Date: 26-04-24  Time: 08:22 am

Author Topic: Naked electricals inside fuel tank?  (Read 1814 times)

Trossman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - RSV Mille
    • View Profile
Naked electricals inside fuel tank?
« on: 02 November 2011, 01:02:56 pm »
Yo Bros

I have just finished repraying my 2008 Fazer 1000, during the course of which I removed the fuel pump/fuel gauge sender from the bottom of the fuel tank.

Whilst re-assembling the same I noticed that there are bare electrical connections to the pump/gauge sender, which, when the tank is filled with petrol, will be below the top level of the petrol (worst case) or above the fuel level in a volume full of fuel vapour.

Can anyone re-assure me that this is how they are supposed to be, or have I lost some part/cover during the respray process?

Yours truly

Male Biker afraid of blowing his bollocks off
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Naked electricals inside fuel tank?
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2011, 02:19:59 pm »
At normal temperatures, so long as there is some liquid fuel present, the ratio of petrol vapour to air will be much too high to burn. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but very low temperatures, just above the flash point (-46ÂșC) are when you could potentially have an explosive mixture. Of course, you'd need the electrical bits to be arcing too to provide an ignition source.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2011, 10:14:15 pm »

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2011, 10:48:36 am »
It is far simpler to accept that they are all like that than wonder wtf is going on...I imagine the technos will tell you that the electrics are 'Instrinsically safe'
The Frying Scotsman