Date: 18-04-24  Time: 03:15 am

Author Topic: Gen 2 generators  (Read 2176 times)

daveclark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - bergman
    • View Profile
Gen 2 generators
« on: 11 June 2017, 09:47:53 am »
Well just been reading on FZ1 owners on Facebook that the generators can disintegrate? He's put pics on and it doesn't look good can be a new engine with the fragments getting in the gear box?! Anyone heard of it on here, he does state that 2010 versions have the modified generator which doesn't disintegrate.????

😳 Don't want that going at speed!

daveclark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - bergman
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 2 generators
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2017, 09:55:24 am »
Replace your Generator assembly's folks. 2010 revision avoids catastrophic failure, resulting in the stator needing to replaced as well..

Quote from the add.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2017, 09:56:03 am by daveclark »

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2017, 10:30:19 am »

Facebook? A very reliable source of timely and accurate information.

daveclark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - bergman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2017, 12:17:35 pm »
I've asked a question, if you can't answer it with a reasonable answer then don't comment, what have I done to you! I have googled it and there has been a few issues.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2017, 03:53:57 pm »
I've asked a question, if you can't answer it with a reasonable answer then don't comment, what have I done to you! I have googled it and there has been a few issues.
That facebook attitude wont serve you very well on this forum and the technical part of your question had been addressed two days before I posted. 

If you had searched the issue, why did you feel the need to ask, on the actual Fazer owners forum, whether or not anybody had heard of it? Why didn't you just search this forum to see what (if anything) Fazer owners had to say about their own bikes? What issues we had encountered, how many of us had encountered them and what we had done about it.

daveclark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - bergman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2017, 10:33:50 pm »
You sound like a lovely fellow, not everyone thinks like you, think I'm fogging a dead horse here, its of another forum, it's just off face book, there owners of bikes like we are, not sure why you have a bee in your bonnet, I'll leave you to it.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2017, 06:53:37 am »
Just got an fz1 gen 2 did do a fair amount of research before I parted with any cash, I did not find anything about the generators having a problem. I would also be interested in answer from members on this forum. Not being a member or knowing this forum even existed at that time I did not research on here. I am a member of a couple more owners forums as I have 3 bikes both the other forums the members are keen to help and always points you in the right direction without the bad attitude.     

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2017, 01:03:41 pm »
Just got an fz1 gen 2 did do a fair amount of research before I parted with any cash, I did not find anything about the generators having a problem. I would also be interested in answer from members on this forum. Not being a member or knowing this forum even existed at that time I did not research on here. I am a member of a couple more owners forums as I have 3 bikes both the other forums the members are keen to help and always points you in the right direction without the bad attitude.     
Do a search with the keyword 'stator' instead of 'generator' and you will find what you are looking for. There is a very rare issue with the glue that holds the magnets in the stator failing which usually results in the failure of the charging system. It is quite an expensive fix from what I have read, but if you do suffer it and are planning on spending that sort of money, you can get uprated parts (post 2010 I think, but don't forget the new cover) which will reduce the risk of it happening again even further. The same problem also affected a small number of R1's, but it is not the sort of thing where you go looking for a preemptive fix. 

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2017, 08:05:40 pm »
Cheers Paul as it's a rare issue don't think I'm going to lose sleep about it.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2017, 08:14:28 pm by steve 10562cc »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2017, 08:25:45 pm »

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2017, 12:01:58 pm »
Seems like it does happen  http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,22776.0.html

Yes it does happen. Out of 21 thousand posts in Sale and Wanted, 6 include the text 'stator' and only the one you referenced was requesting a new one. I would say that qualifies as rare, wouldn't you?

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2017, 02:57:38 pm »
Strange isn't it how the odd few complaints can give a bike/car bad reputation, we all forget about the hundreds of thousands that never have a problem.