Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:58 pm

Author Topic: Gearbox woes...  (Read 1159 times)

Super_Monkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Harley Chop built by me
    • View Profile
Gearbox woes...
« on: 06 April 2017, 07:34:00 pm »
Hello all, it's been awhile, hope you're all well?

OK to the point.

2004 grey import, 30K, full service, good oil used always, new EBC clutch pads, new clutch cable, all set correctly but for the life of me I can't get rid of the notchy gearbox, as some have mentioned in their own posts it seems to be 1st and 2nd gear, doesn't matter if the bikes hot or cold at times it's like a spoon in porridge trying to find first  :'(

I had a 2001 Fazer thou previously and that was silky smooth but it had a 1/3 of the miles on the clock.  Yesterday on the run back from the north it was fine and even changed up with no clutch but then as soon as I was back to having to go down to first and second (pulling upto junctions or lights) the notchiness and sloppy feel started again.

HELP!!! (is this normal? is it down to some bikes? or is the box on it's way out???)

thanks in advance
I like bikes....ALOT!!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: Gearbox woes...
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2017, 10:22:24 pm »
You'll know the gearbox is on the way out when it's starts slipping out of second on up changes. It gets worse and worse until it goes bang (yeah, personal experience of an 01). My second and third Fazers lumps never jump out of second and one's done way over 100,000 miles.

As for the notchiness, I've noticed that mine's slick until it gets really hot and bothered and then it can be a bit recalcitrant, but it does sound like yours is a proper problem. I'd have a long hard look at the linkage, the play on the change lever pivot, and of course, the chain.

Super_Monkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Harley Chop built by me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2017, 10:51:54 pm »
You'll know the gearbox is on the way out when it's starts slipping out of second on up changes. It gets worse and worse until it goes bang (yeah, personal experience of an 01). My second and third Fazers lumps never jump out of second and one's done way over 100,000 miles.

As for the notchiness, I've noticed that mine's slick until it gets really hot and bothered and then it can be a bit recalcitrant, but it does sound like yours is a proper problem. I'd have a long hard look at the linkage, the play on the change lever pivot, and of course, the chain.

cheers for the reply,  new chain and sprockets fitted a few hundred miles ago, linkage seems to be set correctly fingers crossed that it's not the start of serious problems as I like this bike and it's got some decent upgrades on it.
I like bikes....ALOT!!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2017, 10:55:44 pm »
Hmm. Bit of a chin scratcher, then ...