Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:47 am

Author Topic: Weird clicking/snapping noise from rear end when braking  (Read 1093 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Weird clicking/snapping noise from rear end when braking
« on: 16 January 2020, 08:52:18 pm »
Hi all

Currently using the bike a lot for commuting. Yesterday on my ride home in the pouring rain I had to slam on the brakes fairly hard to avoid a car that had switched lanes as I was about to overtake him, not really an issue as I reacted and put on my brakes but as it was so wet and I have the upgraded FZS1000 caliper on the rear disc, I locked up the rear wheel and almost drifted sideways before the bike snapped back up right and facing the right way. As it did this there was this weird click noise from the rear of the bike, throughout my ride today every time I applied the rear brake with a little bit of force I can now this click or snap sound.

I put the bike on its centre stand and tried to see if maybe I snapped a wheel bearing but I don't think it's that.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing the noise?

Thanks in advance :)

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Weird clicking/snapping noise from rear end when braking
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2020, 08:54:58 pm »
Loose caliper tie bar

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2020, 09:30:03 pm »
You could try putting it on the center stand and then apply the rear brake with your foot and with the brake applied rotate the wheel back and forward and check if anything is moving or making noise with the brake applied. Could be the pads moving in the caliper or loose caliper/tie bar as gerkin said. If it's not the coming from the rear brake it could be the wheel bearings, the swing arm bearing or suspension bearings. Think that's about all it could be if it's coming from the rear

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2020, 10:31:27 pm »
Don't pull the clutch in when lumping on the rear brake otherwise, as you found out, the rear end will want to overtake you.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2020, 03:12:15 pm »
Could be a multitude of things, lose/worn caliper bolts, worn caliper body allowing pads to twist, worn torque arm pins, worn swingarm bushes and/or shock linkages, lose rear wheel spindle, lose incorrectly adjusted chain tension blocks/bolts. 
Later