Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:32 am

Author Topic: Fazer 1000 nitron or hyperpro whatever rear shock ??  (Read 7875 times)

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
Fazer 1000 nitron or hyperpro whatever rear shock ??
« on: 10 August 2017, 06:49:15 pm »
just had a mini windfall (tax ha ha ) got £400 ish which I'd like to spend on rear shocker..Anyone got advice or preference.. preferably coz they have one :rollin ...any make (already got the R6 one fitted)other than the above ??

Cheers
Clive

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer 1000 nitron or hyperpro whatever rear shock ??
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2017, 07:29:40 pm »
Tbh you would not notice a difference even if you fit an ohlins ttx.  I would get the r6 shock serviced/setup and a spring to suit you (if not already).
Intentionally left blank

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2017, 09:04:51 pm »
I am a big fan of Nitron shocks, It's the first thing I do to any bike I own. Nitron rear shock and fork internals to match.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2017, 09:30:47 pm »
I'm another fan of Nitron shocks, mine transformed the handling of my GEN1 coming from the OEM shock. I am inclined though to agree with NorthWestern I'm not sure that the outlay of ~£600 is going to be worth it as you already have a fairly decent replacement. Getting the R6 shock serviced and resprung if appropriate would be a good move if it's more than a couple of years old, and spend the change on getting the forks sorted or getting the bike Ivanised if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2017, 09:31:30 pm by PieEater »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2017, 10:54:45 pm »
Yet one more Nitron fan.
I fitted the Nitron R1 shock to my FZS600 last winter + other mods to the front forks.

The Nitron R1 was built for me by Nitron and built to suit my rider weight fully clothed ready to ride, it was set up perfectly with just the tiniest adjustment because I have lost about a stone in weight since it was built.

The ride is plush with the rebound damping so much better than the Yamaha shock, the back wheel returns to the neutral position fast but the wheel stays in contact with the road, the bottoming out that was happening when riding two up has disappeared, as has the getting thrown off the saddle when hitting large fast bumps.
As I have heard others say a decent shock on the back just highlights the cheap front forks.
There are things that can be done that will help the front end situation, but it will cost you another £150. The Nitron was approx £450

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2017, 06:29:07 am »
The Nitron was approx £450

I don't know what model you got for £450 but this will only buy you the base model now which only has a single damping adjuster that affects both compression and rebound and does not have a remote reservoir so in terms of features is below the standard of the OEM shock let alone the R6 unit which I believe has high / low speed adjustment. The NTR-R2 has the same features of the OEM shock and is £610 + VAT the NTR-R3 which has the same features as the R6 shock is £680 + VAT - http://www.nitron.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?catID=12794

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2017, 11:33:24 am »
I hadn't thought about getting the R6 shock resprung etc..or perhaps a rebuild on the OE one which only did 25k miles :b

Any recommendations for rebuilds etc ??(loads on t'internet)

Once I have enuff info I'll decide whether to go new or rebuild one..could always sell the R6 or OE shock :rollin :rollin

Thanks Guys

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2017, 04:06:14 pm »
£400 will get you a bloody good weekend away on the bike. Go do a tour somewhere.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2017, 05:55:17 pm »
The NTR-R2 has the same features of the OEM shock and is £610 + VAT the NTR-R3

Features surely is not the same as quality.  And of course just getting the right spring in there makes a big difference.

Don't know anything about the R6 shock. 

I got the K-Tech upgrade 10 odd years ago.  It's really good but sadly no longer available.  Can't say I'm one for fiddling with settings.  They sent it with a spring to suit my weight and 'neutral' settings dialed in.  I fitted it and rode off, found it superb compared to the OE shock but I've never got round to fiddling wi the settings.  Not sure I'd know what I was doing or looking for.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2017, 06:36:10 pm »

Features surely is not the same as quality.
Of course not, but to my mind sacrificing the ability to independently adjust the compression and rebound damping is not something that I would consider to be an upgrade regardless of the quality. I would much rather have the OEM shock refurbished and resprung or have an R6 shock and retain the full range of adjustments. I would actually be put off buying a bike with that level of suspension on it regardless of the badge. However if you don't bother adjusting your suspension for whatever reason then I can see the appeal but would question whether you are getting the best out of your bike.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2017, 08:21:54 pm »
but would question whether you are getting the best out of your bike.

She was when I got her in 2004 more capable than I and reamins so. :)

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 August 2017, 06:28:40 am »
but would question whether you are getting the best out of your bike.

She was when I got her in 2004 more capable than I and reamins so. :)
I know where you are coming from they are great bikes and are still more than capable of holding their own against the modern competition.

I was never one to play around with my suspension settings until I bought my GEN1 and came to learn how crap the OEM shock was and then how things could be improved. On my quest to get the bike handling as well as it could I found a really helpful chap on these forums called Malc who was an ex racer and who took me out for an afternoon to help me get my suspension set up after I had fitted my Nitron shock. I was able to feel the difference that each change to the damping made (front and rear) and came away from the experience with the bike handling optimally and much more confidence inspiring. I had to revisit the suspension settings when I swapped out my 25mm jack-up kit for a 50mm kit as this impacted on the compression, again after I lost 5 stones in weight, and again after I upgraded the front suspension. I have to say that I found learning about how the different settings affected the bikes handling very interesting and being able to use these to set the bikes handling to how I want very rewarding.

I hope this helps clarify where I'm coming from when I say that I personally wouldn't buy a suspension component that restricts the range of available adjustments and that from my experience getting the best from your bike entails using the available options to get the suspension set up optimally for your own riding style and the types of road you like to ride.

I have no disrespect for folks who choose not to fiddle with their suspension as I was in those ranks for decades.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2017, 06:29:14 am by PieEater »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 August 2017, 01:47:59 pm »

I was never one to play around with my suspension settings until I bought my GEN1 and came to learn how crap the OEM shock was and then how things could be improved.

I think the big problem with the OE shock was the weak spring, it was too softly sprung for the average rider, that in turn meant eventually it burn’t oot the damping which was being overworked and certainly my rear shock was as effective as your average pogo stick after 12,000 miles.  The bike was trying to kill me at times.

But yeah my OE shock long ago turned into a three way adjustable K-Tech unit, and shockingly :eek I’ve never fiddled with it.  I did fiddle with the OE shock, I turned the preload up full and eventually everything else up full. 

I did intend getting sending the front forks off to K-Tech at some point but never quite got round to it.  The OE front is OK (umm as far as I am concerned) but it’s a bit choppy and unresponsive and I’m well aware it could be a lot better, but it’s not trying to throw me off like the OE rear shock was.

I found a really helpful chap on these forums called Malc who was an ex racer and who took me out for an afternoon to help me get my suspension set up after I had fitted my Nitron shock.

That’s just it.  I hear what you are saying.  But me fine tuning suspension – I don’t really have a clue.  I do like the look of Nitron’s hydraulic preload adjuster – that’s handy. 8)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 August 2017, 02:10:29 pm »
£400 will get you a bloody good weekend away on the bike. Go do a tour somewhere.

I'm inclined to agree with this, but otoh, that weekend away on the bike will be much more enjoyable if the thing is handling nicely in the first place.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • Half deaf middle aged drummer!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #14 on: 12 August 2017, 05:05:01 pm »

I'm inclined to agree with this, but otoh, that weekend away on the bike will be much more enjoyable if the thing is handling nicely in the first place.

OH NOOOOOOOOO!!!   What a dilemma you have given the poor OP!   :'(   modify - ride - modify - ride - modify - ride...Aaaarrgh!     :eek

Spend a few quid servicing up the R6 mod-shock set up & then buy several tanks of petrol with the rest! 

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 August 2017, 08:57:28 pm »
I had an R6 shock and a pricey Nitron NTR R2 shock at the same time and ran them both when I had my 1000.

The Nitron felt fractionally better but honestly, not by that much.  Just refresh / rebuild what you have.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 August 2017, 08:11:53 am »
well I've decided to get a Wilbers shock and it's on the way..I'll let everyone know the difference (if any) between the R6 and custom

built shock.. :o be pissed off if there is no real gain from the new one  :\

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 August 2017, 08:55:15 am »
TBH a lot depends on how and where you ride.
If you ride in the dry on good roads once a month well within the speed limit, no lean angle and late acceleration then you probably won't notice much of a difference from the r6 mod.
On the other hand if you ride every day In varied weather and road conditions, like to make progress, accelerate before the apex and want to be able to control a rear end slide then the difference will be night and day.
I find that a lot of people ride the same with a decent shock as they did with the oem and say there's no difference, you only really notice it when you up your game.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 August 2017, 09:14:40 am »
well I've decided to get a Wilbers shock and it's on the way.
Which model did you go for?

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 August 2017, 09:26:57 am »
went for the basic one with the type 640 road..adjustable rebound damping and spring made for my weight..I am a corner addict so I'm hoping the exit on cornering will be better especially now I've got ktech linear springs in the front as well.. :lol £435 total so not too shocking  :D

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 August 2017, 11:46:44 am »
Think the first thing you'll notice is that you can hold a tighter line when accelerating out as the rebound will be doing it's job.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 August 2017, 12:10:05 pm »

Think the first thing you'll notice is that you can hold a tighter line when accelerating out as the rebound will be doing it's job.[/size][/font]

How do you know the rebound isn't doing it's job on the R6 shock? Unlike Kebab19 you don't say that you have personal experience of the R6 unit as well as your Nitron. Kebab19 is not the only person with direct experience of the R6 shock and a quality aftermarket whose opinion is that the R6 shock is as good as you need - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,22826.msg263578.html#msg263578

went for the basic one with the type 640 road..adjustable rebound damping and spring made for my weight..I am a corner addict so I'm hoping the exit on cornering will be better especially now I've got ktech linear springs in the front as well.. :lol £435 total so not too shocking  :D

I hope it makes the difference you are looking for, a lot will depend on the condition of your current R6 shock and your particular riding style, keep us posted.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 August 2017, 12:46:28 pm »
i'm 20 kilos heavier than falcon (Mike gtx) that's why I'm hoping the new shock will outperform the R6 setup..will deffo post again after a couple of weeks of riding :b

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 August 2017, 12:20:08 pm »

Think the first thing you'll notice is that you can hold a tighter line when accelerating out as the rebound will be doing it's job.

How do you know the rebound isn't doing it's job on the R6 shock? Unlike Kebab19 you don't say that you have personal experience of the R6 unit as well as your Nitron. Kebab19 is not the only person with direct experience of the R6 shock and a quality aftermarket whose opinion is that the R6 shock is as good as you need - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,22826.msg263578.html#msg263578

You are absolutely correct, I have no experience of the R6 shock on the FZ1 but I do have experience of it on the R6 and it's just awful there.
Like all Yamaha shocks I have encountered it is way under sprung and under damped. To this end I only respectfully suggest that a shock designed to work for a large variety of riders on a bike that only weighs 190Kg is not going to work as well on a bike that weighs 220kg with different swingarm/linkage geometry as a shock that is specifically built for a riders weight, bike and riding style/requirements.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 August 2017, 02:23:04 pm »
You are absolutely correct, I have no experience of the R6 shock on the FZ1 but I do have experience of it on the R6 and it's just awful there.
Like all Yamaha shocks I have encountered it is way under sprung and under damped. To this end I only respectfully suggest that a shock designed to work for a large variety of riders on a bike that only weighs 190Kg is not going to work as well on a bike that weighs 220kg with different swingarm/linkage geometry as a shock that is specifically built for a riders weight, bike and riding style/requirements.
Checking Luke's thread on the R6 mod shows that the majority of people are more than happy with the results, I suspect (Luke might be able to confirm) that the difference in geometry has the effect of firming the compression damping similar to when you fit shorter dog bones.

For those that aren't happy it will be more cost effective to get the R6 shock re-sprung, re-valved, and serviced to the riders specifications than buying a new shock, which will often lack the range of adjustment found on the R6 unit.

Of course at times we all suffer from the compulsion to buy something new and shiny and there's nothing wrong with that :D