Date: 16-04-24  Time: 12:05 pm

Author Topic: Oil change - will this cause issues?  (Read 11166 times)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Oil change - will this cause issues?
« Reply #25 on: 07 August 2017, 08:15:26 pm »
I've been following this thread from the start and I agree with a lot of the sentiments.  :lurk
In the General Aviation industry, we deal with a huge range of oils, like the motorcycle/car argument there are a lot of individual tastes as too where the money goes. The usual oil in use in the UK, (in flying training establishments) is a grade known as W80. There are grades higher than this (W100, W120 & W130) and depending on ambient temperature depends what goes in, i.e. some customers will operate with W80 in the winter and W100 in the summer. Add to the mix, the recommended oils for breaking in an aircraft piston engine (which are known as straight oils with no additives) in the same grades as above and you have a good idea of some of the conversations that take place. I've had customers request the use of 15W50 (aviation grade) as its "a good all rounder" but I've also seen cylinder damage occur in engines using this oil.
So - oil - its a personal thing, like salt and vinegar on chips.
However, in 35 yrs of owning and riding bikes I've never bought a bike specific oil (mainly because I couldn't afford it!) and I've never had any clutch issues either (and the bikes have included most of the Suzuki GS range, Honda singles and twins, GSX1100FL, FJR1300). Depending on the mileage, depended on the grade used - but the GSX for instance was running happily on 20W50 car oil and had 95,000 miles on the clock.
Currently I have a Gen 1 Thou and a VT750 Shadow, both with Asda's 10W40 Semi-synthetic (car oil) in. Both get changed twice a year as a minimum or more if the mileage calls for it. 20,000 miles and 3 years since buying the Yam and not an issue - or have I just been lucky?  :rollin :rollin

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 August 2017, 08:30:17 pm »
Yamaha specifies (in the 2005 owner's manual) API service SE, SF, SG type or higher.  When you check the API website, it says that all these specs are obsolete.  It also cautions that SG may not be suitable for petrol engines built after 1993.  The other two are not suitable for motors built after 1979 and 1988.  WTF? 

What VNA said about the JASO MA1 & MA2 specs is true.  JASO are the only organisation that actually test oils for clutch slippage in motorcycles.  If you're really concerned about this possibility, it follows that you should only buy a JASO MA1/2 approved oil.  But a lot of the bike-specific oils on sale in the UK haven't been tested by JASO, so where does that leave us? :)

The answer is it leaves us in a minefield.  As I've said already, if you aren't sure then play safe and get something with a picture of a bike on the can.  It's the sensible thing to do.  But there are better oils out there and cheaper ones, too.  If you feel inclined to work out which is which, you can save a few quid and put a higher quality oil into your motor.   

Right, tyres ... round and black works for me. ;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 August 2017, 10:35:51 pm »
WTF?

Indeed.

The answer is it leaves us in a minefield.

Aye :lol

Now looking at the manual for the MT10, that so far I have managed somehow to resist purchasing, it recommends;

Full synthetic
SEA grades 10w-40,   15w-50
API service SG type or higher JASO MA.

WTF indeed.

The other bit that puzzles me is, why if Yamaha are now specifying fully synth oil are we stuck with 6000 mile oil changes.
A 997 911 Porsche for example is 2 years or 20,000 miles.

Which is a thought.  I might switch to fully synth and change my oil every other year, rather than every year as I do with semi-synth.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 August 2017, 11:23:51 pm »
The cruncher - literally - with any oil in a motorcycle engine is the shearing of the viscosity index improvers (VII) that takes place courtesy of the gearbox. 

Synthetic oils have varying amounts of these depending on the viscosity of the base oil and the desired multigrade viscosity numbers.  I picked up on the bit in the article which pointed out that 10w40 synthetics have more VII molecules than say, 15w40 or 20w50 oils.  Since the VIIs don't lubricate, the more of these required to produce an extended multigrade viscosity range, the less the oil is able to do the friction reduction thing.  Also, with more VIIs to break down in the gearbox, the upper viscosity falls off quicker than in oils with fewer VIIs.  Make sense?  Anyway, as I understand it those are the main reasons why extended life synthetics can't give the same in-service mileages in bikes as in cars. :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 August 2017, 11:32:11 pm »
Funny you should say that Dea...... Bridgestone Batlax T30 has a very good write up much better than the earlier models I site the BT021 as an example, but some believe that the BT023 is a better tyre.

lol here we go again  :lol

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 August 2017, 11:58:56 pm »
Wot about a nice chain maintenance thread  8)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 August 2017, 07:03:49 am »
WD40 explodes O-ring chains.  Fact.   :eek

Dea-ville

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 August 2017, 07:27:26 am »
And grey is the fastest colour Fazer thou. :lol

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 August 2017, 07:42:30 am »
There is always the elephant in the room. Which grips are best.
Intentionally left blank

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 August 2017, 09:07:42 am »
There is always the elephant in the room. Which grips are best.

I find two hands tightly around the fucking throat helps LOL!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #35 on: 08 August 2017, 10:29:33 am »
I've been following this thread from the start and I agree with a lot of the sentiments.  :lurk
In the General Aviation industry, we deal with a huge range of oils, like the motorcycle/car argument there are a lot of individual tastes as too where the money goes. The usual oil in use in the UK, (in flying training establishments) is a grade known as W80. There are grades higher than this (W100, W120 & W130) and depending on ambient temperature depends what goes in, i.e. some customers will operate with W80 in the winter and W100 in the summer. Add to the mix, the recommended oils for breaking in an aircraft piston engine (which are known as straight oils with no additives) in the same grades as above and you have a good idea of some of the conversations that take place. I've had customers request the use of 15W50 (aviation grade) as its "a good all rounder" but I've also seen cylinder damage occur in engines using this oil.
However, in 35 yrs of owning and riding bikes I've never bought a bike specific oil (mainly because I couldn't afford it!) and I've never had any clutch issues either (and the bikes have included most of the Suzuki GS range, Honda singles and twins, GSX1100FL, FJR1300). Depending on the mileage, depended on the grade used - but the GSX for instance was running happily on 20W50 car oil and had 95,000 miles on the clock.
Currently I have a Gen 1 Thou and a VT750 Shadow, both with Asda's 10W40 Semi-synthetic (car oil) in. Both get changed twice a year as a minimum or more if the mileage calls for it. 20,000 miles and 3 years since buying the Yam and not an issue - or have I just been lucky?  :rollin :rollin

How can you not afford oil? Compared to fuel prices between changes - it mealts down to nothing. Even disregarding that - how much more does motorbike specific oil cost compared to a cheap car oil? 1/2 of a petrol tank price?

I've had bad experiences trying to skimp on oil, so never do so. Always go with motorbike, fully synth oil. It costs about the same in the long run - since it allows for a bit more miles between oil changes, but the main reason for using it is a peace of mind - if anything happens to the engine/clutch, I'm certain it's not caused by poor oil.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 August 2017, 12:35:00 pm »
My understanding is that under the same conditions, a fully synth oil will degrade slower than a semi-synth oil, which will degrade slower than a pure mineral oil. So if I want to ride around the world without a service, or just extend the service interval beyond manufacturers spec, I will use full synth. If I am not planning on extending the service period, but want to be safe just in case, I will use semi-synth, but since I normally plan to change the oil more frequently then spec, I am comfortable using whatever I have to hand.
I have never worn out a clutch and I have only ever had a clutch slippage once, which an oil change fixed.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 August 2017, 01:48:58 pm »
My understanding is that under the same conditions, a fully synth oil will degrade slower than a semi-synth oil, which will degrade slower than a pure mineral oil.......
Yes but as Mike pointed out a couple of posts earlier it is more complicated than that, a 10w40 semi synthetic which is what most people use in their bikes will be less effective as a lubricant than a 15w40 semi synthetic oil from the get go and will also need to be replaced sooner.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 August 2017, 02:33:33 pm »

How can you not afford oil? Compared to fuel prices between changes - it mealts down to nothing. Even disregarding that - how much more does motorbike specific oil cost compared to a cheap car oil? 1/2 of a petrol tank price?

I've had bad experiences trying to skimp on oil, so never do so. Always go with motorbike, fully synth oil. It costs about the same in the long run - since it allows for a bit more miles between oil changes, but the main reason for using it is a peace of mind - if anything happens to the engine/clutch, I'm certain it's not caused by poor oil.

Affordability? At that particular time in my life, money was non-existent. To the point I was using 2nd hand tyres on the GS650 I was using at the time (removed from Police BMW's with 5mm + tread left), in order to keep riding to be able to get to work savings had to be made. You obviously did not read the rest of the post, with regards to the lack of issues based on the experiences gained whilst not spending money, which I did not have at the time.
To really wind you up, I semi - retired that particular machine in 2002 with around 65,000 miles on the clock - most of which had been done with car grade 20W50. As I cannot leave things alone, I have stripped the engine to find the internals in very good condition for a machine built in the 1980's. It will be going back together as a resto project and I will be putting whatever oil I choose in it, as it is my choice, based on my experiences and my skills as a qualified aircraft piston engine engineer. (And that qualification and experience covers Radials, Rotarys, Flat 4's, 6's & 8's, Inverted in-lines, V's, Air & liquid cooled, Wankel rotarys, in both 2 stroke and 4 stroke styles!)
I will more than likely, do as the OP asked, as I can now due to being in a better place, put a poor quality oil in and use it as a "flush". It is a good idea. It is unlikely to harm anything unless it is full of the friction modifiers which have been mentioned in earlier responses. :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 August 2017, 04:22:26 pm »
Well this has totally done my nut in :'( . I've happily been using Motul 5100 10/40 semi synth. For the sake of a few quid, for peace of mind etc would I be better off using Motul 7100 10/40 fully synth which is the same spec as the 5100 but includes API SN and is MOT 118 rather than 112( whatever any of that means). Will be due an oil change within the next few weeks.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 August 2017, 06:10:15 pm »
Motul 7100 is Ester based 100% synthetic (no mineral oil) so would be a good choice - https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/7100-4t-10w40--2
« Last Edit: 08 August 2017, 06:10:57 pm by PieEater »

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #41 on: 08 August 2017, 07:08:59 pm »
Affordability? At that particular time in my life, money was non-existent. To the point I was using 2nd hand tyres on the GS650 I was using at the time (removed from Police BMW's with 5mm + tread left), in order to keep riding to be able to get to work savings had to be made. You obviously did not read the rest of the post, with regards to the lack of issues based on the experiences gained whilst not spending money, which I did not have at the time.
To really wind you up, I semi - retired that particular machine in 2002 with around 65,000 miles on the clock - most of which had been done with car grade 20W50. As I cannot leave things alone, I have stripped the engine to find the internals in very good condition for a machine built in the 1980's. It will be going back together as a resto project and I will be putting whatever oil I choose in it, as it is my choice, based on my experiences and my skills as a qualified aircraft piston engine engineer. (And that qualification and experience covers Radials, Rotarys, Flat 4's, 6's & 8's, Inverted in-lines, V's, Air & liquid cooled, Wankel rotarys, in both 2 stroke and 4 stroke styles!)
I will more than likely, do as the OP asked, as I can now due to being in a better place, put a poor quality oil in and use it as a "flush". It is a good idea. It is unlikely to harm anything unless it is full of the friction modifiers which have been mentioned in earlier responses. :lol

I've lived most of my life in a country with an average monthly pay of under 400 euros (most of the time below that number), and still find it a bad economy to spare money on oil. We're talking about 10 euro price difference per oil change (unless prices in UK differ by a lot). I also don't see a point in saving some money per oil change, then doing oil changes more often. For all I know (not an engine engineer though), changing oil more often than specified does nothing to protect the engine better, unless it is a really bad quality oil - even then, the engine is better protected with a god quality oil, changed per manufacturer's recommendations for oil change intervals.

As for engine wear and protection, I doubt that car oil does as good job as a good quality fully synthetic motor bike specific oil. Again - at really minimal savings.

My oil of choice is Motul 7100, 10w40 grade, and so far my Fazer has only about 70.000 kilometers and no noticeable/measurable oil consumption between 6 to 10 k km oil changes (depending on mileage).

Until I see a parallel test of two engines run on a car and motorcycle specific oil, I'd rather not risk it.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09 August 2017, 12:39:17 pm »
Until I see a parallel test of two engines run on a car and motorcycle specific oil, I'd rather not risk it.
Until I see a parallel test showing one worse then the other, I don't see a risk.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #43 on: 09 August 2017, 03:32:39 pm »
Until I see a parallel test showing one worse then the other, I don't see a risk.

I understand your point. Also, your vast experience with trouble free use of car oil does sound encouraging. However, for what research I could find (might sound like a digression, but I'll get to the point), synthetic oil is superior to mineral/semi synth oil in terms of high temp stability, low temp flow and engine wear protection. Price difference between good quality fully synth car and motorcycle oil is very small (at least in my country) - of course, most synthetic car oils can't be used with a (motorcycle's) wet clutch. So it boils down to - motorcycle specific fully synth vs mineral oil (price difference between car and motorcycle mineral oils aren't that big either, though bigger than between the synth ones).

It is just the matter of whether the benefits do make a difference in say a 200.000 km long motorcycle engine lifetime, after which probably most other parts will be shot and a new(er) bike will be bought. One should also take prolonged service interval that fully synth oils provide into consideration - since it ends up in less oil changes (less hassle), with similar amount of money spent on oil.

Do you have experience with disassembling similar engines after numerous oil changes - are the ones run with synthetic oils different to the ones run on mineral oil in terms of wear and dirt deposits?
« Last Edit: 09 August 2017, 03:37:25 pm by Slaninar »

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 August 2017, 05:27:00 pm »
I think any experienced mechanic will tell you that they can not tell what oil is, or has been in an engine, but they can usually tell you if it has been changed frequently or or not.

Put simply, if you let the oil wear out, it will not protect you and damage will occur. Quality oil will wear out slower then cheap oil, but if you  change the oil before it wears out, then you stay protected so it doesn't matter which you use. If you want to be able to change less frequently, then use quality oil.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #45 on: 09 August 2017, 06:52:57 pm »
I think any experienced mechanic will tell you that they can not tell what oil is, or has been in an engine, but they can usually tell you if it has been changed frequently or or not.

Put simply, if you let the oil wear out, it will not protect you and damage will occur. Quality oil will wear out slower then cheap oil, but if you  change the oil before it wears out, then you stay protected so it doesn't matter which you use. If you want to be able to change less frequently, then use quality oil.

For all I know, changing oil too often is also harmful - not as much as changing too late, but far from optimal.

Aren't fully synthetic oils less likely to cause sludge build up inside the engine?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 August 2017, 08:11:20 pm »

Affordability? At that particular time in my life, money was non-existent.
We're talking about 10 euro price difference per oil change (unless prices in UK differ by a lot).

I remember those days too.  As a second year SSEB apprentice I was chuffed to bits to get my hands on my old boys Opel Record 2.0   My old boy wasn’t one for wasting money on cars, and in fact the old Opel had been making him money on travelling expenses as he continued to refuse to accept a company car.  So it was pretty well worn by the time I got my hands on it.  It had 120,000 on the clock, though that had been faulty in the past so it was more like 140 or 150k – a lot of miles for a car in them days.  It wasn’t long before the old thing wasn’t too keen on starting.  The starting routine ended up something like this – get the air box off, free of the carb flaps, prime the carb with petrol, wack the starter motor a few times with a solid steel bar, place car in gear and rock backwards and forwards a few times (dunno if that really helped but it seemed to), put the air box back on, get in the car, turn the key and hope for the best.  It was frequently bump started and it was always a good idea to park facing down hill.
The battery was pretty much done and eventually gave up the ghost.  I didn’t have money for a new one, so I bump started the car, drove it to work, got the battery out and took it to the chemistry department at the Power Station I worked at.  There I emptied out the battery acid and then it was filled with fresh strong acid.  That got me another two months out of the battery.  Every penny counted.
Another feature of that car was it kept running after you turned it off.  Presumably cos of the worn out carb combined with lots of hot carbon deposits, at times it would stutter away for a minute or two before grinding to a halt.  The gear box eventually was down to 1st,2nd and 4th, and now and again you got some severe valve clatter as the hydraulic tappets were done.  It only did 20mpg, but I got some cash from giving folks lifts so that paid for the petrol at 1.50 a gallon.
Oil change?  Castrol GTX borrowed from the old boy’s garage.  Anyway, MOT time came and that killed it off, so had to cycle to and from work till I got enough pennies together to buy myself something else. 
The apprentices we have today, I don’t think they know what skint is, they are all driving new cars on PCP.  Back then we all serviced our own cars and fixed anything that went wrong (or ignored it if we could), today they go for a service at the main dealer – all part of the package.
So yeah I know where Mike’s coming from when he says he didn’t have money for bike oil.
Got my bike license on the C90 in 1987.  It wasn’t hip, it wasn’t cool, but it was there, it was free and it got me through my test.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09 August 2017, 10:53:58 pm »
Those were the good old days, I had a beige coloured mk2 Cortina that never had an oil change in 20,000 miles, when the gearbox gave up the ghost I fitted one from a mk1 Cortina that meant I had to cut another hole in the transmission tunnel as the gearstick was now in a different position.
I gave the Cortina to my older brother for free, he did another 10,000 miles in it with no oil change before he wrote it off.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 August 2017, 11:15:39 pm »
You were lucky! I used to have a Reliant Robin, that only had reverse gear working. I used to drive it backwards to work every day with a sump full of Mazola 20/50 cooking oil, and then when I got to work we had to drain it so we could fry the chips. Then going home it wouldn't start and I'd have to push it into the canal and row it all the way back again.

Four Yorkshiremen  :D
« Last Edit: 09 August 2017, 11:22:40 pm by mtread »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 August 2017, 12:10:12 am »
that meant I had to cut another hole in the transmission tunnel as the gearstick was now in a different position.

:lol :lol :lol

You were lucky! I used to have a Reliant Robin, that only had reverse gear working. I used to drive it backwards to work every day with a sump full of Mazola 20/50 cooking oil, and then when I got to work we had to drain it so we could fry the chips. Then going home it wouldn't start and I'd have to push it into the canal and row it all the way back again.

Steady.  For Focs Sake!  :rolleyes