Date: 19-04-24  Time: 05:33 am

Author Topic: ngk iridium  (Read 4165 times)

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
ngk iridium
« on: 23 March 2017, 08:02:09 pm »
Hi folks, what do you make of this. ok they were fitted 2 years ago, 7k miles. I know i replaced the plug caps correctly. my Question is whats the point in fitting iridium (supposedly longer life) when the rest of the plug is made from recycled baked bean cans >: :\

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: ngk iridium
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2017, 09:27:22 am »
It might be worth you clearing the drain holes from the plug wells. It looks like they are blocked and your plugs have been sitting in an inch or two of water.

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2017, 01:00:41 pm »
Simon,

You're clever.......can you enlighten me as to where they are. I've never even thought about it  :rolleyes

Ta muchly

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2017, 07:34:25 pm »

As said above.

Looks like your running rich

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2017, 08:53:34 pm »
Replaced my plugs recently. They had only been fitted last August and were pretty corroded. The drain hole was totally clear.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2017, 12:18:30 am »
Thanks for the input guys, hadn't a clue about the drain holes but was a bit sus about runnin rich.
Cheers all.

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2017, 11:13:23 pm »
Hi , found the drain hole,(thanks) ran a ss wire full length and checked each plug port with a mirror/ light. It was perfectly clear so standing by my previous rant...for the mo :(

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2017, 11:48:03 pm »
If you running very slightly rich it might be worth checking you air filter is clean, cos, a grubby filter can cause that. Certainly check it before tweaking carbs. 

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2017, 09:49:31 am »
I replaced my NGK Iridium plugs after 24k and they didn't look anything near as corroded as those. The web is full of posts about knock-off NGK plugs which is why I only buy from reputable stores and not an eBay merchant.

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2017, 12:23:15 am »
Hi Tommyardin, its a K&N air filter fitted same time as iridium plugs, it was totally clean but soaking (i mean dripping with fuel) when i checked it a few weeks ago and from what ive gathered so far is I think I have a carb issue. cheers

Hi PieEater now I Know why folks call em Halfrauds cos thats where I bought the plugs. Cheers

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2017, 04:58:45 pm »
Hi folks, what do you make of this. ok they were fitted 2 years ago, 7k miles. I know i replaced the plug caps correctly. my Question is whats the point in fitting iridium (supposedly longer life) when the rest of the plug is made from recycled baked bean cans >: :\
If you haven't checked them in the last two years, I wonder what state all the other metal bits you don't look at are in? The drain holes may be clear now, but the damage in the pictures looks pretty much exactly what I would expect if the plugs were left sitting in a puddle of salty water on a regular basis.

Service manual calls for "Check condition" and "Clean and regap" every 10,000km, looks like you have some serious cleaning to do.

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2017, 08:04:52 pm »
They could also be counterfeit NGK with piss poor metal from good ole China?

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2017, 08:46:41 pm »
So I let the plug service run on for 800 miles what a sin. :eek  the bike is serviced by the book at or around the end of summer. Never used in winter or on the beach.

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2017, 09:50:08 pm »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2017, 10:15:36 pm »
Three season,
I just noticed there does not appear to be any crush seal/washers on any of the plugs in your picture at the beginning of this post.
If they came off as you removed the plugs I would be doubtful that they are genuine plugs in the first place, or did you take them off?
I only check my plugs at the beginning of each year, about 2,500 miles. they are usually slate grey in colour and dry, I wipe a little cooper slip on the threads when they go back in, and I only change the plugs every 4 years or 10,000 what ever comes first.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2017, 10:22:09 pm by tommyardin »

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2017, 10:50:29 pm »
Hi Tommyardin the crush washers are there, i double checked, just cant see them for crud. I have always serviced/ replaced plugs no matter which vehicle by the manual but it seems I expected too much from iridium plugs. Cheers

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2017, 08:37:20 pm »
.......  it seems I expected too much from iridium plugs. Cheers
If the plugs are genuine then you would have had the same issue with standard plugs, the fact that they have iridium tips has nothing to do with the external construction. As I said I replaced my Iridium plugs after 26k and to be honest they didn't need replacing, they certainly didn't look anything like yours. I don't think your experience is typical of iridium plugs or plugs in general. You could send your photo to NGK to see if they have any comments.

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2017, 12:41:15 am »
The standard plugs I removed 7000 mls ago to replace with iridium were pretty good nic so I can only presume they were part of a bad batch like many mass produced stuff manufactured these days. I would like to reiterate that the drain holes were spotless as with the plug ports and my bike is serviced and cleaned to a high standard. Cheeri

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2017, 01:13:18 am »
Theres an article on spotting fake plugs
http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/

They look worse than the iridium I took out of my 600 after it had been sat unused for 4 years outside
NGK not normally that bad , maybe as you say bad batch ?

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2017, 04:32:40 pm »
Simon,

You're clever.......can you enlighten me as to where they are. I've never even thought about it  :rolleyes

Ta muchly

That was'nt a sarcastic post.....I genuinely don't know where the drain holes are! Can anyone tell me

Ta

three season

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 March 2017, 11:17:21 pm »
Hi Timbo, the drain hole is on the left side of the engine and runs through each plug port. Its brill what you can learn on the foc u, Great bunch,..........  well most of em :evil :)