Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:40 pm

Author Topic: Rear Brake Light Switch  (Read 1126 times)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Rear Brake Light Switch
« on: 19 September 2019, 08:50:20 pm »
So I noticed today that my brake light was constantly on. Gave a wiggle to the rear brake switch and out it went, thought I would fix it later as late for work.
Got to work and it was permanently on again so gave the mount a wiggle again and it didn't go out. Sprayed a load of WD40 as I  thought it might be sticking and pulled the rubber boot off and sprayed load in there as well. Thats when the smoke appeared!! Disconnected it for the return home.
So does it just need a good clean, the clips look reasonable, or should I just replace it? The plunger moves fine with the pedal, but if it smoking is something shorting

Also if I wanted to change the piston seals on the rear calliper, do I need to split the calliper itself, or can it be done whole?

Cheers
Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Brake Light Switch
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2019, 09:28:46 pm »
Can’t help too much with the electrical question but I did a rear calliper rebuild not too long ago. You can change the seals without breaking the Caliper apart. I think I read somewhere that you can’t get new caliper seals anyway so it’s best not to break it. For the piston seals get only genuine Yamaha ones, even though they seem expensive for what is essentially 4 pieces of rubber. Aftermarket seals are a bit hit and miss with fitment.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2019, 10:19:19 pm »
This company https://powerhouse.uk/content/motorcycle-brakes/motorcycle-brake-caliper-seal-kits.php has a full seal kit for the OEM rear caliper including the small O-Ring and are good to deal with.
Might just be the WD40 burning from the arcing from a poor connection as there is nothing else in there to cause smoking as it is shorting to earth to make the light work. Give it a good clean and adjust it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2019, 06:23:45 am »
Make sure the area inside where the foot lever pivots is clean as well if you haven't done it already. 
Over time it can get clogged up making braking less responsive.
I just give it a blast with brake cleaner or even WD40 works fine too every other month or so.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2019, 09:45:12 pm »
Cheers for the info guys.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2019, 09:35:22 pm »
Cleaned it all today and all works fine now. The contacts had some furring on it.