tray.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2019, 01:36:59 pm »
Also could do with a new rear shock on mine! But it was only £800 with less than £100 spent on parts / upgrades so all in a decent buy. Picture above was a quick 2 day trip to Belgium. 600 miles in 2 days, ZZR was perfect!

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2019, 04:27:57 pm »
Is that number plate in mid up-flip so you didn’t get done by speed cameras?  :lol

That's actually the result of a druggy who rear ended me at a junction,I was going to let it go anyway when I seen the damage wasn't much but the gear had dulled his senses and he must have thought I was going to call the cops or something because he kept on about giving me something for the damage,I said you're ok but he insisted and forced £30 on me which was all he had on him and that made me feel bad but it made him feel better and he kept thanking me over the top and that's when I sussed he must have been on something 'cause he didn't smell of booze,then again maybe he wasn't insured but I don't think so he seemed a bit spaced. :lol

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2019, 11:30:59 pm »

This has been my winter hack for a few years
 1992 Suzuki GSX1100G
  And probably be its last with 73000 hard miles on it  :'(

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2019, 11:00:51 am »

This is mine, it's my wet and salted roads bike to keep my Fazer perfect. It replaced my CB400 earlier this year, so far I have fitted new tyres and had the wheel and hugger paint refreshed, rebuilt the brakes with new seals, pads and braided lines, re-finished the top yoke, fitted various other new parts and collected a spare tank and set of plastics that are currently in the paint shop. It's comfortable, the fairing is effective and it's a pussy cat under 6k rpm so perfect for reduced grip roads:

« Last Edit: 02 December 2019, 11:02:55 am by bludclot »
is it clean enough?

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2019, 07:51:43 pm »

This is mine, it's my wet and salted roads bike to keep my Fazer perfect. It replaced my CB400 earlier this year, so far I have fitted new tyres and had the wheel and hugger paint refreshed, rebuilt the brakes with new seals, pads and braided lines, re-finished the top yoke, fitted various other new parts and collected a spare tank and set of plastics that are currently in the paint shop. It's comfortable, the fairing is effective and it's a pussy cat under 6k rpm so perfect for reduced grip roads:

Surely thats far too good for a winter hack :eek

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2019, 07:47:14 pm »

That depends upon how high (or low) your vehicle standards are. I like riding (all year round) and also enjoy maintaining my vehicles. I'd rather tinker with a bike, car or van or use them to go somewhere and do something than sit in front of a television (or worse, stare at a mobile phone, what a waste of life!)
is it clean enough?

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2019, 01:59:03 pm »
I'd be happy with all of the above, as a summer bike / 'only bike' too. :)  Nice rides! :thumbup
Have been skimming ebay and autotrader to see whats out there. Although still needs to be reliable, to make it cost effective.

Work colleague has a DRZ400 that looks a lot of fun, that he's not riding. I think he'd let it go if the price was right. But they fetch decent prices even for the early Years.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2019, 12:01:48 am »
Bought a Kwak Z750 as a winter hack rode it few times, it's stripped and being rebuilt spent a lot more on the bike than I paid for it,  and no it's no longer to be my winter hack when it's finished

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2019, 10:13:03 am »
Bought a Kwak Z750 as a winter hack rode it few times, it's stripped and being rebuilt spent a lot more on the bike than I paid for it,  and no it's no longer to be my winter hack when it's finished

:lol Isn't that what usually tends to happen. Within a few weeks of ownership, start looking at the bike and intentions start to waver. :)
Would be nice to see the "before" and "after", to see how the transformation turns out. :thumbup

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2019, 05:45:29 pm »

Same here with my initial CB400 (NC31) purchase: I truly believed I would use it in the wet and salty months but it turned into a complete restoration that cost thousands. Still, on the upside I bought another CB400 (only for the excellent exhaust it was wearing) and that became the winter hack. They were both sold and turned into the CBR, so no bad thing, it just took 3 bikes to get there... Owning 5 bikes and having the restored CB400 live with us in the dining room made me see sense in the end.
is it clean enough?

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2020, 03:33:00 pm »
Here's my winter and all year hack. This is the first year in 9 years I've not used it every day to commute. It does 5 or 6 track days a year and did 1800 miles to Scotland and the NC500 plus a little tour of Normandy, Simply brilliant
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2020, 03:34:38 pm »
At Cadwell
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2020, 04:49:58 pm »
Very stylish !! :thumbup :thumbup

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2020, 03:29:27 pm »
I’m a bit of a tart, I dont ride in winter. But today I had to check if she was ok as moving to a new place next week. I expected the old girl to be dead as not touched it for 3 months now, put key in, pressed the button and nothing, not even a click. So I jumped it off my car and she fired straight up  :D  warmed her up for a few mins and off I went for a blast. Jesus Christ I’ve missed the power, what an absolute beauty she is, and running perfectly despite her extended hibernation

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2020, 12:56:26 am »
I don't think you're a tart,nothing nice about pussy footing around on wet or icy roads trying to stay shiny side up unless you've got no choice.I remember some days arriving at work fuckin' freezing and then getting the "hotaches" warming your hands and feet up to quick in the shanty . :groan

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2020, 12:07:25 pm »
I don't ride even in damp conditions but through the winter there are plenty of days when I can get out. But in temps down to about 4 its sometimes just a 20 mile run. I also wont go out in the winter when there is a load of white salt flying about.

And I try to avoid late afternoon when the sun is very low and my visibility to cagers is hampered. Even with my hi vis top on- to them I will be coming out of the sun like a jap zero  :lol
« Last Edit: 09 January 2020, 12:08:04 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.