Date: 24-04-24  Time: 02:59 am

Author Topic: Focer font of knowledge Conferencing (covid 19)  (Read 1660 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Focer font of knowledge Conferencing (covid 19)
« on: 27 March 2020, 08:47:16 am »
Trying to arrange a multi person video chat with the family but there are so many options and now confused. There will be 3 in the chat possibly 4 and 1 has ios and the others android.I have looked int houseparty app but it wants to know far to much personal info for my comfort zone. So now looking at Zoom and it looks like only the host has to any signing in ?.
Not all have facebook but we all have watsap.
Any experts out there. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Focer font of knowledge Conferencing (covid 19)
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2020, 08:53:49 am »
You can have 4 people at once on a Whattsapp video chat. Just video call the first person then add the others to the conversation, it's really simple 👍

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2020, 08:54:48 am »
You can have 4 people at once on a Whattsapp video chat. Just video call the first person then add the others to the conversation, it's really simple 👍

I'd second that.
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2020, 09:03:23 am »
Thanks chaps. I thought it was limited to 2 people  :o

Some more for you then.Am I right in thinking that watsapp is not supported on tablets, I have a galaxy tab A 2019.
 Also I have tried and really struggled in the past to get my phone moto G5s to mirror onto my tv - an older smart LG wired to internet as is has no wifi.
I have tried iMedia share and TV cast but have to faf around so much to get them going it drives everyone mad.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2020, 09:05:59 am »

Some more for you then.Am I right in thinking that watsapp is not supported on tablets, I have a galaxy tab A 2019.
 Also I have tried and really struggled in the past to get my phone moto G5s to mirror onto my tv - an older smart LG wired to internet as is has no wifi.
I have tried iMedia share and TV cast but have to faf around so much to get them going it drives everyone mad.

Not sure about tablets but I've got and used it on my laptop  :)
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2020, 09:17:01 am »

Not sure about tablets but I've got and used it on my laptop  :)
The obvious answer is to try it which I have just done and YAY it works BUT it logs me out of my phone  :wall 

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2020, 11:33:08 am »
If you want to mirror your phone onto your TV then I'd suggest buying a google chromecast. It's a little device that plugs into a HDMI port and basically makes any TV a smart TV. It runs off wifi and by using the app on your phone you can cast anything to the big screen, also has all the catch up and youtube etc built into it which is nice.
They're only around £30 but well worth it if your wanting to cast things (cough* cough* dodgy films cough* cough*) 😜

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2020, 02:45:02 pm »
Just seen/spoken to my daughter using Facebook Messenger. She rang me. I have no idea how it works  :(

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2020, 02:55:01 pm »
If you want to mirror your phone onto your TV then I'd suggest buying a google chromecast. It's a little device that plugs into a HDMI port and basically makes any TV a smart TV. It runs off wifi and by using the app on your phone you can cast anything to the big screen, also has all the catch up and youtube etc built into it which is nice.
They're only around £30 but well worth it if your wanting to cast things (cough* cough* dodgy films cough* cough*) 😜
Its frustrating that the mirror apps mean that the tv has to be wifi. The phone is wifi but the tv is hard wired with CAT5 to the same router

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2020, 03:11:02 pm »
Yes that's why I suggest the chromecast. That runs off wifi itself so it doesnt matter about the tv 👍

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2020, 12:25:25 pm »
Just looking into chromecast. Seems it works with whatsapp apart from sound through the tv which is ok. So also now looking into what else I can do with it. Youtube would be useful but we already use netflix through a netflix enabled blueray
 From what I can work out I can not use chromcast to browse the internet via my phone to the tv, is that right. Also I don't use google photos but use a different gallery app and not sure if I can cast my photos with out using google photos.

UPDATE. Just brought one from currys £20 free delivery.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2020, 12:52:32 pm by fazersharp »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2020, 03:10:13 pm »
Just looking into chromecast. Seems it works with whatsapp apart from sound through the tv which is ok. So also now looking into what else I can do with it. Youtube would be useful but we already use netflix through a netflix enabled blueray
 From what I can work out I can not use chromcast to browse the internet via my phone to the tv, is that right. Also I don't use google photos but use a different gallery app and not sure if I can cast my photos with out using google photos.

You may already know by now but you can literally mirror your phone screen to the tv using it so anything you can do with your phone you can do on the tv.
I hope it works out the way you want 👍👍

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2020, 05:28:18 pm »

You may already know by now but you can literally mirror your phone screen to the tv using it so anything you can do with your phone you can do on the tv.
I hope it works out the way you want 👍👍
At only £20 worth a try.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2020, 10:45:17 pm »
If you want decent quality, then you can use Google Duo.
It's already a built in app on later Android phones (in the Google Folder), but you can also download the app from Playstore or the Apple Store.
It can take up to 8 people at once, and can be used on a phone, tablet or laptop.

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-duo

« Last Edit: 29 March 2020, 10:48:38 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2020, 11:41:39 am »
If you want decent quality, then you can use Google Duo.
It's already a built in app on later Android phones (in the Google Folder), but you can also download the app from Playstore or the Apple Store.
It can take up to 8 people at once, and can be used on a phone, tablet or laptop.
https://www.androidcentral.com/google-duo
I wondered what that was. I will give it a go thanks

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2020, 11:03:26 pm »
Update my chromecast has arrived, not plugged it in or anything but a bit pissed off because no advert or picture of it says it also has to be plugged into a power supply via a USB cable. Everything always shows it just plugged and dangled from the hdmi port on the tv.
 My tv is wall mounted with all cables going through the wall and are hidden.
 But all may not be lost because I think I can power it from the tv's usb port so everything will be behind the tv.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2020, 11:39:08 pm »
We've got an Amazon Firestick. Has to be self powered from a socket

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2020, 11:43:24 pm »
Update my chromecast has arrived, not plugged it in or anything but a bit pissed off because no advert or picture of it says it also has to be plugged into a power supply via a USB cable. Everything always shows it just plugged and dangled from the hdmi port on the tv.
 My tv is wall mounted with all cables going through the wall and are hidden.
 But all may not be lost because I think I can power it from the tv's usb port so everything will be behind the tv.

It is either powered by a USB cable or a mains power plug adapter.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 April 2020, 11:48:56 pm »
Be patient when trying to set up your Chromecast, it can take several attempts before it decides to connect.
Once connected it just stays switched on, on whatever HDMI input you choose.
I don't recommend powering it down at night, just leave it as it is, preferably with the tv in Standby mode.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 April 2020, 01:16:12 am »
Just watched some utube stuff but having trouble getting it through my receiver to output to my surround sound. I usually select on the receiver the input blu ray or set top box or tv. In this case I select tv but nothing, can't get it to go through the sound system,  usually its via arc.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 April 2020, 06:42:46 am »
Just watched some utube stuff but having trouble getting it through my receiver to output to my surround sound. I usually select on the receiver the input blu ray or set top box or tv. In this case I select tv but nothing, can't get it to go through the sound system,  usually its via arc.

That may just be a case of patiently going through the settings, and maybe a bit of Googling as well.

I have a Sound Bar that i use with my tv in my bedroom which i found, after a lot of digging, for some weird reason it is incompatible with the Netflix app on my Panasonic 4K tv. I can't get any sound to it at all, but only on Netflix, everything else is fine.
But if i use the Netflix app that is on my Freeview Recorder box it works absolutely fine, even though it still passes through my tv on its way to the sound bar?
I went through every setting possible, changed cables, tried analogue instead of optical, but after looking on the internet i finally found out that it wasn't just my equipment, it was a known problem and if your set up was affected then the two items simply wouldn't work together and nothing could be done about it.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2020, 01:21:49 pm by darrsi »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 April 2020, 11:55:58 am »

That may just be a case of patiently going through the settings, and maybe a bit of Googling as well.

I have a Sound Bar that i use with my tv in my bedroom which i found, after a lot of digging, for some weird reason it is incompatible with the Netflix app on my Panasonic 4K tv. I can't get any sound to it at all, but only on Netflix, everything else is fine.
But if i use the Netflix app that is on my Freeview Recorder box it works absolutely fine, even though it still passes through my tv on its way to the sound bar?
I went through every setting possible, changed cables, tried analogue instead of digital, but after looking on the internet i finally found out that it wasn't just my equipment, it was a known problem and if your set up was affected then the two items simply wouldn't work together and nothing could be done about it.
Sometimes tec is just sh1t and drives me round the bend. Every-time I want to watch something through a different media I spend ages faffing through sound settings.
 With your sound issues have you tried an optical cable connection. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 April 2020, 01:21:09 pm »

I went through every setting possible, changed cables, tried analogue instead of digital, but after looking on the internet i finally found out that it wasn't just my equipment, it was a known problem and if your set up was affected then the two items simply wouldn't work together and nothing could be done about it.
Sometimes tec is just sh1t and drives me round the bend. Every-time I want to watch something through a different media I spend ages faffing through sound settings.
 With your sound issues have you tried an optical cable connection.

Sorry, i wrote digital instead of optical. That's my work lingo creeping in.  :lol