Date: 27-04-24  Time: 05:10 am

Author Topic: Ever ride alone?  (Read 1336 times)

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ever ride alone?
« on: 06 March 2020, 07:32:46 pm »
Ever thought what would happen if you ended up in a ditch unconscious out of sight?

Ha! Yeah, cheerful thought, huh? I was watching Emergency Helicopter Medics or something similar recently and an old fella did exactly that - he was there for four hours, I think it was, before he was found.

Wouldn't it be cool if you phone noticed and texted your exact location to summon help?

Anyway, I wrote this Android app for the Bloodrunners to automate controller messaging and stuff and I've extended it to do that - if you turn the tracker on it will monitor your location and if you're stationary for five minutes it will alert you to ask if you're OK. It'll ask again every minute for five minutes. If you don't respond it will text your exact location to the number you've set up.

Anyway, like I said, it's mainly for Bloodrunners but if anyone wanted to try it our for me that would be VERY helpful. It's very hard to test because every device (and GPS chip-set) behaves so differently - different accuracy, timings, reliability.

If you fancy giving it a go please do - it's called Bloodriders and it's on the app store at:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.serv.ridersapp

Just one ask from me - please let me know how you get on with it, GOOD OR BAD. Like I said, it's very difficult to test. I've tested it really just on one phone so I have no idea how well it will run on others.

If you like it post a review and tell your mates.

If you hate it tell me about it ;-)

Cheers!
Dave

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Ever ride alone?
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2020, 07:40:01 pm »
Sounds interesting.But can it be changed so that it does not track until after the stationary 5mins, and then stops tracking if I reply. Wouldn't want it to be used see that I was doing 31 in a 30 zone before I entered the ditch.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2020, 09:22:52 pm »
As it happens only last year I ended up in a ditch down a very large bank in Finland;  luckily for me there was a beautiful lady driving behind me.  even luckier for me a built like brick shithouse farmer came along and physically lifted the thou out of said ditch :)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2020, 10:47:58 pm »
As it happens only last year I ended up in a ditch down a very large bank in Finland;  luckily for me there was a beautiful lady driving behind me.  even luckier for me a built like brick shithouse farmer came along and physically lifted the thou out of said ditch :)
That was no Finlandic farm hand. It was for sure your guardian angel. Only you were riding faster than she could fly.  :lol   

Who's is that signature again ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2020, 11:05:07 pm »
As it happens only last year I ended up in a ditch down a very large bank in Finland;  luckily for me there was a handsome  young lad driving behind me.  even luckier for me a built like brick shithouse farmer came along and physically lifted the thou out of said ditch :)

I think your getting reality confused with some sort of homo erotic dream you keep having  :lol

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2020, 09:49:30 am »
Sounds interesting.But can it be changed so that it does not track until after the stationary 5mins, and then stops tracking if I reply. Wouldn't want it to be used see that I was doing 31 in a 30 zone before I entered the ditch.

Could it be changed so it didn't check your speed until after it knows you're stationary? Just think about that one a minute...

But seriously, the speed data is never transmitted anywhere and it's only kept (in the app's memory) for a rolling 5-minute window and then it's deleted.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2020, 10:01:26 am »
Could well be useful. Have had the app What3words, since it was launched, which pinpoints within 9 square metres your location, but obviously you'd need to be able to use your phone to activate it. It has helped locate people trapped in cars after they've gone through a hedgerow in remote locations. However there's still plenty of areas in the country with no mobile signal, which is worrying.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2020, 01:11:32 pm »

Did BMW not come out with a similar system for your bike many years ago.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2020, 01:32:49 pm »
I wrote a similar system many years ago, I used a filter algorithm that detected a possible crash using the accelerometers on the phone.  If they gave out a recognised set of values to signify a crash followed by relative stationary behaviour it would sms a user stored number with a short detailed message giving coordinates etc.  It was more user friendly than just detection of speed.
Intentionally left blank

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2020, 03:44:55 pm »
That was no Finlandic farm hand. It was for sure your guardian angel. Only you were riding faster than she could fly.  :lol   

Who's is that signature again ?

Unfazed
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2020, 06:25:37 pm »

Did BMW not come out with a similar system for your bike many years ago.

There's one by Real Rider too: https://www.realrider.com/crash-detection/